Hitch Falure - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Hitch Falure

Old 12-21-2018, 06:04 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I take my Reese hitch out by hand. I dead lift it and walk it back to the tailgate and put it on a car that is level with the tail gate. Got to get your work out somehow.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:41 AM
Edd505
Junior User
Edd505 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Edd505 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 2009kr View Post
My B&W companion (BWRVK3300) easily separates into two 75# parts - no engine lift needed.

Yep but us old guys do it the easy way, wrap a chain, push button, gone. Why lift when it can be done for you? Spent a lot of years using my back till I could afford some creature comforts in a big shop.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:54 AM
BPofMD
FTE MD Chapter Ldr
BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I take my Reese hitch out by hand. I dead lift it and walk it back to the tailgate and put it on a car that is level with the tail gate. Got to get your work out somehow.
Scott, you will regret this in the future. Listen to someone who KNOWS !

Old 12-22-2018, 07:18 PM
191124x7
Elder User
191124x7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
I do this too, after taking the head assembly off first.

Except I put it on the edge of the tailgate, then lift it off.

But I am a power lifter and routinely lift hundreds of pounds many times per week.

Old 12-22-2018, 08:48 PM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
When I take my Resse 20K out of the truck I brake it down into it's 3 pieces, the head, saddle and base and set it on the tailgate before moving it out of the truck, no problem even for a old fart.
Denny

Old 12-29-2018, 07:22 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
And I just converted my 5er to a goosebox, so all I have to lift out of the bed is a 5 pound ball!

Old 12-30-2018, 07:09 AM
jsm180
Posting Guru
jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.jsm180 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by 99150 View Post
And I just converted my 5er to a goosebox, so all I have to lift out of the bed is a 5 pound ball!
My Goosebox was delivered fri, tried a slider, Andersen and currently using a Curt Q20. Looking forward to a better ride and rid of the rails in the bed.

Old 01-05-2019, 03:27 PM
Alleydog
New User
Alleydog is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
When I take my Resse 20K out of the truck I brake it down into it's 3 pieces, the head, saddle and base and set it on the tailgate before moving it out of the truck, no problem even for a old fart.
Denny
Or a Anderson Ultimate. One piece, 40 or so lbs.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:26 PM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Alleydog View Post
Or a Anderson Ultimate. One piece, 40 or so lbs.
We travel all over the US and stayed in numerous CGs and in the last 5 years I've seen maybe 6 Anderson hitches, so I don't thinking experienced RVers are a pretty good judge of what hitches worked the best and don't fail when someone pulls on them a little to hard. I've had the brake away switch get pulled on my 16K trailer when moving and the only thing that happened to my 20K Reese hitch was nothing, the trailer brakes locked and stopped the truck and life when on. I'll take the extra weight and piece of mind.

Denny

Old 01-05-2019, 09:23 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'll take the extra weight of a proven solid steel BW hitch hands down..

Old 01-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Irelands child
Posting Guru
Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 7591250sd View Post
I'll take the extra weight of a proven solid steel BW hitch hands down..

It defies my thinking why so many feel that a B&W is so heavy. On a puck style, each piece weighs 65 pounds and takes me about 15 minutes to install or remove, with much of that time removing the four locks. It gets put on the tail gateuntil I get off the bed then put on a dolly to be slid under my work bench. Guys, get a grip! That is not much weight for anyoe is any sort of physical condition. Heck, I'm in my 70s and even now it's not much (none!)of a prob;em. As far as an Anderson, besides being teally tier of hearing about how great it is, I still prefer a design that's been proven by OTR truckers along with physical robustness. It is your choice but make sure that you do your homework well ( oh and how many have I seen - a coupe in 5 years of being aware of the Anderson)

Old 01-06-2019, 07:50 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
I.C., it defies my logic why people equate heavier with better, nowadays manufacturers are intentionally going lighter/ stronger. To me, several pieces of 65# vs a single 40# is a no brainer.
New items generally take awhile to gain acceptance, the AUH is no different.

Originally I too was skeptical, then I tried it; I like it.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:56 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Just to be ornery, I can't wait for the Anderson folks to come out with one made of composites, only 12# and never needs maintenance.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:56 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
It defies my thinking why so many feel that a B&W is so heavy. On a puck style, each piece weighs 65 pounds and takes me about 15 minutes to install or remove, with much of that time removing the four locks. It gets put on the tail gateuntil I get off the bed then put on a dolly to be slid under my work bench. Guys, get a grip! That is not much weight for anyoe is any sort of physical condition. Heck, I'm in my 70s and even now it's not much (none!)of a prob;em. As far as an Anderson, besides being teally tier of hearing about how great it is, I still prefer a design that's been proven by OTR truckers along with physical robustness. It is your choice but make sure that you do your homework well ( oh and how many have I seen - a coupe in 5 years of being aware of the Anderson)
My purpose was not to blame BW for being overly heavy, just that a more pounds is worth it for the greatly added strength. I lift my Patriot out easily in 2 pieces myself.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:25 AM
Postmaster
99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation99150 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
And my back is old, (in my 70ís also) it hurts most of the time, I find the 5th wheel hitches not so terribly heavy but awkward to lift along with the weight involved. The B&W is a great system. But the 5lb. Gooseball is much easier to handle. And I like the air ride of the Goosebox. The only downside is that it is a little more of a pain to hook up.
I know nothing about the Anderson system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hitch Falure

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.