1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

1999 7.3 Stuck Valve, Blown Rings, or Scored Sleeve...let's find out!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:00 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Here is a thread that hasn't see the light of day for a while but it is very useful for running AE. I have a version of it that is almost three years old and I am able to run it though it can be cantankerous at times. There is a newer version out now with a name like Giotto, which, word has it doesn't work. So...what version of it do you have?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-session.html

Old 11-29-2016, 05:48 PM
jhl3
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
One of the things folks often do before getting deep into the engine is run AE or somesuch to get a baseline on the engine. Does anyone know how to get AE working?

I've got Torque Pro and can get logs from that, but AE never seems to work for me. Or is Forscan the thing to use now? I'm so confused.
IMO FORScan is the way to go. It is free for a laptop. The OBDII to usb cable is about $15. Once it is installed and connected to your truck you are up and running w/in seconds and it is super easy to use.

I am sure you have seen this before:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...the-cheap.html

Old 11-29-2016, 06:00 PM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Here is a thread that hasn't see the light of day for a while but it is very useful for running AE. I have a version of it that is almost three years old and I am able to run it though it can be cantankerous at times. There is a newer version out now with a name like Giotto, which, word has it doesn't work. So...what version of it do you have?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...n-session.html

I'm sorry Walleye, that's just too easy to follow. I was hoping for something more complicated that required sacrificial chickens and frog knuckle bones.

I'll get on it tomorrow (barring freezing rain) and we'll see what the old "AE" has to say about my predicament. Thanks bud!

EDIT: Whoops, JH - You posted when I did and I didn't see it till now. So if I post some logs, are you guys familiar with ForScan or AE or does it matter? I don't know c'mere from sic'em on these apps so either one is the same for me.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:17 AM
Glowplugger
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Glowplugger
I'm sorry Walleye, that's just too easy to follow. I was hoping for something more complicated that required sacrificial chickens and frog knuckle bones.

I'll get on it tomorrow (barring freezing rain) and we'll see what the old "AE" has to say about my predicament. Thanks bud!

EDIT: Whoops, JH - You posted when I did and I didn't see it till now. So if I post some logs, are you guys familiar with ForScan or AE or does it matter? I don't know c'mere from sic'em on these apps so either one is the same for me.

I couldn't get AE running (still) so I fired up ol ForeSkin and here's what it told me:

Fired up:

Hey, some codes after all! One includes the MAP sensor...What's a map sensor? This doesn't have GPS!

KOEO test passed, so I ran KOER test!

And this is my result!

The other code:

Old 12-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
MAP=manifold absolute pressure, I believe that that sensor is fed with a tube off of the spider and the sensor itself sits on the passenger's side up top and back towards the firewall. In the area above your HVAC fan box.

I don't know what to tell you about those cylinder contribution tests but they look ugly.

Old 12-06-2016, 05:27 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
#3 imbalance is a common fault with modern CPSs, so you might be able to ignore that one. #2 is not common, but that can be something as simple as a bad connection on the UVCH or maybe a leaky injector O-ring. I'd start troubleshooting that by clicking the UVCH link in my signature and conducting those tests.