National Forest trip - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

National Forest trip

Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Amateurs, aka Squatleys. I like to camp on BLM land here in Colorado. The primitive nature keeps the not-really-serious campers away.
Jim trust me when I say it not only Colorado with squatters. In my travels now through Utah, Arizona, Montana's, Wyoming and I'm sure it in the other places that allow dispersed camping. I'm not talking campgronds I'm talking off the beaten path with no pit toilet, fire rings and such. People leave the rigs behind as if its their own property. I'm talking nice expensive rvs to pieces of crap that look like they haven't been moved in a very long time. Yes, there are tenters and vehicle dwellers using the same spots. I find it hard to beleive that the squatters don't know that there is a time limit 5, 14, 16 day stay limit depending on where you are and that you have to move X amount of miles for a period of time before returning. There are signs or boards with the rules so everyone can enjoy these areas but the rules don't apply to them.

Steve (RV_Tech) "RV sales are through the roof and there are dozens of technical questions, but no one ever seems to focus on what it means to be a responsible camper I.e. considerate camper."
You want to see irresponsible, inconsiderate or just plane rude leave civilization to these dispersed areas it's eye opening for sure "grown adults" acting the way they do. I think the gene pool has been poisoned beyond repair.
I'm sure we all have read posts on rv forums that thought the OP is embellishing on a story leaving facts out I dont think so much now.

Old 07-11-2017, 03:10 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
scraprat, I completely understand what you're talking about. This happens frequently in the fall. A guy or group of guys will bring their trailer up in September or earlier and leave it there until the end of October. It's all so they don't have to pull their trailer up each weekend during hunting season and so they can claim a spot without having to get there early.

There were a couple of trailers that did this in my hunting unit. I doubt that they are still there now as there was a 35K acre forest fire that went through there last fall.

As for the responsible camper part, every time I camp I leave it cleaner than I found it. I also won't shoot any guns (except for maybe a pellet gun or .22) if a campsite is in sight. And yes, I police my brass.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:43 PM
Traildust
Senior User
Traildust has a good reputation on FTE.Traildust has a good reputation on FTE.
scraprat said;
You want to see irresponsible, inconsiderate or just plane rude leave civilization to these dispersed areas it's eye opening for sure "grown adults" acting the way they do. I think the gene pool has been poisoned beyond repair.
I couldn't agree more.

Three years ago my wife and I got stuck in what is referred to as the Backpackers Campground or Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley while waiting for a permit to hike about 60 miles of the John Muir Trail southbound. Yosemite Valley is so absolutely beautiful and yet rendered so depressing by so many.
Bill

Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM
RV_Tech
Post Fiend
RV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputationRV_Tech has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
scraprat said;

I couldn't agree more.

Three years ago my wife and I got stuck in what is referred to as the Backpackers Campground or Happy Isles in Yosemite Valley while waiting for a permit to hike about 60 miles of the John Muir Trail southbound. Yosemite Valley is so absolutely beautiful and yet rendered so depressing by so many.
Bill

we we just walked away from the last two days of our Glacier reservation. Just don't need to be around that much stupid!

Steve

Old 07-12-2017, 10:37 AM
Sailor_Roy
FTE Chapter Leader
Sailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputationSailor_Roy has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by RV_Tech View Post
we we just walked away from the last two days of our Glacier reservation. Just don't need to be around that much stupid!

Steve
That is a shame.........
Glacier is so nice ........without people.

Not far from Great Falls Montana are a number of places we enjoy with no people in site........
Willow Creek Reservoir outside of Augusta MT..BLM land..Camp anywhere........

Old 07-12-2017, 10:56 AM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Last couple NP we wanted to see we waited till after the last big summer Holiday and when the kiddies are back to school. The crowds are there some just not as bad and what wrong with viewing a zombie on vacation with the potential of seeing them get darwined by a wild animal.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:51 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Nothing to special but its quite in this part of the forest boondocking around Island Park, Id and only 35 minutes from West Yellowstone and some great road trips in some back country.

Ghoust Village rd, cabins that washed down from the 1959 earthquake. Earthquake Lake

Old 07-15-2017, 05:28 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Whats the temp around there?

Old 07-15-2017, 05:45 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa View Post
Whats the temp around there?
It's 86 on my outside thermometer right now at 1540 hours it was 50 this morning at 0700. Elevation roughly 6,431'.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:10 PM
Traildust
Senior User
Your are really making me jealous scraprat with those pictures of yours. Honestly we do hope that you and yours enjoy this lifestyle for as long as you wish to do it.
Looking at those last two pictures it looks like there is some Bark Beetle infestation going on, you should see what they have done to the forest around Lake Tahoe - really sad.
Bill

Old 07-16-2017, 05:45 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
I was near that neck of the woods last year for work Susanville, Westwood, Quincy, Sacramento California. I didn't get a chance to get towards Reno sooner or later though.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:48 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Did a little road trip/ sight seeing trip on the Mesa Falls Scenic Byway

Those are the Tetons in the distance (40miles)
Now all the times that I looked at Yellowstone maps I never noticed that in the southwest corner there is one more enterance point that can be driven to with Cave Falls being the only thing to see besides the very remote peaceful surrondings plus some great views. Visit Cave Falls in the remote Bechler area of southwestern Yellowstone Park Yellowstone Gate So an unplanned side trip destination of 14 mile dirt/ gravel and now driven to all access point of the park.

Dinner spot
**** note *** that when in these areas bear spray is carried. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. This is BEAR country.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:24 PM
Traildust
Senior User
Sooner or later you are going to get into Big Foot Territory!
Bill

Old 07-18-2017, 05:59 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Sooner or later you are going to get into Big Foot Territory!
Bill
Big Foot or a Grizzly is what I'm after. Now I've seen grizzly from a very far distance in Many Glacier west of Babb (Glacier NP) on the slopes but a little closer wouldn't hurt my feelings as long as it isn't peeling the door off the rig.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:26 PM
Drisean
Junior User
Drisean is starting off with a positive reputation.
Beautiful - but (don't hit me) animals are not 'it's, no things. Maybe animal abuse would be less, if people would start realizing that animals are sentient beings.

Ok.. off topic over.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: National Forest trip

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.