N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

March 2017 alltopic thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 08:12 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
I always do a double take whenever I see old wood and a true 2x4 is in the pile or behind the sheetrock/plaster.

Stewart
Yep mostly lath and plaster , what a pain to work with but doable , some of those studs and Rafters were nice wood , lots of prime #1 grade stuff being built back then , not like the young growth wood we get today,especially 4x4s look at the growth rings not tight at all , so the boards like to twist out of shape once installed or dried out. Good call Hank , on stud finding center of elect box

Last edited by 04badford; 03-12-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Adding
Old 03-13-2017, 12:08 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
My brother in law built a mother-in-law unit. Used all full dimension redwood 2x6. Awesome structure.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:38 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Well, I can honestly say I am no carpenter, or construction worker, or whatever. Finding the studs was the easy part. Getting everything to line up once installed is a real PITA. The wall mount I bought has about a 3 inch section in the middle where the TV will not slide past either way. And since the studs are too far apart, I need to move the TV past that piece of metal. Also, even though I used the level that came with the TV mount, when I put the TV on it after everything was screwed into the wall, it was crooked. I was able to fix that problem, but I notice now, that the stud I need to install the floating shelf on is not right in the middle of the TV (because of that 3 inch metal piece) so I have given up for tonight. I started this little project at 4pm and stopped at 9pm, and haven't even taken the floating shelf out of its box due to all the headaches the TV wall mount has given me. Of course, not being able to stand for long periods of time, and getting no help from friends made the ordeal even longer. So, I will back off and do something else and leave it for tomorrow. Only person I have to please is myself, so it can stay disassembled for now. LOL

Jim

Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Don't feel like you have to use the studs Jim. If the TV is a flat screen (I assume so, but you never know), then it's going to be pretty light. That means you can use a molly bolt for one of the anchors. The molly will allow you to use just plain drywall for one of the anchors. So... at least one anchor into a stud, and another into the drywall with a molly. I've done this sort of thing many times.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:04 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, right now, all four screws are in studs. It is a 43 inch flat screen, and the instructions did say using a stud was optional. However, I already have 4 holes in the wall now. Since it turned out to be higher than I wanted, and 4 inches too far to the right, I may just start over. But I doubt it. It took way too long to get to this point, and the thought of starting over is not very appealing.

The floating shelf has to be installed in a stud as it states each of the two glass shelves can support up to 17.6 pounds. So with 35 pounds on it, there is no other choice but to install in a stud. I don't know if all my devices combined will be anywhere near the 35 pound limit, but I sure don't want the glass or wall mount to fail. The Xbox One is pretty heavy, as is the cable box, but the DVD/VCR player, and surround sound receiver are light, as is the Xbox 360.

I took a photo of the way everything was (minus the Xbox One which is on its way to Microsoft for repairs) and I will take another one when I finally get everything installed at least close to the way I want it. If I have to rearrange the TV then I will, but for now I want to get the speakers mounted on the wall, and the floating shelf. Then I will tweak everything, and hide cables, or try to hide cables. LOL Bought some white tape to help in the hide cables part, but I bought the wrong tape, I bought white duct tape, not regular tape. I know it will still work, but I hate dealing with duct tape, and the residue it leaves when removed.

Jim

Last edited by Nighteyez; 03-13-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: error correction
Old 03-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Happy two tacos for Tuesday Nor Cal.

Finally have everything together and connected. However, the cable box is way too big for the shelf, so I will exchange it today for the smaller one they have. And I still have to figure out something to do about the spaghetti wires at the bottom of the shelves, not too mention the two Xbox bricks they call power supplies.

Jim

Old 03-14-2017, 10:01 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Wires are a challenge. We mounted our TV on a wall bracket. We have the equipment cabinet below it about a foot or so. So running the cables up to the TV looked horrible. I got some "wiring channel" about 2" wide by 1/2" deep, and ran two of them up behind the TV, and down below the top of the equipment cabinet. I put the power cord in one channel, and all the data cables in the other (HDMI, ethernet, fiber optic sound).

If I had painted the channel to match the wall, they would almost be invisible. As it is, it looks sort of like some kind of pedestal-like thing.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:43 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Nice warm weather here finally although I flew out to the east coast and snapped a picture of me having fun

Old 03-14-2017, 08:51 PM
Modoc
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Hank,

Don't you realize that we don't bounce like we used to? Looks like some of the things I used to do before the dreaded R word appeared.

It was a gorgeous 78* here today, and I was at my desk for all of it.

Old 03-14-2017, 08:55 PM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Heck Will I was sitting here and looked at the fresh strawberries I bought today, glanced at a bottle of takillya and said what the heck. jimmy would be happy

Old 03-14-2017, 09:27 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Hank Grande cahonies my friend , that's a little steep even when I was at the top of my game
Hello FTE gents , nice and warm here ,got a couple milgard windows installed today , should help out on the west side sun blazing through , heating up the Kitchen , nothing like some LowE double pane glass in that pneumonia hole .other than that were getting the Swim Season started off lil Bubbles going for the second high school meet Thursday and getting City league dialed in for a smooth season of Splash .

Old 03-14-2017, 10:33 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
...pneumonia hole
Good gravy bud, my pop was originally from Pennsylvania and he's the only one I've ever heard use that slang term!

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 03-15-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:57 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Good gravy bud, my pop was originally from Pennsylvania and he's the only one I've ever heard use that slang term!

Stewart
Great minds think alike , lol

Last edited by Stewart_H; 03-15-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Added "r" to my quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

I ended up using the white tape I bought to try and conceal the wires, that and a cardboard box covered in black velvet to cover the Xbox bricks, and two power strips that everything is plugged in to. Will take a pic later today, right now I am taking a much needed break, and eating lunch.

Jim

Old 03-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Happy thirsty Thursday Nor Cal.

Okay, here are the before and after pics of my TV setup.

Before

After

The big black thing on the very bottom is a cardboard box with black velvet over it. It is covering the power supply bricks and the two surge protector strips. Above that is the surround sound/Blu-Ray player, and then the Xbox 360 and cable box. To the right of the cable box is an amplified antenna for the Blu-ray player since it also receives FM broadcasts. On the top shelf is the DVD/VHS recorder, and above that is the box the shelves came in wrapped in black T-shirt to simulate the Xbox One for mock up purposes since it is at Microsoft being repaired. on top of the fake Xbox One is the 2TB external hard drive for the Xbox One. The antenna on top of the TV is for WiFi since it is a smart TV. You don't see the WiFi antenna or the amplified FM antenna in the before photo because I had them hidden behind the TV.

Jim

Quick Reply: March 2017 alltopic thread