Sponsored by:

Clunk in the front

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 01:53 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
There are diminishing returns because if the springs are too stiff the ride suffers. Adding stronger anti-roll bars reduces body roll improving handling, but get too strong and the ride over uneven surfaces suffers
Yes, but I thought I remembered the Hellwig bars were actually smaller than the OEM front bars, but were more rigid. I don't remember how that info was obtained or the manner in which it was posted (which is why I didn't mention that info to begin with, since I can't remember if the news is "real or fake" LOL ) but that was the info my brain was recalling when I posted up above.

Stewart

Old 10-23-2017, 10:06 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 329 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Yes, but I thought I remembered the Hellwig bars were actually smaller than the OEM front bars, but were more rigid. I don't remember how that info was obtained or the manner in which it was posted (which is why I didn't mention that info to begin with, since I can't remember if the news is "real or fake" LOL ) but that was the info my brain was recalling when I posted up above.

Stewart
Stock bar is 36mm hellwig is 38mm

the torsional stiffness is a 4th power relationship of diameter. Math works out to almost a 20% stiffer bar.

In terms of suspension tuning , 20% is a big jump.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:34 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 936 Likes on 684 Posts
Over time, where the upper front anti-sway bar link connects to the frame, that bolt can loosen and elongate the hole. I'd tighten all 4 front anti-sway bar bolts and eliminate that cause.

Alternately, disconnect them and run over a few bumps to see if the sound is still there.

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2017, 12:54 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Stock bar is 36mm hellwig is 38mm

the torsional stiffness is a 4th power relationship of diameter. Math works out to almost a 20% stiffer bar.

In terms of suspension tuning , 20% is a big jump.
Yup, bad, bad Stewart. Shame on me for propagating bad information.

Sorry Youknowit, and thanks R&T and Camo for posting correct information.

Stewart

Old 10-23-2017, 01:02 PM
youknowitdadio
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the first I've heard that it's not better than stock Stewart. I know the rear one is amazing and a must have. I've read on other sites The Helwig up front is much better than stock unless you lower the truck then it hits on things. But I can think if you're trying to save money then it's probably a "last on the list" item. Me I'll probably do it because I hate that roll on the EX and I want the best tracking machine since I'll probably be going faster than most.

I'll try the tightening of bolts and watch out for the anti-sway bar link or most likely replace all bushing everywhere and new parts where needed up front within the year. Thanks fellas.

And Stewart it's definitely OK to voice your opinion. We all base our opinions on what we read on here and other sites. They all don't align perfect every time.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by youknowitdadio
This is the first I've heard that it's not better than stock.
Just making sure you saw my retraction above? My faulty brain engrams resulted in bad info...you saw that, yes?

It wasn't an opinion I was expressing. I was recalling and posting incorrect, bad info. A big difference between the two.

I too like better handling rigs and have always modded my suspensions, including the Crown Vic I used to have many, many years ago. I just remembered wrong regarding this specific mod is all.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 10-23-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 329 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by R&T Babich
Look under any police cruiser and see what size bars they have.
Fair assumption the cops don't care about rear seat passenger comfort.

It's a good illustration though, specific needs of cop cars would choose handling over comfort.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:15 PM
youknowitdadio
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Just making sure you saw my retraction above? My faulty brain engrams resulted in bad info...you saw that, yes?

Stewart
Hard to tell on text, you can never quite grasp the inflections. It could be taken a few ways: Maybe you felt ganged up on, or maybe you really wanted to retract the statement. I'll take the latter one in this case.

As far as saving money before my dream build, I'll probably just tighten all the bolts and see what happens first.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by youknowitdadio
Hard to tell on text, you can never quite grasp the inflections. It could be taken a few ways: Maybe you felt ganged up on, or maybe you really wanted to retract the statement. I'll take the latter one in this case.

As far as saving money before my dream build, I'll probably just tighten all the bolts and see what happens first.
LOL, a situation that perfectly illustrates that nothing can assumed on the 'net, and no two people will read the same thing and make the same conclusions afterwards!

My post above was exactly what you see. Me chastising myself for posting bad info ("bad, bad, Stewart"), along with a straight-up apology to you for posting the bad info ("Sorry Youknowit"), and then a "thanks" to R&T and Camo for correcting the bad info ("thanks R&T and Camo...")

Stewart

PS - I'm a big man. It would take quite a few guys to make me feel "ganged up on" or just one Tor...because he's truly, a VERY big man!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 10-23-2017 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:34 PM
youknowitdadio
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Over time, where the upper front anti-sway bar link connects to the frame, that bolt can loosen and elongate the hole. I'd tighten all 4 front anti-sway bar bolts and eliminate that cause.

Alternately, disconnect them and run over a few bumps to see if the sound is still there.
Nice! That's some direct advice with a pic!

Old 10-23-2017, 03:18 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruising thru old threads for info, any updates/corrections?

Excursion Anti-roll bars
Front – Hellwig 38mm (1.5”), stock Excursion 36mm (1.4”), stock F-250 32mm (1.25”), stock F-350 ???
Rear – Hellwig 32mm (1.25”), stock F-250/F-350 32mm (1.25”), 30mm (1.18”), or 27mm (1.1”)