1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

97 7.3 Powerstroke Dies while Driving twice had to be towed

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:46 AM
WoodBoss
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 7.3 Powerstroke Dies while Driving twice had to be towed

I have searched this forum for a while and found some great information but I am still not sure about where to begin my troubleshooting. Below is what has happened.

This past Tuesday morning I am driving to work, the truck seemed to run fine for just about 10 minutes and then it felt like it had a miss and then it ran fine again for another 2 or 3 minutes, then it just died and I coasted to the side of the road. I cranked it over, it fired quick and died after that, then it didn't fire at all. I had just shy of a quarter tank of fuel so I thought maybe it ran out of fuel. I added 5 gallons of diesel fuel but it still would not fire up so I added another 5 gallons of fuel. Cranked it but it wouldn't fire. I took the fuel filter off the and had my Dad crank the truck and I could see fuel pumping into the bowl. I had a new fuel filter and o-ring so I installed them. I cranked the truck some more and it finally started. I let it run for a couple minutes and then headed off to work. The truck ran perfect after that. I made it about 15 minutes and it did the same thing, it just died and I coasted to the side of the road. I sat there for a couple minutes then cranked it, it fired quick and instantly died again. Waited a few minutes and cranked it some but it wouldn't fire. I had it flatbedded to a nearby Ford Dealership. They said they could diagnose it for $95 and should be able to get to it that afternoon. They finally got around to looking at it the next afternoon. I got a call and the service advisor said it started and ran fine. The mechanic let it idle for a long time and took it on a 20 mile ride. I asked the service advisor if they tried to pull codes and what they checked, she didn't know. The check engine light is not on and the OD light is not on or flashing either. I am a pretty descent mechanic but I am not familiar with diesels so I am trying to learn as fast as I can to do my own work. I did the oil cooler a couple weeks ago and that seemed to work out great, no more oil leak.

I deliver firewood with this truck and I really need to get it to be reliable.

I am going to get the truck today and have someone follow me home.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 AM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Buy a CPS from Ford or International. Not from a parts store. Not from a parts store.

Buy a 10mm socket, short (2" depending on the socket length) extension and ratchet to keep in your glovebox.

Swap out the CPS. All good? Buy another and swap it in. Now you have new one installed and a proven spare.

There are some troubleshooting lists on here that will ask if your Wait To Start light comes on, or if your tach moves a little while cranking, if you want to provide some additional insight.

Even if the CPS isn't your problem now, it will be eventually.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:34 AM
WoodBoss
Senior User
The plan was to pick up the truck today and while I am there go to the Ford parts counter to get a new CPS. They have three in stock and they are $27 each so not too bad of a price on those.

Also yes the wait to start does come on and go off as usual when I was cranking it. Not sure about the tachometer, when it happens again I will check that.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:46 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Classic symptom of CPS failing. As stated above purchase one from Ford or International only. It should be dark gray in color with a purple o-ring. I just replaced mine a month or so ago for similar symptoms you described. The old CPS was kind of hard to get out because it was in there for so many years. Lube the new CPS o-ring real good with something to make it easier to install. About a ten minute job first time around.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 AM
WoodBoss
Senior User
CPS

I just heard back from the Ford Dealer again this morning.

I had the Ford Dealer pull codes and they have codes from the CPS. I am letting them put a CPS in, part and labor is $110. I told them I want a new spare left in the truck so that is an extra $27. My starter is starting to crap out now too because of all the cranking, time for a new one of those as well. Hopefully this will be it for a while.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:13 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Ask them if you qualify for the recall on the CPS, it might be free. All they can say is no.

Old 10-01-2015, 12:06 PM
WoodBoss
Senior User
Good point Thanks

Old 10-01-2015, 08:40 PM
WoodBoss
Senior User
Originally Posted by Hussler
Ask them if you qualify for the recall on the CPS, it might be free. All they can say is no.
Thanks a Million Hussler, they checked the recall and the diagnostics and sensor with labor was free !!!! TRUCK SEEMS GOOD SO FAR.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:39 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Sweet. Warranty on a 18 year old truck is awesome lol