1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

D50 ttb upper ball joint

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 06:39 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
D50 ttb upper ball joint

Hello, I did a search looking for this topic on this forum and axles and such. I thought i would check with you all you good people before i tear up something.

Top ball joint

Top ball joint

I am not sure about that piece with the split between the ball joint and the housing? How do i remove it? I bought a ball joint press and have put quite a bit of pressure on it nut no luck.

Top ball joint underneath

But after the pictures of the replacement upper ball joint i wounder if theres a retaing ring i am unaware of. The bottom ball joint is almost freeded.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:10 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The piece you are looking at is the camber adjustment bushing.
When you​ go to get the truck aligned they may need to change it.

Old 04-13-2017, 05:58 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,376 Posts
If you are trying to change the balljoint, you need to get the lower balljoint loose and take the whole knuckle off the truck. You can then use a balljoint press and press the balljoint out of the knuckle.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:33 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
The piece you are looking at is the camber adjustment bushing.
When you​ go to get the truck aligned they may need to change it.
Hi Jim, i am tearing down this D50 ttb pictured. Get any unknowns satisfied before i star on the D44HD that is in the truck. The D50 pieces are on my work bench. I am just tring to figuring out who to removing the upper. Thanks for your post Jim.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Franklin2
If you are trying to change the balljoint, you need to get the lower balljoint loose and take the whole knuckle off the truck. You can then use a balljoint press and press the balljoint out of the knuckle.
Hi Dave, I have the bottom ball joint lose. I am trying to remove both upper and lower, but cant seem to get the upper ball joint lose or removed. Thanks for your post Dave.

Old 04-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Franklin2
Take a pickle fork or chisel and drive inbetween the axle housing and the knuckle to put pressure on it. Keep driving, if it doesn't pop leave pressure on it, put your large nut back on it upside down, screw the nut down till it's a little bit above the threads of the upper balljoint and smack it with a hammer while you have the pickle fork putting pressure on it.

Put your pickle fork in that crack where you see oil and grease in the picture and drive it in there to spread it out and force it down.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:00 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Take a pickle fork or chisel and drive inbetween the axle housing and the knuckle to put pressure on it. Keep driving, if it doesn't pop leave pressure on it, put your large nut back on it upside down, screw the nut down till it's a little bit above the threads of the upper balljoint and smack it with a hammer while you have the pickle fork putting pressure on it.

Put your pickle fork in that crack where you see oil and grease in the picture and drive it in there to spread it out and force it down.
Thank Dave! Sounds good working my 2nd job at the moment. I will follow your sound advice but after a couple hours of sleep. 16 hour days are hard on this old man. Can't wait to try it thanks again.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:48 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
D50 upper ball joint

Got a chance to put a pickle fork to it with no luck. Even combined with a press at the same time. Next day off i will put the press to it and crank until some gives. I took some pictures. For prosperity.

C clamp and a pickle fork

Pickle fork c clamp press

I also tried map gass. No luck yet. Keep you good people posted.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:56 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Well managed to hammer the lower ball joint out from the bottom of the knuckle separating the knuckle from the yoke. Woo hoo!! Also removed the upper ball joint cup but not the upper ball joint ball and stud. I have pressed, heated, waxxed (using the hot parifan to penetrate), beaten, cussed and hollared. Yet that upper ball joint seems to be virtually welded to the yoke!?!

Well managed to rip the ball from the socket. Pictured is the beam upside down. The upper ball joint wont budge. At this point i am considering cutting the upper ball joint stud drilling the center and with a little home made thermite burning it from the housing. Just kidding with the thermite. Too hard to control. I will figure it out.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:10 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
More heat and/or a 20T press should take care of it.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:38 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Have you tried tightening the press/clamp and then smacking the *side* of the yoke housing with a big hammer?
Right adjacent to where you've put the big gouge in the ball joint in your last photo.
​​​​​​​They will usually pop right out.

It really doesn't look so bad that it should be a problem, but I guess you never know.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
CountryBumkin thats something i hadn't even considered. May have to see what the local shop would charge me. Thanks.

Originally Posted by CountryBumkin
More heat and/or a 20T press should take care of it.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 AM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
Hi Jim, Yes i did try what you have mentioned. I am wondering if the adjustment sleave is causing the issue. Going to give it another crack at it after work.

Originally Posted by ArdWrknTrk
Have you tried tightening the press/clamp and then smacking the *side* of the yoke housing with a big hammer?
Right adjacent to where you've put the big gouge in the ball joint in your last photo.
​​​​​​​They will usually pop right out.

It really doesn't look so bad that it should be a problem, but I guess you never know.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by bullnose1985
[B][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="4"]

Well managed to rip the ball from the socket. Pictured is the beam upside down. The upper ball joint wont budge. .
I hope I didn't steer you wrong with the pickle fork, but I think I did. That is what pulled the joint off the ball correct? I can see the marks in the picture. The large black cup on your press sits around that raised area in the picture and not on top of it correct? I think that raised area that is buggered up around the ball is what comes out of the knuckle.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 PM
bullnose1985
Laughing Gas
I hope I didn't steer you wrong with the pickle fork, but I think I did. That is what pulled the joint off the ball correct? I can see the marks in the picture. The large black cup on your press sits around that raised area in the picture and not on top of it correct? I think that raised area that is buggered up around the ball is what comes out of the knuckle.
No Dave i don't think with out the pickle fork suggestion i don't think would be as far as i am now. I will tapout the upper ball joint cap the next chace i get and take better pictures.

Quick Reply: D50 ttb upper ball joint