Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

coolant filter question. galvanized fitting ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 08:44 AM
3000gtman
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coolant filter question. galvanized fitting ok?

I swear I'm almost done posting new topics haha. I'm installing coolant filter as a bypass system. Question is I couldn't find all the fittings brass. The ball valve is galvanized and so are the 90 degree elbows. Is galvanized ok to use with sca coolant? (Fleet charge)

Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 PM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I think I remember being advised not to use galvanized fittings and pipes on my Jetta TDI, but I'm not sure why.

If you need brass, alum, or other ball valves, go to McMaster Carr. It's great. YOu can filter by material and temperature until you get the exact valve you need.

If you just need a brass shut-off valve (5/8"), just go to Home Depot. They got plenty. I've been using some in my van for 2 years and the seals are still good.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:42 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
I found a brass shut off valve and it says gas shut off valves. Chrome plated ball. This work? I heard galvanized could get corroded

Old 01-23-2017, 09:54 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well, galvanized is just steel/iron with a coating of zinc. The zinc may corrode off, being effectively a 'sacrificial anode', but underneath is just good old iron/steel.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:03 AM
genscripter
Cargo Master
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by 3000gtman
I found a brass shut off valve and it says gas shut off valves. Chrome plated ball. This work? I heard galvanized could get corroded

I used one PEX valve like this. It lasted for two years so far.

It was at Home Depot and reasonable price. But McMaster has a vaster selection if you want to fine tune your install, but it's more expensive there.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:40 AM
DarkOverCast
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For as long as they used galvanized pipe for water I can't see a problem using it for coolant. Unless the heat is the losing factor. Brass valves can get pricey!

Old 01-24-2017, 09:02 AM
3000gtman
Elder User
I heard the zinc would corrode and I don't want that I'm my cooling system. I found all the brass fittings I need at granger. About same price as home depot. Think I spent 44 on all the fittings

Old 01-25-2017, 09:24 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Zinc corrodes preferentially to other things. Everything corrodes, it's just what goes first.
If you have coolant in there, it should prevent that corrosion, at least as much as possible.

So, think of it this way: that zinc coating is protecting the rest of the engine.

That being said, if it /does/ corrode, it's not going to flake off or anything. It'll just go into solution in the coolant.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
Zinc corrodes preferentially to other things. Everything corrodes, it's just what goes first.
If you have coolant in there, it should prevent that corrosion, at least as much as possible.

So, think of it this way: that zinc coating is protecting the rest of the engine.

That being said, if it /does/ corrode, it's not going to flake off or anything. It'll just go into solution in the coolant.

​​​​​​​I got all brass fittings

Old 01-28-2017, 03:37 PM
eagleye
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Macrobb

ZINC and MAGNESIUM are sacrificial anodes. It attracts the electrons flowing in the current in the coolant and dissolves into solution over time. It neutralizes electrolysis. There are radiator cap kits which have anodes and will minimize rusting/internal corrosion in the system and cross currents between different metals like aluminum and other metals.

They hang giant ones on the off shore drilling rigs to prevent the steel from rusting. every few years they cut the old worn anodes off and weld new ones on under water.

Problem is as soon as the anode has dissolved the prevention is over then you'd have to replace it and keep checking it. Some drivers are passionate about the anodes in coolant.

Coolant itself is designed to minimize these effects. Simple prevention, use the test strips and check the PH level of the coolant that it's 7.0 or greater. You can actually measure voltage in the coolant. If the coolant holds a charge greater than .3 volts you may have electrolysis issues or grounding issues. Aluminum in the coolant system is the weakest link and must have ph less than 9.0.

here's a excerpt from alstribology.com experts in fluid testing

Aluminium Components in Diesel Engine Cooling Systems

Old 01-28-2017, 05:12 PM
3000gtman
Elder User
Great info thank you. For now I left my hoses how they were and installed my coolant filter. Did several flushes on the system still have a rust tint from radiator which is recently replaced and I found bits of rubber floating ny radiator cap. Not from the cap. I flushed it about 5 times or so I lost count. Still found very small pieces if rubber floating by radiator cap and of course I remove them. Just concerned lol. But the job is done and filled with sca coolant and distilled water. Thanks for all the help

Old 01-28-2017, 10:27 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Originally Posted by eagleye

here's a excerpt from alstribology.com experts in fluid testing

Aluminium Components in Diesel Engine Cooling Systems
Ooh, that's /very/ useful information right there.

I found this bit important:
Coolant formulations that contain nitrite corrosion inhibitors (SCA’s) are not recommended in systems that have aluminum brazed heat exchangers and other aluminum parts.
That's... interesting. Considering our oil cooler head is aluminum, and some of us have aluminum radiators.