putting in bottom weatherstrip seal - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

putting in bottom weatherstrip seal

Old 11-03-2014, 03:08 PM
epp
Senior User
epp is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
putting in bottom weatherstrip seal

ok guys, i have poked, pried and made every face i know and threw enough curse words to make a sailor blush at these stupid bottom door seals on the 50, someone explain the trick to getting them in to the track! These door seals have kicked my butt and i am not ashamed to admit it

Old 11-03-2014, 03:12 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Look at Firstrider's pic here; is yours like that, or only as wide as the track it goes into?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14336429

They suck for sure, took me an hour per side with the narrow ones, pushing it in a little bit at a time. And come to find out it doesn't even contact the door...

Old 11-03-2014, 03:18 PM
epp
Senior User
yep mine are like firstriders and i hates them

Old 11-03-2014, 09:41 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
bobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant futurebobbytnm has a brilliant future
I've tried slipping them in from the ends, and putting one edge completely in and trying to work the other lip in place. Both methods suck.
I thought it might be because I was installing some old hard seals (Ross's old ones) in my truck. I thought new seals might go in easier but I guess I'm wrong.
I used lots of silicon spray but it still took more patience than I had on hand

Good luck
Bobby

Old 11-03-2014, 10:47 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
underthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputationunderthebridgejim has a superb reputation
Once I got the track cleaned out, and pried up any flat spots, I got new one's to slide in using silicone spray. It has been awhile, but If I remember correctly I got the bottom edge in, then worked the top edge in by sliding a plastic putty knife along the top edge.(kinda like putting in glass) Its one of those walk away if you need to jobs, good luck.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:47 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
A real PIA for sure. I fought mine a long while. Even though my originals were in good conditioned, I purchased new channels but never did install them. The new seals would fit into the new channels easily. I cleaned all the old paint from the grooves of the original channels and was able to get the seals in using a rubber lubricant. I cut and glued some strips of pipe insulation under the flap of the new seals to push them out to where they touch the doors and make an actual seal.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 PM
epp
Senior User
good tip on pushing them out to seal Ray..Thanks..If i ever get the dumb things in, I will try that