Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Looking for Battery Experience/Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:23 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Looking for Battery Experience/Recommendations

My Optima Red Tops have finally given up the ghost. They do well if I'm driving the truck every day but the truck can only sit for about 3 days before the truck needs a jump. I can't complain, they've given me 8 great years.

I'm down to the following batteries:

More Optima Red Tops
Optima Yellow Tops
Odyssey Performance
Odyssey Extreme

I've read a lot of posts about batteries. AGM, lead acid, sealed, not sealed, who makes the Costco batteries, etc., I've been through all the posts.

All considerations taken into account these are the two brands (and four models) I'm down to (the sealed has been nice as I off-road a lot). I've read mixed reviews of the more recent Red Tops so I'm not particularly leaning towards going with more of what I've got (even though 8 years is beyond a good life for a set of batteries).

I'll open up the floor to comments, experiences, and recommendations. You are free to tell me I need to pull my head out or that I'm crazy because I should get XXXX batteries. I will appreciate your time and feedback but, just so everyone is aware, I will be getting one of the four batteries listed above. Right or wrong that's my short list and I'm sticking to it.

Old 06-01-2017, 11:55 PM
binuya
Fleet Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is the price of those batteries you listed? A few months ago, I finally replaced my Kirkland/Costco batteries after 7 years. I could've gone longer, but figured I got enough life out of them and might as well get a fresh set. Costco now carries Interstate branded batteries. $180 for a pair, 36 month warranty. If I get 6-7 years out of these, I'm happy.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:51 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I can attest for the Odyssey Extreme batteries. I have never used one in a PSD but we use them at work on 3600 HP 2500KW generators. After 5 years we replaced them only because we were scheduled to do so per our maintenance program. They are rated as 10 year batteries. Each generator has two banks of batteries and each bank consist of 2 batteries(they crank on 24VDC). Since we had never had an issue with any of the batteries in the 48 generators we have I decided to test them out before removing the old ones. I disconnected one set which only left one set to crank the 16 cylinder engine. I cranked the engine 10 times in less than 2 min and the last time was only slightly slower than the first. They are awesome batteries. These are 1225 CCA batteries. I was able to shoe horn one into my 3/4 ton 1984 Chevy and it cranks ridiculously fast. I studied hard about relocating the ones in my PSD in order to be able to utilize these free ones but never came to a good solution. I would think the ones that is the right size for our trucks would be the same quality as the ones we use at work.

That is my experience with them anyway. Hope this helps.

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2017, 08:58 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
$180 for a pair with 36mo warranty!?! Dang! It's $300+/pair at the major parts stores now. Batteries are getting ridiculous.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:09 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
CousinCarl, you are right about that! There is, no doubt, a big difference in battery prices between vendors and it is worth it to check a couple of them when buying. I don't know about the Optimas but Costco for Interstates (but they only carry one line) and TSC for DEKA. TCS probably puts DEKA's on sale if you're ahead of the curve and can wait for it. The Optima's look interesting.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:15 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by binuya
What is the price of those batteries you listed? A few months ago, I finally replaced my Kirkland/Costco batteries after 7 years. I could've gone longer, but figured I got enough life out of them and might as well get a fresh set. Costco now carries Interstate branded batteries. $180 for a pair, 36 month warranty. If I get 6-7 years out of these, I'm happy.
They range from about $200 - $330 per battery (give or take depending on where you buy). While I know the lead acid is a good battery and a much more cost effective buy (especially from Costco), I spent a lot of time with baking soda and water cleaning up battery posts and trays even when they didn't appear to be leaking. Others may take that trade for the lower price up front but for what I do with the truck a sealed battery is the only path I am going to take.

Originally Posted by Bill Kay
I can attest for the Odyssey Extreme batteries. I have never used one in a PSD but we use them at work on 3600 HP 2500KW generators. After 5 years we replaced them only because we were scheduled to do so per our maintenance program. They are rated as 10 year batteries. Each generator has two banks of batteries and each bank consist of 2 batteries(they crank on 24VDC). Since we had never had an issue with any of the batteries in the 48 generators we have I decided to test them out before removing the old ones. I disconnected one set which only left one set to crank the 16 cylinder engine. I cranked the engine 10 times in less than 2 min and the last time was only slightly slower than the first. They are awesome batteries. These are 1225 CCA batteries. I was able to shoe horn one into my 3/4 ton 1984 Chevy and it cranks ridiculously fast. I studied hard about relocating the ones in my PSD in order to be able to utilize these free ones but never came to a good solution. I would think the ones that is the right size for our trucks would be the same quality as the ones we use at work.

That is my experience with them anyway. Hope this helps.

Good luck!
I have read nothing but good things about Odyssey. I'm leaning towards those but am trying to accept the $700 price tag that comes with it. I have no doubt that they are top notch quality and as a recently retired military guy I do appreciate the American-made aspect of them.

For any geeks out there like me here are a couple of videos:

Short version:

Long version:

Old 06-02-2017, 09:22 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I use regular lubricating grease on all of my battery posts and have no corrosive build up on them.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:28 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
I use regular lubricating grease on all of my battery posts and have no corrosive build up on them.
I do that on occasion although, admittedly, not very often on my Optimas. The batteries that came with the truck (can't remember the brand) always seemed to magically leak regardless of any pre-emptive strike I made. I greased the posts and I even used Velcro straps around the battery to "hold" the covers shut. I could never find evidence of any leaks other than the fact that my battery trays were always white. I switched to the Red Tops and the problem went away.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:03 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 206 Likes on 108 Posts
I've done the Red Tops twice, but am going to do something different because I barely managed to get a replacement warranty on one which went bad at the 3 year mark last spring. I made it through the winter, but primarily because it was extremely mild here in B'ham. I can hear the batteries trying harder than I prefer even now in the warmer months, and can probably make it through the summer, but WILL be replacing both batteries this coming fall.

My options right now are either two of the Costco Interstates, or throw some solid money into a pair of the X2 Power AGM's from Batterys+. I just put a Group 35 X2 in my wife's vehicle, and they have killer mA-hr ratings and provide over 1100 CCA's. Downside is that they are $270 each. They use a "pure lead" technology instead of lead alloy in their construction (as do Northstar and Oddyssey AGM batteries) which is supposed to receive charges faster and hold charges longer than the more common lead alloy alternatives. Interestingly, the case on the Odyssey 34-PC1400 looks identical to the X2 Power battery I just bought. Supposedly, the X2 Power batteries are actually made by Northstar.

I think I might end up getting choked on the cost of the X2's, though, even though they do come with a 5-year FULL replacement warranty.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:57 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm running Napa Legend batteries now due to a connection and price. But I always got 4 or 5 years out of Wal-Mart batteries. Walmarts are everywhere if you're traveling and have problems. And if you find a Wal-Mart without an auto service center both will usually be replaced with no questions asked, customer service associates don't ask about charging or testing.

Old 06-02-2017, 11:48 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
One thing you should think about as much if not more than the battery quality is an outboard charger to go along with the new batteries, rightly "sized" in amperes, to provide enough juice to fully charge both of them. Or it, really. Two batteries connected parallel is a single battery with twice the ampere capacity.

When two cells are not equally charged, the lower cell drags the higher one down. Short trips especially don't charge to 100% or equalize the cells and the battery over time tends to end up chronically undercharged, prone to sulfation and outgassing. Around 15 amps or so would be a trickle charge in these arrangements and should keep the charging system, battery, and voltage dependent components (injectors?) a whole lot happier.

Old 06-02-2017, 02:17 PM
Skydivelout
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got O'reilly Super Start Extreme EXT 65's I think. They've been surprisingly epic!

Old 06-02-2017, 04:45 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,514 Likes on 2,873 Posts
This will be my next set of batteries.

Amazon Amazon

Old 06-02-2017, 09:04 PM
crop harvester
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We have the Odyssey Batteries Sous is talking about installed going on four years,but don't have enough time on them to brag on them yet.

Old 06-02-2017, 10:26 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Interstates (Costco) in the truck and RV, 2 years, Good so far....

Quick Reply: Looking for Battery Experience/Recommendations