Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Convert 3.0 to 4.0 1988 Aerostar anyone ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 02:58 PM
Aerostottle
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Convert 3.0 to 4.0 1988 Aerostar anyone ?

Hi guys ,

I am new here and would like to ask has anyone brave enough (let alone own an 80s Aerostar ) swap their 3.0 for an 4.0 ?
I've had my 88 Aero XLT for 16 years . Twice I rebuilt the 3.0 and converted it to the 5 spd. tranny . I get 25 MPG on the freeway .
But I would like a little more power since this one wasn't as fast as my 1987 Aerostar was , no matter what I do .
Thanks !

Old 01-13-2017, 04:59 PM
zenish
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you will at least need a different bellhousing.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:45 PM
Aerostottle
Junior User
In my case the trans I have IS the bell housing .
So how does that apply to me ?
Did you ever do this feasco ?
My 5 spd I think is made more German like or something with the checkered cooling strength ribs w/ no bolt on pan on the bottom like the other :
they made an earlier trans (86-87? ) that was Japanese ( I think but not sure , but I had them both before ) .

Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
You'll need a different transmission. That trans won't bolt to a 4.0L.

Old 01-13-2017, 10:02 PM
Aerostottle
Junior User
Great !
What 5 spd trans will work with the 88 Aerostar (and this 4.0 motor) - speedometer , computer , mounts ?
And if i have to swap out computers can I still use all the stuff like the (1988 Ford factory ) trip computer ( that measures gas mileage , miles , DTA , etc ?) digital speedometer , etc ?

Old 01-14-2017, 02:57 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

Received 86 Likes on 75 Posts
There was a Mazda 5 speed manual used with the 4 liter engine in Rangers and Bronco IIs, but everyone I know of had failures because the transmission could not handle the load. That's why all of the Aerostars and Explorers with the 4 liter engine came with automatics. I've always been curious as to how a light weight shorty would perform with a 4 liter engine.

Your trip computer will only need the vehicle speed sensor from the transmission. If the one from your old transmission can fit into whatever you get, you should be all set there. Information from the vehicle speed and the engine computer are used to derive the information such as mpg, dte, and remaining fuel.

Old 01-14-2017, 08:44 AM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Unless you build a custom bell housing for a good trans your options are limited. The manual trans from a 4.0L Ranger/Mazda will work. But it won't hold up, way too light duty of a trans. To do it right, you could do a custom bell housing on a T5 trans, those will hold up great.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:00 PM
Aerostottle
Junior User
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
Unless you build a custom bell housing for a good trans your options are limited. The manual trans from a 4.0L Ranger/Mazda will work. But it won't hold up, way too light duty of a trans. To do it right, you could do a custom bell housing on a T5 trans, those will hold up great.
OH you are so right !!
Good one :-)
I hope some of the T5s came with mech speedo that could possibly match ...
Weren't they built for Ford or GM ?

Old 01-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Aerostottle
Junior User
Originally Posted by xlt4wd90
There was a Mazda 5 speed manual used with the 4 liter engine in Rangers and Bronco IIs, but everyone I know of had failures because the transmission could not handle the load. That's why all of the Aerostars and Explorers with the 4 liter engine came with automatics. I've always been curious as to how a light weight shorty would perform with a 4 liter engine.

Your trip computer will only need the vehicle speed sensor from the transmission. If the one from your old transmission can fit into whatever you get, you should be all set there. Information from the vehicle speed and the engine computer are used to derive the information such as mpg, dte, and remaining fuel.
COOL !
Can I keep all my wiring harnesses & computer- because won't it be hard to find an 4.0 computer to run an manual trans let alone all the sensors being the same ?
Also , are you saying that the 4.0 will bolt into my 88 Aerostar ?
MANY don't know that if you tackle the electrical wiring harness problem that these vans had , the tranny you are set !
Its amazing is how well these handle , takes the turns at high speeds - did you know they were one of the 1st 'sport' mini vans hoping to attract the guys ? ( ended up as soccer mom cars but LOL ) .

Old 01-14-2017, 05:36 PM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

I can't say for sure that a 4.0 engine will fit into an 88 van, but I have not read anything that said the engine bays were significantly different between the 80's and 90's models. You will need to get the engine mounts for the 4.0.

You will also need to change out the engine computer and harness, since those were different for the two engines. The computer for sure, but maybe you can modify the harness for the 3.0 to work with the 4.0; check a Chilton's manual at least. But I would scour your scrap yards to find those parts, and get every connector and sensor intact if possible.

The "Sport" option was all cosmetics; different paint schemes, plus running boards. I don't think they had any performance advantage, but it didn't prevent them from being the "soccer mom" vehicle. I seem to recall that most Aerostar vans could not corner more than about .7g, which may be better than some other minivans, but I would not consider it very "sporty", and I certainly wouldn't want to do it too often.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:44 PM
zenish
Tuned
i have a sport with the 3.0 fivespeed. i also have the same year aerostar extended with the 4.0 automatic.i don't think the 4.0/auto is any faster.if you are handy swap in a 5.0.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:02 AM
Aerostottle
Junior User
My one comparison of road handeling was the 2004 HONDA Odessey . It handled great but Im convinced the Aerostar was better altho I didnt really clock how fast I was going .
Hands down more comfortable and quiet ride than the Honda .
I thought about a 5.0 and there is a guy that did it but you might as well do the rear end as well or it can break maybe .
Are you saying the 4.0 is worse on gas and power ?

Old 01-15-2017, 03:20 PM
zenish
Tuned
the 8.8 rear in the 4.0 aerostars is plenty strong enough.

Old 01-15-2017, 06:25 PM
Aerostottle
Junior User
Originally Posted by zenish
the 8.8 rear in the 4.0 aerostars is plenty strong enough.
Cool !
I'll bet that s a bit or extra fabbing than using the 4.0

The only other thing would be to see if California smog would allow it

Old 01-16-2017, 01:31 AM
xlt4wd90
Lead Driver

I think you can install any engine that was available for the vehicle in its model year; better check with the DMV.

The 8.8" rear axle came standard with 2wd vans with the 4.0 liter engine. The Aerostar has a unique rear axle, so you would need to find one from another Aerostar. Then it SHOULD just bolt in.

I think the 4.0 liter engine was only available to extended vans, which are heavier, which means the gas mileage will be less than the 3.0 liter engine. It's rated at only 15 more HP than the 3.0 liter engine, though it generated 60 more lb-ft of torque. It was better able to get the heavier van moving from standstill, but it did not push it very fast. Again, I'm sure you will feel the added torque in a shorty.

Quick Reply: Convert 3.0 to 4.0 1988 Aerostar anyone ?