Notices

Payload Capacity - Need Help!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2016, 12:09 PM
WolfFox
Senior User
WolfFox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by nbettes View Post
I think most answered my question with, "it's up to you". I never felt like I did not have enough power or that I was in danger of losing control. However, I always felt it back there. I did test out the power that I had left over a few times. I hit 80 going up a few inclines.

Where I think it really comes up to us is if the transmission fails? And the tires will wear out faster I guess? I think people just like the peace of mind with those DRW's. Most DRW's passed me as opposed to me passing them. I think that says a lot for comfort level. Also, I was keeping an eye on that turbo needle. I knew i was drinking fuel when it was passing the 1/4 mark on up to the 1/2 way mark. So I tried to not cross the 1/4. That kept me around 65 mph. The DRW's seemed to cruise 70 and higher. I personally think that's what we're talking about. The ability to drive it like it's supposed to be driven. Not babying it along. Although, I'm perfectly happy cruising at 65 with an eye on that turbo needle. I'll also say my temps never even hinted at going too high. Trans would go from 198 to 208. Oil.....it got a bit higher. Like 210 - 218 I thing? That's my 2 cents. I do need to get airbags though as I'm squatting 2.5 inches.
Yeah, but the difference in the Max loaded 5th wheel is 250 SRW 3.1/3.55 (16,800 lb) and the 350 SRW 3.5 axle (27,300 lb) = 10,500, if I am figuring corretly

Old 11-08-2016, 06:16 AM
nbettes
Freshman User
nbettes is starting off with a positive reputation.
WolfFox, did you go with the DRW? I'll get one in about 6 years. That will be the truck my 10 year old will drive starting his Junior year! I also need a different house. A DRW will make life difficult in our little cul de sac. Need land! Too much storage cost, too many HOA members, too little room!

Old 11-08-2016, 07:00 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Go slowly if choosing a dually would be my suggestion. Yes, they make for a stable platform, but don't forget, for most folks that truck is not used for towing the majority of the time and it can make for a cumbersome sightseeing rig! Of course all the extra walking you have to do once you find a parking space a mile from what you want to see, I guess it is good for the cardiovascular system.

Steve

Old 11-09-2016, 10:11 AM
WolfFox
Senior User
WolfFox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by nbettes View Post
WolfFox, did you go with the DRW? I'll get one in about 6 years. That will be the truck my 10 year old will drive starting his Junior year! I also need a different house. A DRW will make life difficult in our little cul de sac. Need land! Too much storage cost, too many HOA members, too little room!
After weighing everything said on here, I decided to go with the F350 DRW LWB 4.10 axel. I am having the Gen prep added to my build and I will likely be putting in separate wash and dryer. After adding an auxiliary fuel tank/tool box, I will definitely be overweight, if I went with a SRW. We have a 2000 Eddie Bower Ford Explorer and a 2008 Honda Accord, so the F350 wouldn’t be my everyday driver…Everyone’s experience on here is invaluable when trying to make these decisions, especially for someone like me that has never owned a diesel truck. I appreciate and thank everyone who commented.

Old 11-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Sous
Moderator and SXE Junkie!
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
WolfFox, you will not be let down with the truck. That is a beast and should handle the trailer just fine.