Notices

Payload Capacity - Need Help!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:16 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street
amdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputation
How about the Land fill: 8880 Old Federal Rd, Ball Ground, GA

Looks like a scale.

Attached Images  
Old 11-06-2016, 06:13 AM
nbettes
Freshman User
nbettes is starting off with a positive reputation.
I get to the place and we look at a lot more floor spaces. I make a few more calls to some guys that tow for a living. They told me I could do it. So I did it. 400 miles later and I'm towing perfect. Straight as an arrow, no sway, etc. I've never towed a 5er. Only trailers and boats. This has been such a relief. About to leave the Walmart parking lot and head the rest of the way home.

I did squat 2.5 inches so I will get the airbags.

But seriously. I have so much more control. And I am just at 11 mpg when flat. Just around 10 through the Ozarks.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:22 AM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
You are getting about the same mileage I get with the fiver on the back. Glad it is working out for you!

Steve

Old 11-06-2016, 06:52 AM
nbettes
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
You are getting about the same mileage I get with the fiver on the back. Glad it is working out for you!

Steve
I haven't backed it into my campsite or storage place. Once I do that I'll feel even betters. Thanks!

Old 11-06-2016, 02:10 PM
Sous
Sous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputationSous has a superb reputation
I towed a 30 ft travel trailer and misc other trailers for years. The 36 ft 5th wheel camper we recently bought is by far the easiest to pull down the road. I get 12 MPG with the trailer hooked up, but I also have a manual ZF6.

Good to hear you are well on your way to enjoying the RV life. Check out Air Lift 5000 bags and Wireless One compressor for future use.

Also, you MUST post up some pictures, it is an FTE law.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:30 PM
nbettes
Freshman User

Backing this puppy in to our storage spot was no bueno. Hopefully the extra spot I found did not belong to someone else. I will be calling them first thing tomorrow. Also, I may look for covered storage anyway.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:33 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
nice looking rig.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:40 PM
nbettes
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
I towed a 30 ft travel trailer and misc other trailers for years. The 36 ft 5th wheel camper we recently bought is by far the easiest to pull down the road. I get 12 MPG with the trailer hooked up, but I also have a manual ZF6.

Good to hear you are well on your way to enjoying the RV life. Check out Air Lift 5000 bags and Wireless One compressor for future use.

Also, you MUST post up some pictures, it is an FTE law.
also, I'm afraid I was benefiting from some downhill action. After 500 miles of towing today I was around 9.5 - 9.8. Didn't have a single tank over 10. I fill up every half tank so I can be selective with where I get gas.

and to add to the airbags I think I'll look for a back up camera as well.

Old 11-06-2016, 06:42 PM
nbettes
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
nice looking rig.
thanks. Didn't realize until we were hitting the road the wife didn't slide the slide outs all the way. Amazing how much more space there will be. If we can find a spot I can park in!!!

Old 11-07-2016, 09:49 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street
amdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputation
Good looking set up! Enjoy!

Old 11-07-2016, 10:58 AM
WolfFox
Senior User
WolfFox is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am having the same issue deciding which truck to go with... I ordered a Grand Design Solitude UVW 13450, lbs. Hitch 2740, GVWR 16000 lbs. 5th wheel.

I put down $500 on a 2017 350 SD Lariat, DRW, 4x4, 4.10, LWB... I really want a 350 SRW 3.55 axel, 4x4, with 20" in tires LWB....Anyone see any issues with me pulling this with a 350 SRW? I need to make my decision within a couple of days. Anyone see why the 350 SRW wouldn't pull this fine even in mountains? Thanks

Specs:

2017 350 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, 3.55 axle, 20" tires
Max GCWR 28,700 lbs.
Max Front Axle GAWR 6000 lbs.
Max Rear Axle GAWR 7230 lbs
Max Payload 11400 / 4,400 lbs.
5th wheel Max Towing 20,600 lbs.

GD Solitude 5th wheel 40ft.
GVWR 16000 lbs.
UVW 13450 lbs.
Hitch 2740 lbs.
Hitch 2740 lbs

Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 AM
blkout50
Senior User
blkout50 has a good reputation on FTE.blkout50 has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by nbettes View Post
also, I'm afraid I was benefiting from some downhill action. After 500 miles of towing today I was around 9.5 - 9.8. Didn't have a single tank over 10. I fill up every half tank so I can be selective with where I get gas.

and to add to the airbags I think I'll look for a back up camera as well.
Congrats on your Open Range!! If you like yours half as much as we like ours, you are going to be EXTREMLY happy!!

After 2015, Open Range pre-wired back up cameras. Should make life a little easier.

Also, be sure and visit the Open Range Owners forum. A great bunch of people there.

http://www.openrangeowners.com/

Old 11-07-2016, 11:47 AM
nbettes
Freshman User
I think most answered my question with, "it's up to you". I never felt like I did not have enough power or that I was in danger of losing control. However, I always felt it back there. I did test out the power that I had left over a few times. I hit 80 going up a few inclines.

Where I think it really comes up to us is if the transmission fails? And the tires will wear out faster I guess? I think people just like the peace of mind with those DRW's. Most DRW's passed me as opposed to me passing them. I think that says a lot for comfort level. Also, I was keeping an eye on that turbo needle. I knew i was drinking fuel when it was passing the 1/4 mark on up to the 1/2 way mark. So I tried to not cross the 1/4. That kept me around 65 mph. The DRW's seemed to cruise 70 and higher. I personally think that's what we're talking about. The ability to drive it like it's supposed to be driven. Not babying it along. Although, I'm perfectly happy cruising at 65 with an eye on that turbo needle. I'll also say my temps never even hinted at going too high. Trans would go from 198 to 208. Oil.....it got a bit higher. Like 210 - 218 I thing? That's my 2 cents. I do need to get airbags though as I'm squatting 2.5 inches.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:48 AM
nbettes
Freshman User
blkout50, I need to go say hello at the open range forum! We really do like it although it's only been a few days.....I'm ready to go look at it again! Although we don't have plans until Friday.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:50 AM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by WolfFox View Post
I am having the same issue deciding which truck to go with... I ordered a Grand Design Solitude UVW 13450, lbs. Hitch 2740, GVWR 16000 lbs. 5th wheel.

I put down $500 on a 2017 350 SD Lariat, DRW, 4x4, 4.10, LWB... I really want a 350 SRW 3.55 axel, 4x4, with 20" in tires LWB....Anyone see any issues with me pulling this with a 350 SRW? I need to make my decision within a couple of days. Anyone see why the 350 SRW wouldn't pull this fine even in mountains? Thanks

Specs:

2017 350 Lariat Ultimate 4x4, 3.55 axle, 20" tires
Max GCWR 28,700 lbs.
Max Front Axle GAWR 6000 lbs.

Max Rear Axle GAWR 7230 lbs
Max Payload 11400 / 4,400 lbs.
5th wheel Max Towing 20,600 lbs.

GD Solitude 5th wheel 40ft.
GVWR 16000 lbs.
UVW 13450 lbs.
Hitch 2740 lbs.
Hitch 2740 lbs
Your pin wt is going to be very close or over your rear axle rating. You need a DRW most likely for a 16K 5th wheel. That is the number to go off of.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Payload Capacity - Need Help!!!!!!

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.