Hitch Falure - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Hitch Falure

Old 10-25-2017, 09:53 AM
USSenator
Elder User
USSenator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ssunit1 View Post
This link shows a test of the AUH where the aluminum hitch is compressed to almost 55K lbs before failure.
I saw that and I was impressed. It is a perfectly good, square on, test.

What it doesn't show are possibly real life examples of twisting and turning while putting on a heavy load.

55K lbs square on, may be less stress than 15K lbs at a diagonal push, such as going down a steep hill on a curve and hitting a bump.

Old 10-25-2017, 10:00 AM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by USSenator View Post
I saw that and I was impressed. It is a perfectly good, square on, test.

What it doesn't show are possibly real life examples of twisting and turning while putting on a heavy load.

55K lbs square on, may be less stress than 15K lbs at a diagonal push, such as going down a steep hill on a curve and hitting a bump.
Going down steep hill and hitting a bump with the brakes on, static loading is one thing but dynamic loading (real life loading) is completely different.

Denny

Old 10-25-2017, 11:13 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
Going down steep hill and hitting a bump with the brakes on, static loading is one thing but dynamic loading (real life loading) is completely different.

Denny

Roger That.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have seen "THAT" video also... some time ago.

my opinion, the video is designed to impress the ill informed.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:22 AM
USSenator
Elder User
USSenator is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
I would be curious to know how much weight is put in a hitch going down a straight highway, and hitting a bump on the interstate. Even that very common example might be more than most people would think.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:58 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have the AUH steel rail mount with the Rota-Flex. Just realizing that I was one of the ill informed I just ordered the lock out kit. Just feeling real lucky that I have not had an issue.
Thinking that I just typically missed something I just looked and no where in my literature that came with the hitch or in any of the write-ups on the Anderson website, that I could find, do I see any warning / comment about using the AUH with the Rota-Flex setup. Even knowing what I was looking for on the AUH site it still took a lot of digging to find it.
That's disappointing, to put it in terms that I can put in print.
I realize that the youtube video I posted earlier about the press test doesn't demo real life stress on the Hitch but there are couple interesting points in that video. First the video shows this crew using the damaged hitch to pull a 20k+ trailer with 5k+ hitch weight to show how strong the hitch is...
Second, the leg that fails in the test is the same one that failed for the OP.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:53 PM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
I haven't seen this with a conventional pinbox, even the MorRyde or Demco, but this is the 2nd or 3rd one I've seen with the Roto-Flex.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 PM
Slowpoke Slim
Elder User
Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.
I believe someone stated on the GD forum that the owner/driver "hit something" going slowly forward, like a curb, or a large pothole. I believe they stated they "felt something" jarring right before the hitch collapsed.

Old 10-25-2017, 08:56 PM
Ferguson65
Postmaster
Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.Ferguson65 has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I haven't seen this with a conventional pinbox, even the MorRyde or Demco, but this is the 2nd or 3rd one I've seen with the Roto-Flex.
Roto flex has been locked out so that point is irrelevant.

Putting something in a press and applying direct and constant down pressure to it means nothing in the real world. That video is nothing more than hype and propaganda.

Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 AM
thomabb
Posting Guru
thomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to beholdthomabb is a splendid one to behold
Static load testing gives a good data point, but the vast majority of structural failure is due to cyclic/dynamic loading causing fatigue failure. I have seen the AUH test in the press, but I have yet to see any cyclic testing. Fatigue failure will happen at significantly lower forces.

I have not ran any FEA numbers on one of these hitches, but I look at it and something in the back of my brain goes "ug". The only real upside to this design is a couple hundred pounds weight savings?

Some of you guys have theorized previous damage led to this failure, and you guys could very well be correct. But I can say the old dog hitch I am using has been getting knocked around and piled on for many years and is still going strong.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:23 AM
Irelands child
Posting Guru
Irelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to beholdIrelands child is a splendid one to behold
I'm no lover of something likr an aluminum trailer hitch when so much is dependent on several someone elses action, I have no bone to pick with an Anderson hitch and had they been available in 208, might have considered a steel one instead of my trusty B&W.

The photos are pretty revealing to me in that the hitch is damaged from corner to corner rather then a straight on pull/push failure. This leads me to think that the damage might be caused while backing into a 'nasty' uphil site in wet, soft sand or heavy, muddy ground with the wheels dug in, multiplying the load by several factors beyond the manufacturers testing. Suddenly that 15000 pound 5er weighs in effect, 30, 45 or maybe even 60.000 pounds as a towed load and well beyond any built in over design. Add a weakened area from possibly the original tube manufacture, a ding of some sort or even hitting it with the weld wire while putting it together at Anderson. Aluminum, tube is not very forgiving. Here's a pretty simple mode of failure analysis write up - look at the 6th one: web.aeromech.usyd.edu.au/AERO3460/Additional%20Documents/tube_failure.pdf

Would I consider an Anderson hitch - yes, as it seems to be a good product but I would never look at the aluminum version

Old 10-26-2017, 09:41 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
I really think that the goose neck AUH version is part of the problem here. I am not an engineer, so correct me if I am wrong. But, in the steel 5th wheel rail mount version like I have there are 4 corners that are securely mounted to the rails. In the goose neck version, there appears to be the one single mounting point and the corners are floating a bit above the bed. Even then, then bed is thin metal, not a rail system by any means.

It is only speculation, but I think that if this owner had the rail version with the 4 points, we would not be seeing these pictures.

The sad part is that we will probably never know how this truly happened or what will come of it.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
In the goose neck version, there appears to be the one single mounting point and the corners are floating a bit above the bed. Even then, then bed is thin metal, not a rail system by any means. .
I looked into the steel gooseneck version andersen ultimate in depth but I needed one even shorter than the special short one they sell. after it is latched onto the gooseneck ball you tighten it up pulling the frame/base down tight to the bed. I almost bought one but would have had to cut it apart to make it work for me.

I person I race motorcycles with has a steel gooseneck one. we talked about a little. In person it was larger tubing than I thought looking at pictures. He has a tri axle toyhauler with 2 patios and all the fancy stuff (heavy) He loves it but warned you need to be sure it is tight,

Old 10-26-2017, 11:13 AM
Sous
Post Fiend
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Brandon, I see your point, but pulling the frame/base down tight to the bed does nothing for me or strength. You can dent the bed with a medium blow from a hammer. Try putting thousands of pounds of weight on it twisting and turning.

Your setup is different, and please don't think that I was referencing the goose neck connections as a whole, Simply the way the AUH goose neck is set up, just looks like a bad idea to me and I probably would have selected the B&W or a Goose Box if my truck had a goose neck hitch on it when I bought it.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:17 AM
brandon_oma#692
Posting Guru
brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.brandon_oma#692 has a great reputation on FTE.
Yep I agree. I feel the bed would need bracing under it tight to the bed. Like if the gooseneck framework extended front and back enough. The framework would support side to side IF it was tight to the bed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hitch Falure

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.