1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Can other tuners write tunes for DP F6 v2 now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can other tuners write tunes for DP F6 v2 now?

Ok, first, I understand the answer has traditionally been definitely not. However, I saw an interesting few sentences in the product description on their website that makes me wonder if that has now changed:
F6 V2 SMARTChip with optional Bluetooth - Chips - Chips, Programmers and Tuning - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke
"F6 v2 enhancements over the v1 F6:

Optional bluetooth for Windows (additional charges apply)

Open source- your tunes must be 256K file format. If your tunes are not they must be converted to this format." (red/bold emphasis mine)

So, does this mean that the F6 V2 is now open to 3rd party tuners?
Who does, or can write tunes in this "256k file format"?

Also, perhaps Justin or Jody can comment as to how one can tell if they have an F6 v1 vs an F6 v2. Also, if one has the older v1, is there a discount and/or trade in to "update" to the v2

Old 02-12-2016, 11:35 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
I spoke to Justin on the phone, and yes the v2, which came out about a year and a half ago, is "open source", so that others can tune for it, using the 256k file format.

Unfortunately, I'm fairly certain my F6 is the older v1. I was also told that there is no discount or trade in available to upgrade/update to the v2. So, if I want to be able to use other peoples' tunes I either need to go buy a Hydra and walk away from DP completely, or spend $400 for another F6 (v2), which is nearly the same as what I already have, for access to both DP tunes (which I already have) as well as possibly the ability to "play the field". Neither is an attractive option right now; and in fact there is no way I can spend that kind of money any time in the foreseeable future. So, the rest of the conversation, for me anyway, is purely for hypothetical/educational purposes.

Does anybody know of other tuners that even can/will write tunes in the "256k" file format, for use on the F6? Justin said that believed that most other tuners use a smaller file size, but that can be converted/up-sized to work. So, are there tuners willing to do this? I've heard/read good things about Gearhead and PHP, and I would be curious to try their tunes.

How would one load those tunes onto the F6? Will the usual DP software utility accept those tunes and transfer them to the chip properly?

Alternatively, does anybody know of any tuners who can/will write a tune for the older F6, whether it is "officially" sanctioned or not?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:58 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I am real curious of this as well. I have the Infinity, but it is provisioned to accept up to 6 chips as well. I would gladly pay the 400 for this new F6 as you call it. I have always wanted to try other tunes, but did not want to remove my Infinity and buy all new. This would totally solve that. I am very interested, please post your results. Hopefully DP will chime in with answers. Not much use if the other tuners don't use the same format. Kind of a wasted feature if that's the case. I have my credit card ready!

Old 02-12-2016, 01:17 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Originally Posted by Absolute
Well, I am real curious of this as well. I have the Infinity, but it is provisioned to accept up to 6 chips as well. I would gladly pay the 400 for this new F6 as you call it. I have always wanted to try other tunes, but did not want to remove my Infinity and buy all new. This would totally solve that. I am very interested, please post your results. Hopefully DP will chime in with answers. Not much use if the other tuners don't use the same format. Kind of a wasted feature if that's the case. I have my credit card ready!
I think you have it a little mixed up. The Infinity doesn't "accept chips". It accepts tunes. Which ever tune you select at that time is then flashed to the ecm. You can not switch tunes "on the fly".
What you can do, is use a chip, instead of the tuning in the Infinity. In that case the ecm is stock, the Infinity then only functions as gauges/datalogging. You can then use a switcher, in conjunction with the chip (physically installed in the J3 port of the ecm) to switch between tunes while driving. You can also buy the CEI hub ($250), which will then allow the Infinity to "control" or switch the chip, instead of using a switcher.

So, to do what you are thinking, with DP products, you would need to buy a new F6 v2 chip, for $400, a CEI hub ($250) ( if you want the Infinity to control the chip), and whatever tunes you wanted; assuming we can find a 3rd party vendor willing to write those 256k format tunes in the first place.

What I would do, if I were in your position, would be to keep the Infinity ( which I assume you have DP tunes on?) If you want to try other tuners, then just buy a Hydra chip ( or a cheaper TS6), and get tunes from whoever you want. Set the Infininty to stock/no tuning, and you can then continue to use the Infinity for gauges/datalogging/diagnostics, and use the new chip for tunes. Then, if you want to, you can always pull the chip, and go back to your DP tunes on the Infinity. In fact, I believe the Hydra has a true "bypass" mode, so you might even be able to leave it installed when not in use?

Old 02-12-2016, 01:48 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually No. The Infinity is a programmer yes. I have to stop and load my tunes. But the infinity also is provisioned for up to 6 chips, which are shift on the fly, and can be added and changed between at your discretion. I imagine you must be on your stock tune, then select your chip, then your chips tune. Not sure how it works, I just know there are 6 ports available for chips, and the section, currently blank because I have no chips installed, has all 6 positions available for use. The Infinity is like a hub with tuning capabilities. It can scan, record, AE tests, dino run, tune, play music, link to phone, etc etc. You also need the hub which is an accessory to attach all the gauges you add that aren't off the usb port, like pyro. And your chips, and any analoge devices you like. Its a cool toy, but limited to DP software. Which is why since I can add a chip, I like this idea you have for other tunes. SO hook up is not my issue. Whether that chip takes the other tunes is all I want to know. That would make my system too cool, and I wouldn't need 5 other chips. Since its open??? My cards still ready! Lol

Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
I can tell you what I did. I had the F6....i bought a Hydra and sold my F6...cheap. No regrets either.

Old 02-13-2016, 04:48 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Gave my F6 V1 away in exchange for help with injector cups - after daring to try another tuner.