6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0, multiple problems...Ford could care less.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 12:18 PM
M1911
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0, multiple problems...Ford could care less.

I can't find anything on this in the tech section above. Thought I'd ask for advice here.. I've worked through the dealer, I've called the end of the line as far up Ford as I can figure out how to go. Just talked to April in Dearborn. Sorry April, your effort to help was a waste of my time.

OK, time to give up on Ford and that will be a lesson to me. I've owned over 50 vehicles, some manufacturers simply don't care about their customers. I get it, big Corps....I won't purchase any more trucks without doing a lot of research regarding issues....at a good Forum like this one.

Here is the deal and I would appreciate opinions on the various aspects of what I might be able to achieve. I've already thrown $10 K at the truck at my expense. The vehicle involved is a 2007 F 450 6.0 diesel with the tank behind the rear axle. I purchased it new. By 38K the fuel tank had delaminated and rusted. I was blamed for using bad fuel. I use the same fuel everyone else uses... OK, that one cost me $3,000, tank, labor, filters, fuel pump, injectors, pressure regulator. Replacement tank...same as the original...they delaminate and rust. They last less than one year. My most recent OEM Ford tank, less than one year old will stop up both filters ( $80) in 37 days and less than 250 miles.

To make a long story shorter I'm on tank number 5 I think. The dealer finally admitted they have a problem with the tanks. Ford Dearborn admits nothing.

While I am really aggravated at having to do it and spend a lot of my money again on a truck that only has 66,000 miles on it I need to get this behind me and the truck on the road.....even if I have to purchase Ford parts...so, advice please.

At present I am thinking of installing a Titan polymer tank $1,000

I need a new sending unit. $500 Ford unit with me installing. Is there any reason not to purchase a cheaper unit from another supplier? There really isn't much to these. On the other hand even other brands are expensive.

My FICUM was reading 24V while running. I pulled it, re-soldered the 16 outer contact points under the power module. I am now reading 44 V while running.As most of you know it is supposed to put out 48V with 45 V running the low point.

Ford only sells the complete bottom portion, not just the board although their information is that the power board is the problem 95% of the time. Ford partial unit at another $500 or some after market board that I see costing from $120 to $250. Are these on line new units any good? There isn't much to removal and replacement of the board......25 min max.

The trucks takes 4 seconds to start when cold. I'm not sure that is much of a problem to me. 3 seconds when hot. One cylinder seems to be missing. This is likely an injector problem. There is no loud knocking. I don't know if a new power board would solve that issue and neither does the dealer here.

Apparently a high pressure oil leak is possible as reported by recent 6 weeks the truck was at the dealer. There is no oil on the outside of the engine.. The leak could be internal and I understand high oil pressure to the injectors is required for proper operation.

The EGR and oil cooler has already been repaired...again at my expense.

So those are my questions at this point. I don't know who else to turn to at Ford. These are not my Dealerships problems. I think they have done what they could. They are finally in agreement with me regarding none of this being my fault. They did send the less than one year old, delaminated, rusting tank out for cleaning and some type of red sealant. My diesel mechanic says that process is worthless and to get the Titan tank.

Ford sending unit or after market?

Titan tank?

Ford $500 FICUM bottom or after market power board for $120+

My diesel mechanic will fix the high pressure leak and any injector issues...again. But until I stop the rust and debris from the tank lining I'm apparently wasting time and money. Comments appreciated from those of you who have experience with all things related to this. Thanks. M1911

Old 03-15-2016, 01:09 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Did any of these problems happen when the truck was under warranty?? If you're out of warranty, you'll be paying for the repairs, not Ford. No manufacturer would pay. Most of the issues you're having are common to the 6.0

Now as far as the delaminating fuel tank goes. Some have issues, some never do. The Titan's are a great product. Get a Ford sending unit.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:22 PM
Mike189677
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
For the ficm the best thing you can do for it is send it to Ed @ ficmrepair.com or he also has an exchange program if you can't have the down time but since it doesn't run anyway because of the fuel tank I guess that wont be much of a problem right now. You also need to make sure your batteries and charging system are healthy that is very important to the ficm. You could always give Ed a call he'll probably tell you more than you ever wanted to know about ficm and how they work. Lots of guys here use him and are very happy with his products and his customer service. Also another member here Anthony (run6.0run.) runs a shop that works on tons of 6.0's Super Duty Service and I know I've seen where he has a solution for the delaninating tanks I think he gets them locally to him. Maybe a mod can move this to the 6.0 section.

Old 03-15-2016, 01:23 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Moved to 6L PSD forum.

Old 03-15-2016, 02:01 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
You can save a lot of money on parts like the sending unit for the fuel level
if you use FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts
They sell real Ford parts that have the full warrantee.
Check there site and if you don't see something use the contact us page and
send a message to them. Let me know if you need any help.

Ed can deal with a problem FICM and get you back on the road.
He also has an exchange program if you need it fast.

Speaking of Anthony. He has a line on a guy that does something to the steel
tanks that seems to last. Give him a call and see if he can help you out.
Super Duty Service in Grain Valley, Mo

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 03-15-2016, 02:53 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My uncle went through 4 Ford tanks on his 04 f550 6.0 before I finally had him put a Titan? Plastic fuel tank in. No problems since. He loves his truck now

Old 03-15-2016, 03:16 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Titan tank.
FICM power board, easy repair as you mentioned. But before that can happen, you need to get the batteries and charging system right... the reason it's killing that FICM. FICMrepair.com, give a good warranty and can answer any questions you have. I bought a power board on line, Techsmart or something like that, worked great, $125 and done.... no warranty and if it dies, I'm out.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd find a tank renu dealer near yourself and have the fuel tank done by them. They do all my muscle car tanks at half the price of a new one and the problems are over for good.

Old 03-15-2016, 04:36 PM
M1911
Freshman User
Originally Posted by sammy77
Did any of these problems happen when the truck was under warranty?? If you're out of warranty, you'll be paying for the repairs, not Ford. No manufacturer would pay. Most of the issues you're having are common to the 6.0

Now as far as the delaminating fuel tank goes. Some have issues, some never do. The Titan's are a great product. Get a Ford sending unit.
Thanks for the reply Sammy. Apparently the warranty was good for 36K miles. We took the truck in at 38,000 miles. We had been having trouble but I own an landscaping company and we stay busy. The Dealership guys rightly agreed that the rusting/delaminating began while under warranty a paid for part of the tank. I paid for everything else, filters, fuel pump, press regulator, injectors, etc. After the new tank was installed I asked had it been upgraded....the Service Manager shook his head, no same tank and it will rust again and it did. M1911

Old 03-15-2016, 04:40 PM
M1911
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mike189677
For the ficm the best thing you can do for it is send it to Ed @ ficmrepair.com or he also has an exchange program
Thanks Mike, I will look into Ed's services. I'm not really aggravated with the Dealership, their hands are tied. It's the fact that this is a known problem and Ford hasn't stepped up to the plate for owners or even come out with an aftermarket tank as a solution. Just the same ole, same ole tank. Why would anyone expect a different outcome. Thanks again. M1911

Old 03-15-2016, 04:46 PM
M1911
Freshman User
[QUOTE=Yahiko;16127910]You can save a lot of money on parts like the sending unit for the fuel level
if you use FICMRepair.com - FORD Powerstroke 6.0 FICM Repair, PHP Tuning and Truck Parts

Thanks, Yahiko....I will be checking into that... I bit the bullet today and bought a new sending unit. The parts guys at least gave me sort of a break and charged me $350 for it. Ford Dealership. So that much is finished. I can tell if I have fuel in the truck again. M1911

Old 03-15-2016, 04:51 PM
M1911
Freshman User
Originally Posted by acf6
My uncle went through 4 Ford tanks on his 04 f550 6.0 before I finally had him put a Titan? Plastic fuel tank in. No problems since. He loves his truck now

Tell him I feel his pain..... If I didn't make it clear in my OP, the dealer did what he could this time and sent my less than one year old but already delaminated and rusty tank out for cleaning and they reinstalled it at no cost other than $120 diagnostic fees. My certified diesel mechanic said he knew all about that deal and it won't last. It is easy enough to pull 8 bolts, lift up the sending unit and inspect the tank. We have a dump bed so this makes it very easy. I'm keeping an eye on it. As of today...a week down the road from the reseal...the inside looks good. I'll put up a picture but I think the Titan is the only solution. I figure if I spend that $1,000 there is no way Ford will pay for it so I am still hoping for someone from Ford to get in contact with me.....still waiting.....still waiting....... Thanks for the reply....I think this is the ultimate answer to keep this problem from occurring time after time. M1911

Old 03-15-2016, 04:54 PM
M1911
Freshman User
Originally Posted by WatsonR
Titan tank.
FICM power board, easy repair as you mentioned. But before that can happen, you need to get the batteries and charging system right... the reason it's killing that FICM. FICMrepair.com, give a good warranty and can answer any questions you have. I bought a power board on line, Techsmart or something like that, worked great, $125 and done.... no warranty and if it dies, I'm out.
Thanks WatsonR, I would like to hear from folks who have installed the Techsmart or other units. The look identical to the factory board. Ford only sells the top part...they call it the bottom but it is the top. Up is the top as far as I remember. Anyway I looked at a new one at the Dealer about an hour ago. Just what I needed... Another $500. Didn't purchase it. I'm still wondering if 44 volts will get the job done. Batteries are pretty new, putting out 12.5 v and charging system has been checked. Good there. At least as of a couple of days ago. Truck has two batteries. M1911

Old 03-15-2016, 04:59 PM
M1911
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I'd find a tank renu dealer near yourself and have the fuel tank done by them. They do all my muscle car tanks at half the price of a new one and the problems are over for good.
Right now I am going to keep a close eye on the filters and the tank to see if the seal job works. I'm told it won't.. The Dealership service mgr and mechanic says they have been sending them out for cleaning and sealing for two years now and it works. My diesel mechanic who purchases $50K from them a year says it doesn't and a Titan is the only solution. At least I've finally gotten the local dealership to agreeing there is a problem not of my doing. Again, this truck still only has 66,300 miles on it. Looks new. The filters are new again and the upper bowl is spotless. The tank is good....of course it has only been back from a six week rest at the dealership for three days or so. M1911

Old 03-15-2016, 06:24 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by M1911
Thanks WatsonR, I would like to hear from folks who have installed the Techsmart or other units. The look identical to the factory board. Ford only sells the top part...they call it the bottom but it is the top. Up is the top as far as I remember. Anyway I looked at a new one at the Dealer about an hour ago. Just what I needed... Another $500. Didn't purchase it. I'm still wondering if 44 volts will get the job done. Batteries are pretty new, putting out 12.5 v and charging system has been checked. Good there. At least as of a couple of days ago. Truck has two batteries. M1911
Ford says no less than 45v, but I'm pretty sure that lower voltage doesn't kill injectors, it will run like crap until it's repaired. Low fuel pressure, air, and water will kill them pronto. There are a few guys here with the Techsmart R76001 power boards. I'd start a new thread and ask for reviews. That's just the power side, logic side can also cause issues, Ed at FICM REPAIR would know those answers.

Quick Reply: 6.0, multiple problems...Ford could care less.