1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upfitter work

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 05:06 PM
dscabra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On my 2007, the panel under the steering column just pulls off.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:52 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
I'm good with stuff like that, but I have not figured out how the panel comes out under the column on my 13 yet. It really wouldn't help if it did. You slither in on your back arms first and work under the dash. Then curse Ford for not making the wires 2" longer. It's not easy access.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:11 AM
14SD4Jeffro
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BCM
So I am assuming I attach the power lead from the device to one of the blunt cut wires for the specific switch, then attach the other lead to a ground and I'm done?
once you locate the passthrough wires in the engine bay, you then need to locate the opposite end under the dash (sucks if you're a bit color blind & need to keep bugging friends & neighbors every time you want to utilize a switch )

once you find the passthrough wire under the dash, then you also need to find the wire for whichever switch you intend on using, using the upfitter guide that's previously been posted, keeping in mind the amp limitations of each particular switch.

for instance, my 53" bar, was to be connected to switch 1 because of the amp rating of the bar (21 amps).
1) ground wire on light bar to negative battery terminal
2) hot wire on light bar to one of the 4 passthrough wires under the hood (I believe I used the solid white wire: easier for color blind idjits
3) switch one uses the solid yellow wire under the dash
4)connect the solid yellow (switch one) to the solid white (passthrough wire hooked to hot wire under hood) wire under your dash...

easy peasy...once you get the colors figured out & figure which of the literally dozens of wires you need to use

shot of the 4 passthrough wires, 2 in use

closeup of passthrough ends under hood (by main fuse panel, drivers side, against firewall

the initial mess under the dash

jumble of what you need to sort through to find which wires you need

Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 AM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the responses, and especially the pictures. The functionality is much clearer to me, but I've scrapped doing it myself as I don't have the skills, especially for running the wire inside and up to the top of the dash. Local truck outfitter is going to do it all for me next week.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:28 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
.... Then curse Ford for not making the wires 2" longer. It's not easy access.
Ditto - can't figure out why they put on such short wire stubs - they're almost useless. Even after clipping the tie wrap holding the upfitter harness in place, there was no way I could crimp a connector onto the wire stub without having an extra wrist joint in the middle of my forearm.

I ended up splicing & soldering my wires onto the ends of the upfitter stubs. (I HATE having to solder upside-down directly over my face!)

Old 03-24-2016, 12:28 PM
BCM
More Turbo

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Took several years to find a use for all of the upfitters, but they're all proudly connected and working as designed. Made the 900 mile trek to Nashville and back and all devices performed perfectly, especially the wireless observation camera. The GPS and camera monitor wires run up through the dash to the tray up top, with the TPMS receiver in the lower left. Eliminates the need for three 12 volt plugs.

Old 03-10-2017, 08:01 PM
motionmatt
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferguson65
I think you're getting the pass through wires and upfitter wires confused.

The upfitter wires are tied up around the parking brake and are already connected to the relays an switches. These 4 wires will have power when you turn the associated switch on. The wire colors and amp ratings are all clearly written out in the owners manual.

The pass through wires are 4 (or 5, I forget) wires that are routed through the firewall in the main harness that do nothing more than have a sealed cap on each end. These are for if you need to run a wire outside the cab, you already have a few wires run through the firewall, you just need to connect to both sides. The inside of the pass through wires is tied up in the bundle of customer access wiring to the left of the brake pedal. The outside is tied up behind the power distribution box near the left hood hinge.

For what you are trying to do, you will not need the pass through wires. All you need to do is connect your power wire from the TST hardwire harness to the wire from the upfitter of your choosing. Same with your camera wire, connect to another upfitter wire. Connect ground wires to a ground under the dash and you're set. Flip switches and power your stuff up!
Ive searched for a couple hours on the internet, links, forums and owners manual and this is by far the best detailed explanation for this confusion.
Thank you