Fifth Wheel Hitch Height Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 01:12 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,673 Likes on 2,743 Posts
Fifth Wheel Hitch Height Adjustment?

I'm new to the forum, looking at a 2017 F-450 when they come out. I've pulled a few bumper-pull utility and ATV trailers but never a fifth wheel. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for my future purchase. I'm sure there are plenty of issues that I don't know about.

Is the Ford factory fifth wheel setup in the bed worth it? I think what I'm talking about is just the mounting points, not the actual hitch itself. It looks like it's a clean setup.

I will be primitive camping in remote locations in Colorado and Wyoming where access is on less than ideal dirt roads. I saw on etrailer.com that a 6" clearance between the trailer and the bed is recommended. What do you do when 6" isn't enough clearance? Are there fifth wheel hitches that are easily/quickly height adjustable?

I saw one hitch on the etrailer site that had 4" of vertical adjustment but it requires four bolts to be removed. That doesn't sound like much fun in the field.

Old 10-31-2015, 02:01 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Hitches should be adjusted with the pin weight on the truck. The trailer should sit pretty close to level vs the truck bed sides. While older 5th wheel trailers had their hitch boxes tucked pretty well under the nose, many if not most of the later 5ers have an extended hitch which is virtually the end point of the RV and mostly because so many trucks are short beds. A 6 inch clearance is usually enough but there is always that very sharp turn upgrade where you might have contact.

The hitch you are looking at is probably a B&W. That hitch has, I believe 16 different ways it can be adjusted and is, IMO, the Cadillac of these hitches.

As far as the Ford option - this includes a bunch of upgrades though not the hitch itself. Again, a B&W with that Ford 5er option is a very nice way to go.

This is the B&W prior to my purchasing a newer truck and without the option:

And then upgraded with only a different base to the 2011 truck and have about 12K miles in the past year on that assembly. It went from an 18,000# capacity hitch to a 20,000# capacity with only a base change and the Ford 5er option:

Old 10-31-2015, 03:09 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I don't think many folks are adjusting hitch height while on the road.

Old 10-31-2015, 04:09 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I have to admit to a red face on that - did it on my first couple trips

with the B&W.

The newer version B&W's have nut plates to attach the arms and are a LOT easier then the original separate nut and bolt arrangement. All you need is a short 3/4" socket and long extension though a flex socket and long extension works even better

Old 10-31-2015, 04:43 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
I don't tend to go where most folks go. If I can see a fellow camper it's too crowded.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:33 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Irelands child
I have to admit to a red face on that - did it on my first couple trips

with the B&W.

The newer version B&W's have nut plates to attach the arms and are a LOT easier then the original separate nut and bolt arrangement. All you need is a short 3/4" socket and long extension though a flex socket and long extension works even better
I still think meds are in order!

Steve

Old 10-31-2015, 05:36 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The B&W Companion 5th wheel hitch is awesome and I get no chucking over dips or RR tracks.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:48 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Hitches should be adjusted with the pin weight on the truck.

I think he means that hitches should be adjusted "for" the pin weight on the truck. Adjusting it "with" the weight on the truck sounds like a dangerous task.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:31 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
The Reese/Ford hitch has height adjustments. The 18K has 4 holes for height adjustment and the 26K has 3 holes. I have the 26K in my truck and no problems with the distance between the bed and the trailer.

I just made a trip this past August of 7800 from Alabama to Seattle Washington and back with no problems. in 2014, I towed from Alabama to Estes Park outside Denver with no Issues.

Old 11-01-2015, 06:42 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yes, but it sounds like the OP camps where treads might be indicated!

Steve

Old 11-01-2015, 09:53 AM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Since it sounds like you are talking about a "quick" way to adjust hitch height, NOT the adjustment to originally set hitch height for bed clearance, I don' think there is one. I have never seen 1 in almost 50 years of towing. One thing that may help, even if you have an 8ft. bed, is a slider mounted at the rearmost position to allow the pin to be over the axle normally, and then slid to the rear it will give slightly more clearance for the trailer to articulate on rough ground but I doubt that the difference would be much.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:34 PM
89f350xlt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done a lot of back country boon-docking and from experience I can tell you a fifth wheel is not the way to go. The first stream crossing or big dip in the road you are in trouble. 2 years ago when I got our first fifth wheel, I made a wrong turn with my 28 ' fifth wheel with the leafs flipped so i am lifted pretty good off the ground. (see my album 89f350xlt photos) I am at least 7 inches off the bed my Reese hitch is all the way up and my part that is attached to the the fifth wheel is adjusted to the last bolts so i'm at max height off the bed and ground. Any way we end up on this narrow curvy road which i could not back down or turn around. 4 miles and 3 hours later there was a mountain meadow which, after an hour of unhooking and hooking and jack knifing I managed to turn around. Going up hill was I thought was bad, going down hill was a night mare. Thank god for 4x4 on the way up a couple times the little stream crossings caused my the fifth wheel to raise the rear tires to come up enough to lose traction and the fronts had to do the work. Going down the first stream i was stuck. When my front was coming out the crossing the fifth wheel was hitting the bed of the truck. I had saw an abandon barn and was able to find enough old 2 by 6s to make kind of a bridge to put under the back tires to raise it so the fifth wheel didn't crush the bed, we had to make 4 of them and the wife had to keep leap frogging them every time we got to a crossing truck and trailer. We have been boon docking for almost 13 years now and always carry drills saws etc. you need to be prepared when boon docking. She was not a happy camper. Well 8 miles about 10 hrs of work we got back the road. LESSON LEARNED. 5th wheels like level ground. Hard to find camping spots to be alone and stay where it is easy to get to. We have been 20 miles out in nowhere to be alone but we Had a 14' pull behind that would go where our 4x4 would go. Just food for thought when your headed down those primitive roads with your 5th wheel even at max 6 or 7 inches of bed. We love or 5th wheel but miss the go anywhere with a smaller pull behind and those truly awesome all to your self spots.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:06 PM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I went with a PullRite 25K Ford factory mount. 4 hitch heights and my 5th wheel pin is at the highest set of holes.

OE Series Super 5th - For Ford Prep Kit | PullRite Hitches

Just another though to consider.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:04 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by HRTKD
I'm new to the forum, looking at a 2017 F-450 when they come out. I've pulled a few bumper-pull utility and ATV trailers but never a fifth wheel. I'm trying to get my ducks in a row for my future purchase. I'm sure there are plenty of issues that I don't know about.

Is the Ford factory fifth wheel setup in the bed worth it? I think what I'm talking about is just the mounting points, not the actual hitch itself. It looks like it's a clean setup.

I will be primitive camping in remote locations in Colorado and Wyoming where access is on less than ideal dirt roads. I saw on etrailer.com that a 6" clearance between the trailer and the bed is recommended. What do you do when 6" isn't enough clearance? Are there fifth wheel hitches that are easily/quickly height adjustable?

I saw one hitch on the etrailer site that had 4" of vertical adjustment but it requires four bolts to be removed. That doesn't sound like much fun in the field.
Welcome to FTE!

I'm familiar with the areas you are referring to.

Hate to break the news to you but a dually anything will be less than ideal for off-road anything without serious modifications. They are just way too long and wide to navigate draws and other obstructions. You will be high centered a lot and have limited traction in the mud before including the trailer. Any mods that you would need to do would work against towing your future fiver.

I have a 35' Fleetwood 5ver that I pull, and it is very limiting on where I can go even with my short 5ver.

I would strongly suggest a shorter bumper pull outfit and a srw outfit if you truly want to boondock.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Hey, I wanted to follow up and say thanks for the information. It was EXACTLY what I needed and confirmed my fear that a fifth wheel wasn't going to do well on poorly maintained roads. I've switched my plans to a conventional towing trailer. I'm looking at a Winnebago Spyder 28SC.