National Forest trip - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

National Forest trip

Old 12-24-2016, 04:20 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street
amdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputation
Great update! Your map is filling in nicely!

Have a Merry Christmas where ever you are!

Old 12-24-2016, 05:21 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Thanks, AZ is home right now.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:19 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Flaming Gorge rec area, Utah with a little seat time in the Sea Eagle 420x

Old 06-18-2017, 11:33 PM
95F350CC
Junior User
95F350CC has a good reputation on FTE.95F350CC has a good reputation on FTE.
Scraprat, You sure have a leisurely life. I retired last week and am looking forward to a lot more camping time. Headed up to Oregon in August to watch the eclipse. Looks like we will out in the wild as most campgrounds are already full.
I have a Grand Design Reflection FW that I would like to add some solar battery charging capability to. Mainly for boon docking charging, not nearly the capacity you have but something like 500 watts. i don't anticipate more that 3 or 4 days in the rough at a time. I am wondering if the PV panels need to be secured into the roofing ribs or just into the sub panel?

Thanks for sharing your stories and any input,
Larry

Old 06-19-2017, 11:45 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street
amdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputationamdriven2liv has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by 95F350CC View Post
Scraprat, You sure have a leisurely life. I retired last week and am looking forward to a lot more camping time. Headed up to Oregon in August to watch the eclipse. Looks like we will out in the wild as most campgrounds are already full.

Larry
Congratulations on retiring. It is going to be mayhem in Central Oregon during the eclipse for sure. We will be living in Bend at that time. Not sure where we will go if anywhere!

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2017, 05:00 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 95F350CC View Post
I have a Grand Design Reflection FW that I would like to add some solar battery charging capability to. Mainly for boon docking charging, not nearly the capacity you have but something like 500 watts. i don't anticipate more that 3 or 4 days in the rough at a time. I am wondering if the PV panels need to be secured into the roofing ribs or just into the sub panel?

Thanks for sharing your stories and any input,
Larry
Larry congrats on retiring now your fun starts. I wish I could say I'm retired but I still have a longtime time to go. I just took the year off to do some more sight seeing. As far as the panels go you should be able to screw in to the roof decking.
We haven't decided just yet where we're going to experience the total eclipse but we will be in place 10 days before hand to secure a spot.

Not that I'm counting but I'm 169 continuous days so far without hookups or paying for a night of camping. That's camping in the National Forest or BLM only the views are fantastic. No black top parking lots/ store parking lots.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:38 PM
95F350CC
Junior User
95F350CC has a good reputation on FTE.95F350CC has a good reputation on FTE.
Scraprat and Amdriven,
Thanks for the information. Looks like I will be installing some solar panel in the next few weeks. I have selected the Hyatt Lake Recreation area for my stay in Oregon. A bit out of the total eclipse zone but much better than San Diego. We can always drive farther North for the total viewing. We stayed in this area back in '94 with the 84 F250 and tent trailer and really enjoyed the stay.
Larry

Old 06-27-2017, 12:22 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Slowly making our way through Wyoming went towards Lander (Shoshone NF) lucked out that the gates where just opened for the switckback climb towards Frye lake.

Now there is still some snow there and the ground looked pretty solid or is it...

After about an 1.5 hours of lifting with rear big foot, shovelling, rock placement in the hole with a repeat 2 times to get to solid ground.

Doesn't look like it was that bad but when only one side sunk to almost the axle it makes for the longest 15' to move 15.5k trailer in the boonies. Still wouldn't trade it for a campground the 0600 coffee by a fire looking at the lake makes it worthwhile.
Then moved south towards the Louis lake end on FR300

Now onto the Bridger Teton NF from the back of the 5th.

more to come.

Old 06-27-2017, 01:58 PM
bigredtruckmi
Post Fiend
bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.bigredtruckmi has a spectacular reputation.
Looks great

Old 06-30-2017, 10:19 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street
Looked like a sticky mess. In the end, the solitude is worth it. Thanks for sharing!

Old 06-30-2017, 10:52 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
It was an "oh shet" moment. The hydraulic jacks saved the day if not for them it might of been a real head scratcher.

Old 06-30-2017, 11:09 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street
Originally Posted by scraprat View Post
It was an "oh shet" moment. The hydraulic jacks saved the day if not for them it might of been a real head scratcher.
I bet! Never really gave much thought on how those would come in handy in that situation. Glad you got out.

Old 07-02-2017, 10:35 AM
Torvvald
Senior User
Torvvald is starting off with a positive reputation.
How did the truck handle the 10k elevation while towing your 5'er?

Old 07-02-2017, 01:09 PM
Sailor_Roy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Torvvald View Post
How did the truck handle the 10k elevation while towing your 5'er?
Mine does fine........just not as good of mileage.......

Old 07-02-2017, 07:01 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
I have no issues at elevation just rock solid. Mileage averages 9.5-11 depending on how much of a hurry I'm in.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: National Forest trip

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.