National Forest trip - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

National Forest trip

Old 07-26-2016, 09:28 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
You guys are full timers? (We cool kids know the lingo)

Old 07-26-2016, 09:37 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
scraprat, how long are you staying in each spot? I'm curious how long your supplies take you.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:01 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
2 weeks at each location. That is what your allowed on National Forest land. Fresh water tank 70 gallons, Black and grey tank 62 gallons each. I'll carry three 6 gallon containers with more water and if need be while site seeing the area pick up more drinking water. 1,280 watt solar on the roof and 400 amp hour of usable batteries power, 3,000 watt hy-brid inverter.
On the way to next location find a dump station and do it all over.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:55 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
I would love to pick your brain some time. If you're in the Denver area let me know and I'll buy lunch/dinner.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:08 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Tedster9 View Post
You guys are full timers? (We cool kids know the lingo)
Yes, Enjoying what America has to offer.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:56 AM
89LX306
Posting Guru
89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.89LX306 has a great reputation on FTE.
Colorado...I can't stop myself from going back every year. Someday I will find a reason to move there.

We just got back from spending a week up in the Ridgway/Ouray/Silverton area. Spectacular scenery.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:03 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
I don't know how the mountains are doing but the front range is dry, dry, dry. My hunting unit in northern Colorado is currently going up in smoke. 26k acres burned.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:24 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
They are dry with a Stage 1 fire ban in effect, it's still amazing the amount of campers that come out and get the camp fire going with no regards of the ban.

We went out for a drive and have dinner in the forest a couple weeks ago, after dinner went for a walk up a trail and came up on a party spot that had a fire the night before still smoldering at 6pm with a smoldering log just about out the pit. The sad part was a pond not even 100' feet away they could have got some water to put it out.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:33 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
I teach fire starting for my Boy Scout Troop, along with how to properly put out a fire. Camp fires left unattended really **** me off.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
We're spoiled here in the midwest, red and white oak, elm and hickory, locust, etc. Many many years ago out thar, I cooked a hamburger over some kind of pine or spruce or somethin'. Blech! Jeeze Louise don't do that.

Old 07-27-2016, 02:07 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
I'm lazy it's the portable propane grill unless it's the evening campfire than it's a hot dog on a stick or a big bed of coals with a nice potato baking under the coals then smothered in butter and salt.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:23 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
After moving to Arapaho NF near Grand lakes area on FR455 it wasn't bad during the week but it can get quite busy with the 4 wheelers on the weekends. Took 123 over the mountain for an evening drive and saw some nice Muley bucks, Elk and Moose hanging around the 10,500K elevation mark.

Put Colorado in the rear view mirror and started heading north.

Not sure where to go at present was thinking about swinging in to Tetons, Yellow Stone but they seem to have a few fires happening at the present moment. Maybe Montana or just swing east a little in Nebraska, SD. Just trying to stay out of some of the smoke.

Sounds like a campfire and a cold one to decide.

Old 08-25-2016, 08:29 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
The Bighorn National Forest is awesome! Head up to Buffalo, Wyoming on I-25 and then head west into the national forest. There are some big elevation changes but if you've been toodling around Colorado you won't see anything worse than that. There are some nice (reservable) spots just north of Monarch Lake. I didn't have a trailer the last time I was going through there so I wasn't looking out for dispersed spots.

Take me with you!!!

Old 08-25-2016, 10:20 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Thanks for the suggestion. I was there in 2013 nice area.

Old 12-24-2016, 03:39 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
A little update with the solar sytem and past year travel.

500AH GBS LFMP (400AH usable) (lithium batteries)
PT-100 controller
Magnum Hybrid 3000W inverter
8 panels, CTI 160 (1,280 watts)

We have boondocked for free 200 days and paid for 65 days. Our daily power usage averages out to 140 AH and that depends on the weather if it's warm, because our fridge can't stay cool at times with propane so we'll cool it down on electric for a few hours. That will be taken care of soon with an Amish cooling unit. http://maliasmiles.com/amish-cooling-units/

So with 400 AH usable and using 140 AH that puts us at 3 days before needing to think about plugging in the generator if no sun comes out. The generator (Honda EU2000i) will charge 100 Amps in an hour so we'll usually leave it on for 2 hours if it needs a little hold over boost till the next day when the sun comes out. It's roughly been a dozen times.

Obviously the system is more than someone who doesn't boondock a lot or is just a power hog would put on their rig. We figured why do without when off the beaten trail.

As many have said before the only thing that we regret is not doing it sooner. If there are any specific question someone might have please ask and I'll try to answer the best I can.

We have traveled pulling the 5th wheel this year 7,225 mile traveling through/ staying in TX, NM, AZ, UT, CO, WY, NE, SD, KS, MO, AR, OK. On a side note the 6.7 diesel is a pulling beast.

Thanks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: National Forest trip

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.