1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Security Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts
Old 06-19-2014, 09:58 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
So, I hear the noise in my locked garage. I go out and find the culprits stealing my vehicle or tools or whatever else isn't theirs. I tell them to stop and get on the ground. They pull their gun. I shoot them. Or maybe they're a better shot and shoot me. I'm either hurt or dead, or they're hurt or dead. Self defense on my part either way. I may be going to the hospital or the morgue, but no SOB is going to take my stuff and get away scott free. Or maybe no shots are fired because they're scared off and run away. Either way, I don't think they'll be back.

That's not why I have insurance, but it is one reason I have weapons. Too many in today's society think they can take what they want without fear of retribution. I don't happen to be one who believes that.

My Daddy taught me there's only one thing worse than a liar, and that's a thief. And now they're both covered by politicians.

I think my dissertation is complete. Sorry if my opinion disturbs you. No, not really.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:24 PM
BradsF1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Larry, I totally agree with everything you typed. No piece of iron is worth killing for or being killed. Now if I happen to stumble on someone messing with my stuff I probably would confront him or them. I'd have to make a quick assessment of situation and figure out whether it would be more prudent to run away or stay. I'm no hero and I'm not going to get killed over a stupid piece of metal. On the other hand if I heard someone coming up my stairs in the middle of the night and knew it was someone who wasn't suppose to be there I will assure you either that person or I am going to be leaving the house feet first. I will go the distance to protect my family members.

There is a lot of discussion about this subject on the HAMB. Every time there are numerous yahoos who say they'd play John Wayne and walk out in the middle of the night with their 12 gauge or 9mm. My reply is what happens if there are two or more people out there each with a shot gun or 9mm? Also, think of it this way; whoever is out there stealing your stuff is the bottom of the food chain bottom feeder with nothing to loose. You on the other hand probably have a family, a house and a good job and a little savings. He has nothing to loose, you have a lot. Even if you're proven to be in the right you will still face financial and time losses. While you are facing off you're thinking about your family and life and the consequences of your actions. This may only take you a half a second to think about before you pull the trigger, the loser on the other hand won't care and will have pulled his trigger while you're thinking.

Color me John Wayne. Everyone's background and experience level is different. Odds are if they are stealing one of my rides they are in my garage. The garage is attached to my house. I live way out in the boonies. If I dial 911, I would be lucky to get a 20 minute response time.

You mileage may vary

Brad

Old 06-20-2014, 10:58 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to offend anyone, all I'm saying is there is a lot to risk to go out and start shooting at people. In an ideal world you should be able to protect your family and property in the best way possible. But we don't live in an ideal world and it's getting worse. The crooks are the ones who seem to get all the legal protection and some even get elected to public office.

I all for guns for self protection by law abiding citizen, we all know most of the crooks have them. I just don't see myself killing someone over a piece of metal. I honestly wouldn't have a problem with doing it but I know there will be consequences for my actions and I don't think it would be worth it. As I stated before, all holds are lifted if someone is in my house. I live out in the country and if someone was to break into my house I'd do whatever it would take and neutralize the person(s). If they were the only causalities of the situation they would get a ride further out in the country and be dumped in a field somewhere, the law would not be involved.

I'm not a gun person myself, they scare the hell out of me but if someone else feels comfortable having them and they can legally own one more power to you and I hope you're around me if there is a situation one is needed. I was talking with a group of people, who many lived in counties that spanned hundreds of square miles with only a small county sheriff's department as their legal protection, and as Brad stated, could take over an hour to respond. Everyone of these people had guns for self protection and I agreed with every one of them. I live in a rural area but our small police force is very responsive, the many times I've had to call them they were at the farm within 5-10 minutes. There are a range of situations, I understand that. All I was saying is the scum out there has nothing to lose but you do. You can talk about blowing someone's head off but I really think if most of you were faced with this situation I think you would hesitate for a second to assess the situation. "It's dark out there, who is really out there?", "I see it's Timmy from down the street who stealing my trailer, I really can't shoot him because he played with my kids." You don't know that he's got hooked on meth and is desperate and half out of his mind and has a gun and will shoot you without hesitation. You'll think about this stuff while the scumbag has been planning this all out for the last day and is prepared to shoot it out.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Life is full of unintended consequences...we see what happens when criminals know that business owners are being told not to protect themselves or their property, the rationale is "your life is worth more than your property". Now we are seeing tens of thousands of Central American women and children flooding into our country to take advantage of our "Dream Act". Our schools are so far over the top with the bullying issue that they take disciplinary action against a kid who finally stands up to a bully.

For me, my time and skills went into buying/building/shaping the things in my little world. Someone who steals that from me is not only taking the physical property, he is stealing my intellectual capital and my time. That makes it personal.

This country has had so much "political correctness" shoved down our collective gullet that we almost feel that we need to apologize for raising the BS flag. To keep this a bit more on topic for the OP...anyone who has seen the first "Robocop" movie knows what a REAL theft deterent system looks like! If we had more of these in out vehicles the crime rate would drop like a rock.