Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Getting 80gal tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 11:45 PM
comsupany
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting 80gal tank

I just ordered an 80 gal tank through amazon. Problem is I need it for a trip coming up and all the tanks I wanted were either not going to get here in time or too expensive. I ordered the following with the "aux transfer kit" which a seller recommended. I know this is a transfer tank but all things considered I don't think I have many options. I understand the cap is vented so is there anything else I need or any other considerations. I probably deserve a little berating for getting a transfer tank...

Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-21-2017, 06:12 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I ran basically the same set up in my last truck, except a different transfer tank. Worked great for me. Like you said caps vented so your good there. It gravity fed into factory tank and worked awesome. Eventually I may set this up in my current truck but I find with the long bed the tank seems sufficient.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:16 AM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I installed one on the '99 in my sig. The only issue that I had was the fact that the factory 38 gal tank has two vents, one on each end of the tank, and those vents only had 2 inch long pieces of hose attached to them. I decided to attach longer hoses to those vents that would be long enough to rise about a foot above the highest level of the auxiliary tank. I am glad that I did because about a year ago the zip tie that held the vent line above the fuel level in the aux tank broke. When that happened, the level of the top of the vent hose was below the level of fuel in the aux tank and there was a very slow leak through that hose.

Why do you deserve to be berated? IMO, there are not many good options.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 AM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,133 Likes on 645 Posts
Might get a for it specifically saying its not for flammable liquids, otherwise do whatcha gotta do

Old 08-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
I installed an auxiliary tank in the bed of my truck increasing my fuel capacity to 75 gallons and range to up to almost 1400 miles. It is nice to fill up when I want, instead of when I have to. Also, I get a laugh out of rolling down the interstate and watching the fuel gauge go up instead of down...

I installed an ATTA45RBR with a momentary switch and transfer pump. I wanted positive control over the fuel flow process instead of a gravity system. I plumbed the fuel fill into the vent tube by the fill cap of the OEM plumbing and it works great.

There is no shame in doing what you want to your truck, especially when it is something like this. I cannot tell you how nice it was to have the 75 gallons while traveling cross country with a camper in tow.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:20 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
How big, or not big rather, is the tank on the shortbeds? The long beds are 38gals, even my dual tank longbed '97 added up to 36 I think. I truly understand the desire for the long range, and never having to worry about finding diesel or even a location where your truck & trailer rig fits without some Prius sitting next to the only diesel pump in the lot.

I've seen a few threads in the OBS forum about folks putting the 40-some gal behind the axle gas tank from Broncos or such in their OBS trucks where the 17 gal tank was. The only downside was relocating the spare to the bed. Has anyone considered an option like this for our trucks?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by SaintITC
How big, or not big rather, is the tank on the shortbeds? The long beds are 38gals, even my dual tank longbed '97 added up to 36 I think. I truly understand the desire for the long range, and never having to worry about finding diesel or even a location where your truck & trailer rig fits without some Prius sitting next to the only diesel pump in the lot.

I've seen a few threads in the OBS forum about folks putting the 40-some gal behind the axle gas tank from Broncos or such in their OBS trucks where the 17 gal tank was. The only downside was relocating the spare to the bed. Has anyone considered an option like this for our trucks?

Ive put a bunch of 44gal Excursion tanks behind the axle of SuperDuty trucks for veggie conversions.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:33 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,851 Posts
I think the tank on my short bed super cab truck is rated at 26 gallons from the factory. I can get 30-32 gallons in it total, then add the 45 gallons from the auxiliary tank in the back I have a solid 75 gallons when at full capacity.

Jason has a enough fuel to pull over and sell the stuff on the side of the road if he wanted.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:58 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Sous
I think the tank on my short bed super cab truck is rated at 26 gallons from the factory. I can get 30-32 gallons in it total, then add the 45 gallons from the auxiliary tank in the back I have a solid 75 gallons when at full capacity.

Jason has a enough fuel to pull over and sell the stuff on the side of the road if he wanted.
200gals of aux fuel capacity is a beautiful thing. Especially if it's nearly-free veggie oil!!!

Not ever having to stop at a nasty, busy, noisy, (dangerous?) truck stop on a road trip is AWESOME. We always pick rest areas or parks to stop and eat, etc. Makes traveling soooooo much less stressful!! It's always been awesome to let the kids ride bikes and play frisbee with the dogs at our pit stops. I learned early on that the kids poke each other less if they get excersize during the day. (They've visited 34 states so far)

Old 08-21-2017, 09:39 AM
comsupany
Senior User
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
200gals of aux fuel capacity is a beautiful thing. Especially if it's nearly-free veggie oil!!!

Not ever having to stop at a nasty, busy, noisy, (dangerous?) truck stop on a road trip is AWESOME. We always pick rest areas or parks to stop and eat, etc. Makes traveling soooooo much less stressful!! It's always been awesome to let the kids ride bikes and play frisbee with the dogs at our pit stops. I learned early on that the kids poke each other less if they get excersize during the day. (They've visited 34 states so far)

My rig is quite similar to yours SkySkiJason although I am jealous of your 200 gallons! I've got a flatbed too and I was originally aiming for at least 90-110 gal but not being able to find what I wanted in the time frame allowed, my wife said 10 gal is not that much diff. I did the math and figured loosing 70 miles or so isn't going to be that much different. My orig search was for a 6-8ft wide, 12in deep and 19in high rectanglular tank. This one is 63inX21X20 so it's at least below the windows...now if I can figure out how to get the trailer below the windows we're good!

Old 08-21-2017, 09:57 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Originally Posted by comsupany
My rig is quite similar to yours SkySkiJason although I am jealous of your 200 gallons! I've got a flatbed too and I was originally aiming for at least 90-110 gal but not being able to find what I wanted in the time frame allowed, my wife said 10 gal is not that much diff. I did the math and figured loosing 70 miles or so isn't going to be that much different. My orig search was for a 6-8ft wide, 12in deep and 19in high rectanglular tank. This one is 63inX21X20 so it's at least below the windows...now if I can figure out how to get the trailer below the windows we're good!
I started with a 110gal tank/toolbox combo. It was well into the back window and made it where I could not see the bed. This really sucked when hooking GN trailers up.

Then I went to a custom 200gal tank in the same place (front of bed). It wasn't as tall, so better visibility, but still left my 9ft bed with just over 6ft of useful space.

Currently, the (2) 100gal tanks are the BEST. I put 'Z' channel on the back of the tanks so I could drop a 'tailgate' between them, so for the first time since I've owned this truck (15 yrs now) I have close to a pickup bed! I can haul a load of mulch or just toss bags of trash in the bed w/o having to strap it down!! I can also strap a refrigerator to headache rack (not possible with front-of-bed tanks). I left 3ft behind tanks because I use my bed as a work table all the time and couldn't give that up.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:12 AM
comsupany
Senior User
Getting 80gal tank

I started with a 110gal tank/toolbox combo. It was well into the back window and made it where I could not see the bed. This really sucked when hooking GN trailers up.

Then I went to a custom 200gal tank in the same place (front of bed). It wasn't as tall, so better visibility, but still left my 9ft bed with just over 6ft of useful space.

Currently, the (2) 100gal tanks are the BEST. I put 'Z' channel on the back of the tanks so I could drop a 'tailgate' between them, so for the first time since I've owned this truck (15 yrs now) I have close to a pickup bed! I can haul a load of mulch or just toss bags of trash in the bed w/o having to strap it down!! I can also strap a refrigerator to headache rack (not possible with front-of-bed tanks). I left 3ft behind tanks because I use my bed as a work table all the time and couldn't give that up.
Great solution! Especially since the bed is so wide. Curious how/where/how much to get the custom tanks?

Old 08-21-2017, 10:58 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Great solution! Especially since the bed is so wide. Curious how/where/how much to get the custom tanks?
Local welder/fab shop. $1000/ea several years ago. They are 3/16" alum. My specifications were 'thick enough a fat girl can dance on top of them'. Lol

That price may seem steep, but on day one I filled those tanks to the top with 'free' fuel. 200gals x $3.xx/gal. Even though fuel at the pump is a little less now, I have filled those tanks MANY times since that day and ROI was a long time ago!!

And yes, 8ft wide bed means I have 4.5ft between tanks.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:09 AM
comsupany
Senior User
Getting 80gal tank

Local welder/fab shop. $1000/ea several years ago. They are 3/16" alum. My specifications were 'thick enough a fat girl can dance on top of them'. Lol

That price may seem steep, but on day one I filled those tanks to the top with 'free' fuel. 200gals x $3.xx/gal. Even though fuel at the pump is a little less now, I have filled those tanks MANY times since that day and ROI was a long time ago!!

And yes, 8ft wide bed means I have 4.5ft between tanks.
You say "free fuel" and "veggie fuel". I haven't heard about it educate me please!

Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
You say "free fuel" and "veggie fuel". I haven't heard about it educate me please!
My truck has been modified to burn straight vegetable oil. Specifically used fryer oil from restaurants that many of us can get 'free'.

In a nutshell, the WVO (waste vegetable oil) is more viscous than diesel at room temp. When heated to about 160*F, WVO is about the same viscosity as diesel. I have a separate, redundant fuel system for WVO that uses coolant to heat the fuel. This includes a 2nd tank with heated fuel pick-up, heated fuel lines, 2nd pump/fuel press regulator, heated fuel filter, etc.

We start on diesel and switch to WVO after the engine warms up. Then, switch back to diesel and 'purge' all of the WVO from the engine before shutting the truck down.

Same power, mpg, etc as diesel. My truck has 230k on the high cholesterol diet and I have personally done dozens of conversions on 7.3/6.0's that cumulatively have way over a million veggie smile miles.

Quick Reply: Getting 80gal tank