Computer Chips & Tuners  

Dp tuner f5 vs f6?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:30 PM
dealwithit
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dp tuner f5 vs f6?

Hey all, so I'm looking at the dp tuner chips with the selector switch. My truck is a 99 f350 with the 7.3l power stroke. I'm wondering what the difference is between the 2 chips, being one is 200, the other is 400, and the only thing stated is the f6 is a "smart" chip? Also trying to get setup on a budget, the truck has high miles (270,000miles) but I would like to pick up some power/mileage, etc. the infinity system is pretty sweet, seems a little over the top for me right now tho. Thanks!

Old 06-07-2013, 01:31 AM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Hello,

Both chips tune in the same fashion and work the same. They also hold the same amount of tunes. The difference between them is how tunes are loaded on to them. With the F5, you would have to send the chip back to us if you ever want to add any tunes or update old ones. With the F6, you are able to add tunes to the chip yourself with a laptop/computer. This can even be done without removing the chip from the PCM if you have a laptop to bring out to the truck. We e-mail you the tunes, you plug your computer into the chip via USB, and you load the tunes onto the chip in the position you want.

The F6 is a much more convenient option, and will save you a lot of down time if you ever have the desire for more/different tunes.

Feel free to contact me with any other questions you may have.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com
Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM
dealwithit
New User
Ok, that totally explains it, thanks. do you need a f6 at all if you have an infinity, for chip/tuning purposes? With the f6 you have the selector switch for changing tunes, I'm wondering what the infinity procedure would be for changing tunes assuming it works on its own with a f5/f6 installed? Also as far as adding a dp tuner to my truck what needs to be done to the ecu, if anything? Thanks for your help.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:31 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Originally Posted by dealwithit
Ok, that totally explains it, thanks. do you need a f6 at all if you have an infinity, for chip/tuning purposes? With the f6 you have the selector switch for changing tunes, I'm wondering what the infinity procedure would be for changing tunes assuming it works on its own with a f5/f6 installed? Also as far as adding a dp tuner to my truck what needs to be done to the ecu, if anything? Thanks for your help.
I have the F6 and Infinity. I use the Infinity for gauges and data logging / troubleshooting.
With the Infinity you have to have the truck stoped to change tunes, like with a handheld tuner. With the F6 it's switch on the fly, which is pretty convenient.

Old 06-07-2013, 12:35 PM
cjgray1974
More Turbo
Here is a goot thread if your thinking about a chip. It explains about what to look for and what needs to be done to get your truck to 100% so you don't blow it up.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...his-first.html

Old 06-07-2013, 02:02 PM
dealwithit
New User
Ok for either unit does anything have to be done to the ecu? As in something it would have to be sent away for? Thanks

Old 06-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Justin@DP-Tuner
PREMIUM SPONSOR
The Infinity will tune by itself without the use of a chip. However, as cjgray1974 stated, the engine will have to be off to change tunes. This is because the Infinity is a programmer and not a chip.

It is very easy to change tunes with the Infinity, but it does take a couple minutes to load new tunes. All it takes are a few clicks of the touch screen to load a new tune.

If you plan on using the Infinity alone(for tuning and/or monitoring), then the PCM does not even have to be touched. If you plan on using one of our chips, you will have to remove the PCM to install the chip. The only thing that would have to be done to the PCM is cleaning the J3 port where the chip slides on to.

Ok for either unit does anything have to be done to the ecu? As in something it would have to be sent away for? Thanks
You would not have to send the PCM away for anything with either unit.

Like us on Facebook!

www.dp-tuner.com