Sponsored by: Moser

NEED HELP/SUGGESTIONS/ VIDEO CLIPS FOR CHOOSING A EXHAUST

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:01 PM
jaygee15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEED HELP/SUGGESTIONS/ VIDEO CLIPS FOR CHOOSING A EXHAUST

So am restoring our 73 f100.. we got the fe 390 in it. It is being fully rebuilt. After the block was machined/honed etc, it is just a tad over 390.
It will have a mild performance edelbrock cam and intake, high performance carb and ignition. So should be running between 400-450hp. We will run stock headers on it. Want to hear it, for it to sound very nice and sweet like American v8 should, but not too loud.

thanks for any help.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:39 PM
twofifty
Senior User
What heads are on the 390? 400 horsepower is still a really good running 390 if you don't have aftermarket or CJ heads. 450 seems pretty "optimistic", especially with "stock headers" (manifolds).

Have you tried going to Youtube and searching for Mustangs/Galaxies/Fairlanes that have 390's in order to get good sound clips? Should be plenty out there.

If you're looking for just the sound, it doesn't have to be a 390 you're listening to either. We have Flowmaster 40's on our FE powered Torino; they sounded the same when it still had a 302, just a lot less "tough" (it was missing about 200 horse with the 302). I wouldn't go that route again though; I'm sick of the Flowmasters. We put Dynomax Ultra-Flo's on my dad's FE powered Mustang. MUCH better and less common.

Also are you doing an H-pipe, X-pipe, or are you one of the "true-duals for life" crowd? That would factor into your decision quite a bit too.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:16 PM
jaygee15
Senior User
Originally Posted by twofifty
What heads are on the 390? 400 horsepower is still a really good running 390 if you don't have aftermarket or CJ heads. 450 seems pretty "optimistic", especially with "stock headers" (manifolds).

Have you tried going to Youtube and searching for Mustangs/Galaxies/Fairlanes that have 390's in order to get good sound clips? Should be plenty out there.

If you're looking for just the sound, it doesn't have to be a 390 you're listening to either. We have Flowmaster 40's on our FE powered Torino; they sounded the same when it still had a 302, just a lot less "tough" (it was missing about 200 horse with the 302). I wouldn't go that route again though; I'm sick of the Flowmasters. We put Dynomax Ultra-Flo's on my dad's FE powered Mustang. MUCH better and less common.

Also are you doing an H-pipe, X-pipe, or are you one of the "true-duals for life" crowd? That would factor into your decision quite a bit too.
Not sure exactly what head they are, Im not building it myself, my good friend is. I just tried to list what I remember about it, heres a pic if that helps.

Name:  20160620_095452.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  153.0 KB

Yes I am probably being optimistic on the HP lol. I don't believe ours had a dual exhaust setup stock, but am wanting to go with a dual exhaust setup now. Not exactly sure how we will pipe it, that's what Im here asking for suggestions etc.. thank you for the good response I will check on youtube as well for clips.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:42 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Old 10-04-2016, 11:00 AM
twofifty
Senior User
Originally Posted by jaygee15
Not sure exactly what head they are, Im not building it myself, my good friend is. I just tried to list what I remember about it, heres a pic if that helps.

Yes I am probably being optimistic on the HP lol. I don't believe ours had a dual exhaust setup stock, but am wanting to go with a dual exhaust setup now. Not exactly sure how we will pipe it, that's what Im here asking for suggestions etc.. thank you for the good response I will check on youtube as well for clips.
The photo you posted is of the rods and pistons, not the heads. If the heads are original to the truck, they likely won't be high-performance versions but it should be fine for a cruiser though if your friend knows what he's doing.

For a generic starting point, I'd suggest 2.5" pipes, H-pipe, some variation of a Super Turbo muffler(s), and exit behind the rear tires. That's just me though.

If you are keeping the engine fairly mild, which it sounds like you are, then I wouldn't get carried away too much by anything bigger; no need for 3" pipes.

Mandrel bends sure look pretty, but I can't imagine them making a big power difference in your application and would be much pricier to have put together.

An H-pipe will help make a bit more torque but more importantly (to my ears at least) sounds better and won't give you the bad popping that the "true duals" crowd seems to love for some reason. X-pipe won't give you as much of a V8 roar you mentioned that you want, and at your power level really shouldn't have a big effect on overall power.

Mufflers are a personal preference. I would suggest going to car shows and when you hear one you like on a similarly built motor (all the mufflers sound sweet on a 700 horse drag motor), then ask the owner what he/she is running.

If you like the Flowmaster chambered muffler sound, try finding someone that has 50 series to compare. A few on here have run them and I prefer the sound over the original 40's (which are loud and drone).

Old 10-04-2016, 01:46 PM
jaygee15
Senior User
Originally Posted by twofifty
The photo you posted is of the rods and pistons, not the heads. If the heads are original to the truck, they likely won't be high-performance versions but it should be fine for a cruiser though if your friend knows what he's doing.

For a generic starting point, I'd suggest 2.5" pipes, H-pipe, some variation of a Super Turbo muffler(s), and exit behind the rear tires. That's just me though.

If you are keeping the engine fairly mild, which it sounds like you are, then I wouldn't get carried away too much by anything bigger; no need for 3" pipes.

Mandrel bends sure look pretty, but I can't imagine them making a big power difference in your application and would be much pricier to have put together.

An H-pipe will help make a bit more torque but more importantly (to my ears at least) sounds better and won't give you the bad popping that the "true duals" crowd seems to love for some reason. X-pipe won't give you as much of a V8 roar you mentioned that you want, and at your power level really shouldn't have a big effect on overall power.

Mufflers are a personal preference. I would suggest going to car shows and when you hear one you like on a similarly built motor (all the mufflers sound sweet on a 700 horse drag motor), then ask the owner what he/she is running.

If you like the Flowmaster chambered muffler sound, try finding someone that has 50 series to compare. A few on here have run them and I prefer the sound over the original 40's (which are loud and drone).
My bad, I was thinking piston heads, idk a ton about engines lol. But yes my friend can build an fe motor blindfolded. Yes this is just going to be a cruiser. Thanks for the good info. I had already made up my mind for the most part that I don't want the flowmaster 40's as I know they are pretty loud.

Old 10-04-2016, 09:37 PM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's mine....headman headers to 2.5 in exhaust, magnaflo 3 chamber mufflersdumped before rear axle....if you have good speakers and aren't listening with a phone, it sounds great... a deep, chunky, hollow whump....itll be even louder after the bed is back on. Tons of reading, car shows and opinions steered me in choosing how I wanted my exhaust to sound. No drone at speeds either...