1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

48F1 master cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 09:48 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
48F1 master cylinder

I looked around quickly and typed in a search but didn't see what I was looking for so that I'd ask.

The OEM master cylinder on my 48f1 is dead/or dieing and was wondering if people were mostly just using a stock replacement or going to a more modern dual chamber master cylinder. btw I'm still using all the oem drum brakes and they're fine for my needs.

Any recommendations?

I live out in Calif .. SF bay area..and will probably buy something from the local Sacto Vintage Ford..most of their stuff has worked good for me.

But open to anything anywhere.

Appreciate any ideas.

Thx
Tom

Old 01-02-2015, 10:37 AM
sere0501
Senior User
I went with the full blown CPP power disc brake kit up front. It's a good amount of work, but well worth it in the long run I think. For me I was needing to replace all the old lines and my king pins anyway, so I just figured I'd tackle it all in one shot. I wish I still live near Sac now that I finally have my truck. There are a few great places for parts there. Good luck!

Old 01-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by sere0501
I went with the full blown CPP power disc brake kit up front. It's a good amount of work, but well worth it in the long run I think. For me I was needing to replace all the old lines and my king pins anyway, so I just figured I'd tackle it all in one shot. I wish I still live near Sac now that I finally have my truck. There are a few great places for parts there. Good luck!

Gorgeous..nice work.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:51 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 290 Likes on 168 Posts
I replaced mine with a stock single chamber that works just fine for me. Certainly, others may prefer a dual chamber solution.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:17 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i got a mustang ('67?) dual master for an all drum system from napa. bought an adapter kit for mounting it, some obv revisions of the brake lines. back in business.

Old 01-02-2015, 06:53 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
When I replaced the brake system on the 64, researching 50 year old tech, the graybeards in some of the discussion forums pointed out that a dual master cylinder is both A.The only way to go, and B. Very often installed incorrectly.

Something to do with obtaining full stroke length of the brake rod on the cylinder - the gist of it was, if it's setup incorrectly the brake system during a hose, line, or single wheel cylinder failure would then fail on all four corners, same as a single pot!

What I'm getting at, if you go to the trouble of upgrading the M/C and reroute brake lines, make sure the damn thing actually works as advertised. You might be surprised, and not in a good way. Another issue if you're running a drum/drum system, then you want a dual master for a drum/drum system, not the later type used for disc/drum setups.

Old 01-02-2015, 08:57 PM
Skalywag
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my master cylinder (single) from napa. Perfect fit, and it stops all the power my 226 puts out. A 60 year old guys single cylinder mc goes out, he takes control of the situation, uses the emergency brake and muddles it on home. A 20 yr. old in the same situation, runs off the road, hits a fence post, calls 911 and blames the manufacturer for not having a dual cylinder mc. Go figger.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:21 PM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by Skalywag
Bought my master cylinder (single) from napa. Perfect fit, and it stops all the power my 226 puts out. A 60 year old guys single cylinder mc goes out, he takes control of the situation, uses the emergency brake and muddles it on home. A 20 yr. old in the same situation, runs off the road, hits a fence post, calls 911 and blames the manufacturer for not having a dual cylinder mc. Go figger.
Funny I was 9 miles from home when my brake pedal started the ultimate spongy with the pedal going to the floor. I did pretty much exactly as you say. I'd had some little warnings on previous outings..so I wasn't totally surprised..I'm still thinking maybe the master cylinder is OK and I ran it low on fluid and now the existing MC just needs to be bench bled etc.

I bought a new mc at NAPA ..not exactly the same but similar to the OEM version.. but I'm gonna see if i can first bench bleed the existing MC in the truck as is..and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:37 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Brake drums work OK, but a couple differences from then they routinely used to arc the brake shoes to the drum and this esp. helps with the older of the old style drum brakes, the non "self energized" type. Not sure if '48 brakes are that old.

A drum that has been turned quite a bit, standard new shoes will not fit as well, they would sell relined, thicker shoes to fit better, arc grind them, etc. Nobody does any of this kind of thing anymore hardly.

Everybody today thinks drum brakes suck, because they've only ever driven rigs with failing, misadjusted, worn out junk. Even a good drum brake system with new components, will fade after repeated panic stops, but how many panic stops in a row do you plan on making? The one thing that might matter is you mention you live in California. If the traffic is really heavy then a 4 drum system might not be the best choice, stop and go would get them hot and fade would be an issue. Remember, back in the day, everyone else had drum brakes and it sort of evened out, people kept their distance. Today, you leave a couple car length distance for safety and some moron will cut you off and stop on a dime right in front of you. See where I'm goin' with that?