North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Winter 2016/2017 General BS Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 01:49 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I had to walk down to the shop tonight to grab... um some necassary items... (OPB that was left behind) at around 2:00 this morning, and jeez! I hope everyone is home, and warm! North Carolina isn't supposed to ever be this cold (based on my short, selective memory). Ever!!

I hope y'all are safe and warm...

Old 12-16-2016, 03:24 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
We're at 18* at 04:22

Old 12-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
was 23* when i left for work... only 28* now...

Old 12-16-2016, 01:01 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Alright, well with this weather, it's time to work IN the house. So looking at replacing some flooring. The basement area is around 222 Sq feet. It's concrete, so moisture barrier right?

Then the upstairs area in the kitchen is 180 sq feet. This doesn't get moisture barrier as that's under the house. Think I've found this.

The laminate I've found is around 90c sq ft, but doesn't have an attached pad. So need to add foam. That would be for all areas right? This is where I'm a little fuzzy right now. Trying to figure out which pad to go with, that doesn't cost nearly as much as the flooring! Any ideas or suggestions?

Old 12-16-2016, 01:15 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Alright, well with this weather, it's time to work IN the house. So looking at replacing some flooring. The basement area is around 222 Sq feet. It's concrete, so moisture barrier right?

Then the upstairs area in the kitchen is 180 sq feet. This doesn't get moisture barrier as that's under the house. Think I've found this.

The laminate I've found is around 90c sq ft, but doesn't have an attached pad. So need to add foam. That would be for all areas right? This is where I'm a little fuzzy right now. Trying to figure out which pad to go with, that doesn't cost nearly as much as the flooring! Any ideas or suggestions?
SimpleSolutions Silent Step 100 sq. ft. 37 ft. x 29 in. x 5/8 in. Sound-Reducing Underlayment-95152 - The Home Depot

this was what we used when we did the floor in my room.. the laminate we got for my room already had it on there but we did a 2nd layer because dad didnt want to hear me stomping around in my room lol.. but when we did the dining room downstairs we used the same stuff. i dont know if it did anything for sound.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:32 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Benztechnc

First off......been drinking, so we'll see what happens
I put down laminate flooring in three rooms in the first house we bought. I put down the thin foam under all of the new flooring. But I'm thinking it was with that moisture barrier, just a thin plastic film along with the foam. Hey that wasn't too bad.
Yes, I will have another toddy!

Old 12-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Thanks Bob, Thanks Shawn.

So that stuff you linked Shawn, it's about 75 cents a sq ft! That's kind of higher than I was thinking.

I found this stuff: https://www.lowes.com/pd/FloorComfor...yment/50402206 and I'm wondering if that will do the job. It comes in at 40 cents a square foot.

Oh and is this the right stuff for the concrete basement to go down first? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-1...yment/50149788

Also, ya'll think 20 cases of flooring will fit in a 5.5 ft F150 bed? or should I plan on taking one of the trailers with me as well?

Old 12-16-2016, 06:28 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
how many boxes are they measuring for the case?? we bought ours for the box... if by cases you mean boxes that contain like 10 floor sections in it... then your truck should be fine... if by cases your meaning like 6-10 boxes of the flooring then you might need the trailer..

on the price keep in mind josh the one your wanting to use is way thinner than what we used under mine.. which is why for the difference in price... the one in your link is only 2mm thick... where the one i linked to was 15.875mm thick.. both will be just as easy to lay under the flooring... if you have alot of noise from like the furnace equipment in the basement or wanting to limit the amount of sound between the floors the thicker barrier would be better for that... the nice thing with the roll was i could go from wall to wall before cutting it... both will probably lay just as easy as each other...

for the concrete floor barrier i cant say.. we just used the same stuff upstairs as we did downstairs...

Old 12-17-2016, 07:38 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,089 Likes on 1,782 Posts
Sorry I didn't update sooner crazy work hours.
Thanks for the well wishes on the dog.
A little drugs and cleaning of the wound and Keeper is back to his old self.

Lucy & Keeper chase each other all over the yard so we don't have to chase them! This way when inside they are pretty mellow from all the running around.

I hope with this weather my water don't quit then I am on county water and no trees any were near the line.
I do have a well for outside watering, don't k ow if I would trust to drink it but has not hurt the dog!

Keep warm everyone
Dave - - - -

Old 12-17-2016, 09:24 AM
wp120470
Posting Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news on Keeper. Glad he back to his old self.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Sparky83
how many boxes are they measuring for the case?? we bought ours for the box... if by cases you mean boxes that contain like 10 floor sections in it... then your truck should be fine... if by cases your meaning like 6-10 boxes of the flooring then you might need the trailer..

on the price keep in mind josh the one your wanting to use is way thinner than what we used under mine.. which is why for the difference in price... the one in your link is only 2mm thick... where the one i linked to was 15.875mm thick.. both will be just as easy to lay under the flooring... if you have alot of noise from like the furnace equipment in the basement or wanting to limit the amount of sound between the floors the thicker barrier would be better for that... the nice thing with the roll was i could go from wall to wall before cutting it... both will probably lay just as easy as each other...

for the concrete floor barrier i cant say.. we just used the same stuff upstairs as we did downstairs...
thanks sparky, the house is a split level, so no noise from below to the first floor. Just have a water heater under it. Also height is important as I want to be able to get my dishwasher back in under the counter when I'm done. I wouldn't mind the added insulation in the basement for the power bill though. Wonder if the thicker stuff has a better R value.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:59 PM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
couldnt say on that one...

Old 12-18-2016, 05:56 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
Sorry I didn't update sooner crazy work hours.
Thanks for the well wishes on the dog.
A little drugs and cleaning of the wound and Keeper is back to his old self.

Lucy & Keeper chase each other all over the yard so we don't have to chase them! This way when inside they are pretty mellow from all the running around.

I hope with this weather my water don't quit then I am on county water and no trees any were near the line.
I do have a well for outside watering, don't k ow if I would trust to drink it but has not hurt the dog!

Keep warm everyone
Dave - - - -
Glad your dog is doing good.

On the county/well water debate.... I'd take well water over County water every single day. I love my well water.

Old 12-18-2016, 05:59 AM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well yesterday's hunt ended with my little brother missing, and I saw one but had no shot. Fun day over all of hunting.

Then we had the Fire Department Christmas party last night, and had a good old time at that.

Old 12-18-2016, 10:29 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
A buddy back home has this on his facebook page. Yes, I chimed in that it is 70 here

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Winter 2016/2017 General BS Thread