Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Difference between chips and tuners

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 05:14 PM
blhfla
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between chips and tuners

Probably an ignorant question, but what is the difference between a tuner and a chip? I know that chips are specific and "burned" and tuners are adjustable, but aren't some chips "flippable" and doesn't the TS chip have 6 "positions"?

A follow up (objective, generic, non-brand related please) question: What are the pros and cons of each? Not looking for any pissing contests or brand wars, just a "tuners are better for this because ..." and "chips are better for that because...."

Thanks. Trying to decide if I want a chip or tuner; then I'll decide whose.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:59 PM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by blhfla
Probably an ignorant question, but what is the difference between a tuner and a chip? I know that chips are specific and "burned" and tuners are adjustable, but aren't some chips "flippable" and doesn't the TS chip have 6 "positions"?

A follow up (objective, generic, non-brand related please) question: What are the pros and cons of each? Not looking for any pissing contests or brand wars, just a "tuners are better for this because ..." and "chips are better for that because...."

Thanks. Trying to decide if I want a chip or tuner; then I'll decide whose.
Here's my take on the subject:
1) Yes, chips are specific and burned to one set of tune parameters but can have up to 6 flashes on one chip that can be changed with a simple multiposition switch.
2) A tuner allows u to program parameters ,use standard tune files,custom tune files, read fault codes and perform datalogging.

Admin: Promotional plug removed. User ask for this to not to be brand specific.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:53 AM
PowerStrokeMe
Senior User
There are chips that you can buy with just one program(hp setting) on it, 4 , or 6.
Tuners are better as far as like what PSNut said (personal diagnostic tool and tune the truck to your own specifications)
Chips will give you more hp/tq so it just depends on what you want. They are a set program, but its easy to flip that switch and go into 4 different worlds

Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 AM
PSNut
Postmaster
Originally Posted by PowerStrokeMe
There are chips that you can buy with just one program(hp setting) on it, 4 , or 6.
Tuners are better as far as like what PSNut said (personal diagnostic tool and tune the truck to your own specifications)
Chips will give you more hp/tq so it just depends on what you want. They are a set program, but its easy to flip that switch and go into 4 different worlds
Actually,correct me if i'm wrong here, a tuner can download the same flash files as a chip making it the same in that respect. When u get a flip chip your gettting a chip with multiple files on it ready to be used by a quick switch.
With the tuner u can store multiple files but have to download to change.
I believe all the different tuners out there come with their own programed files for each vehicle and are a little more of a guess-timate on all parameters and
Admin: Promotional plug removed. User ask for this to not to be brand specific.

Old 12-16-2005, 06:41 AM
twildman
Junior User
The "standard" tuners are a cookie cutter type application, a one size fits all if you will.

A custom burned chip can be programed to your specific truck and mods if thats what you want.

Admin: Promotional plug removed. User asked for this to not to be brand specific.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:03 AM
blhfla
Senior User
I plan on getting a VAG-COM for diagnosing VWs (including diesels). Does anyone know if this will work on the Powerstroke (is it ODBII based) as well? If so, I wouldn't benefit from the TS diagnostic capability and then perhaps the chip would be the direction for me to go.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:22 AM
vancouverpower
Elder User
I have a 6 position chip that can be reburned to a few different settings. The local parts place I got mine from can downlaod stuff and burn it right on the spot while I wait. Mine is set up with 1) vallet (sp?) won't go over 70 mph. Actaully kind of useless, would be better if it could be set at 55-60 but they can only do the 70 mph setting. 2) High idle 1,200 rpm's 3) stock 4) 50 hp 5) 75 hp 6) 100 hp

I always leave it on 50 hp unless I wanna race or make a lot of smoke then I set it to 100 hp. The only other option I really use is the high idle.

I think you can get the options burned in any position on the switch and they might have more options also.

Old 12-16-2005, 10:38 AM
day jefro
Senior User
Talking

i never heard of acostom burned chip till the day after i ordered my bully dog 4 pos still very happy with it 1= 50 hp 2= 80 hp 3= 120 hp 4= 150. i pull in 50 exclusivly . for some reason i get better milage on the 120 hp setting truck seems to run smoother there too my truck needs hp . he he he. the 150 is definatly extreme my hpop or fuel pump has a hard time keeping up wow is it fast. stillwish i had gotten one of mr tiptons . if you decide to get a chip i'l sell you mine for a good price. if you need big hp get one from mr tipton.

Old 12-16-2005, 11:36 AM
dvsing
New User
I've had both a tuner and now a chip. I think a chip will always out perform a tuner. I like my chip a lot more than the tuner. I use the tuner for checking codes.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:33 PM
4X4 IN REFUGIO
Elder User
I Second The Post Made By Dvsing (from The Post Above).
My Comments And Experience With The Chip And Tuner Are The Same As His.
I Would Say That You Would Be Pleased With A Tuner But Only Untill You Try A Chip....... Then You'll Want The Chip !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Power Wise The Chip Will Beat The Tuner .... Hands Down ...no Doubt About It.

Old 12-16-2005, 12:40 PM
blhfla
Senior User
Well, looks like chip it is. Does anyone know if the diagnostics on a 99 PSD is ODBII compliant? Can I use a VAG-COM or ODBII analyzer? If not, a tuner might be more valuable.

Old 12-16-2005, 02:29 PM
blhfla
Senior User
OK, answered my own Q. The VAG-COM is for ISO networks, Ford is PWM. Apparently just every manufacturers uses ISO, except Ford and GM. Guess I'll have to investigate other OBD2 tools now (still think I want to go the chip route).

Old 12-16-2005, 03:03 PM
mech2161
Posting Guru
OK, answered my own Q. The VAG-COM is for ISO networks, Ford is PWM. Apparently just every manufacturers uses ISO, except Ford and GM. Guess I'll have to investigate other OBD2 tools now (still think I want to go the chip route).
A generic OBDII code reader will not read vehicle specific codes on a PSD.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:21 PM
blhfla
Senior User
Originally Posted by mech2161
A generic OBDII code reader will not read vehicle specific codes on a PSD.
I was looking at Autoenginuity; they have 7.3 PSD powertrain support. I imagine there are others that have modules/support as well, I just need to start some research.

Old 12-16-2005, 04:01 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I was looking at Autoenginuity; they have 7.3 PSD powertrain support. I imagine there are others that have modules/support as well, I just need to start some research.
The AE diagnostic software is a great tool for the Powerstroke.
Get the enhanced version if you are considering the AE.

Quick Reply: Difference between chips and tuners