1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Security Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 10:41 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security Systems

We are planning a few overnight events this fall in the big city. We want to drive the truck and not put it in the enclosed trailer. Other than sleeping in the truck with my Glock what security system have you installed? I would like to go out to the truck in the morning and have it still there and in one piece. I have already installed a master keyed switch to cut all power with a bypass for computer memory.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:06 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
What's exact situation, parking it in a hotel lot? On the street (gasp)?

The Club can't hurt, fast and cheap. Obvious to a would-be thief. Some kind of tracking device?

If you go with an alarm, I'd stick to Viper. Cheap alarms are a total PITA. All of them involve a LOT of wiring if you use all the features. I had a Viper with paging feature, it would alert on the remote if any of the zones were tripped, as long as you were within a 1/4 mile or less.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:14 AM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Ross, Primarily in a hotel lot, the club would be a good idea.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Best is a long hardened link chain or heavy hardened steel cable. Thread thru both wheels and over the front crossmember, lock with a round masterlock.
If I was serious about an electronic setup I'd want one with a motion sensor as well as lojack and/or direct to remote page and with a separate battery backup. In a big city they just pull up with a tow truck and lift the front wheels, so by locking both wheels on one side they can't use that method or steal the 4 wheels. They don't enter the vehicle so a system that relies on a power surge (interior lights or ignition) doesn't work (hence the motion sensor to detect jacking. The chain or cable is also very easily spotted so is a deterrent. Enclosed trailers are not as good a security as you might thing I know several racers that have had their trailer and/or their entire rig stolen with the car inside while parked overnite or outside a truck stop or restaurant. Even easier than stealing the car alone. Most enclosed trailers look pretty much alike and are commonly seen going down the road. If you are real paranoid consider lojack. fact is it is almost impossible to stop a determine and experienced thief, best you can do is to make yourself as unattractive a target as possible (chain, cable, don't tuck or hide it), so they pass you up for easier pickings. I'd bet your cutoff switch can be found and defeated in less than 1 minute.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:24 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
I like the alarms with proximity sensor and verbal warning (ampified voice chip): "WARNING! You have activated the vehicle alarm first stage, back away from the vehicle. Do not approach any closer or touch the vehicle or the full alarm will be activated and authorities notified."
If you use a pager notification type system be sure you know the exact location you are at and are carrying... Not gonna help to call the police: " ...it's parked in a big lot next to a motel, I think it's a holiday inn, on a major street." Or to approach 3 or 4 thugs while armed with just a cell phone.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:42 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
At a motel, I'd ask to park right next to the entrance and slip the bellboy or concierge a ten-spot to keep an eye on it. If you are talking a "downtown hotel" in a big city, with an underground lot and valet parking, strike a deal to put it where they have cameras and lots of pedestrian traffic (entrance/exit to lot from hotel).

I assume your insurance is up-to-date as far as value?

Old 06-18-2014, 11:50 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
I'm not sure which big city you mean (Phoenix?) but I hope that you have a good reason to want to take it there. Remember the joke devices that you could buy in some auto parts stores that you wired up to a spark plug and it would go off with a big bang and lots of smoke when someone tried to start the engine? That would be fun but these days you might get arrested as being a terrorist.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:25 PM
ChuckRob
Elder User
Originally Posted by petemcl
I'm not sure which big city you mean (Phoenix?) but I hope that you have a good reason to want to take it there. )
Yes Phoenix, I know most of the tourist traffic comes up from Mexico I just don't want the truck to end up in Mexico. Goodguys in Scotsdale is always a good reason.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:42 PM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by ChuckRob
Yes Phoenix, I know most of the tourist traffic comes up from Mexico I just don't want the truck to end up in Mexico. Goodguys in Scotsdale is always a good reason.
Yours would not be the first special vehicle to be kept in a Hotel lot in Phoenix. I see that the Arizona Concours d'Elegance is scheduled to be held at the Biltmore.
http://www.arizonaconcours.com/arizona-biltmore/

Many of these cars are Million dollar cars but most are not. And not everyone at $239/night can afford to stay at the Biltmore so you might want to check with surrounding Hotels and see if they have a special garage or secure parking area. If they want the Concours business they have to have some arrangement. These Concours folks don't fool around.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
I strategically placed one of these on my truck. It may not keep them from stealing it but it just might delay them long enough for me to A) get my hands around their throat or B) get my gun.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
At one of the big CA shows last year they had a chain-linked, lighted paddock with 24-hr security guards, yet someone managed to steal two or three cars out in one night. Nothing is 100%. Big shows attract the professional thieves.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
At one of the big CA shows last year they had a chain-linked, lighted paddock with 24-hr security guards, yet someone managed to steal two or three cars out in one night. Nothing is 100%. Big shows attract the professional thieves.
Hm, Joe Friday would focus his investigation on the security guards I'm thinkin', and have it wrapped up in a half hour. Man I'd be torqued if that happened.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:23 PM
Okiedokie
Fleet Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have used the remote battery kill switches that Hotronics sells. It has been knocked off by others now, but I still buy from Hotronics. Hide the remote toggle anywhere under the dash and the kill switch can be hidden around the battery. I also have toggles to shut off fuel [mine are all electric fuel pumps] hidden. I have driven my F100 and my 40 coupe to many events [in fact every car I have owned] and parked in motel lots all over the place. Never lost one yet, but all are insured just in case I do. If you can't rest at night without worrying about your car, then what fun is that. Yes I would hate to lose my 53 F100 or my 40 coupe that I have touched every nut and bolt on, but if I can't drive em, why have em?

Old 06-18-2014, 10:38 PM
mike85120
Junior User
Chuck rob...I bought a wired alarm from LMC.....decided against installing it. I ended up buying the good old "club". The way I figured it, the typical car thief probably will not steal it because they won't mess with the club. The professional car thief....well....I am not going to stop him anyway.
By the way, I did call Hagerty and upped my insurance just in case.
I agree wholeheartedly with what has been previously said, I drive my truck...otherwise why have it? I have even hauled some things in the bed

Mike

BTW....I still need to get up your way.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:52 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
problem with the cutoffs is that experienced thieves expect them on hot rods and owner built cars, so if they don't just tow it away they will immediately sweep all the usual "hiding" places under the dash and around/under the seat. They know the likely location is going to be within easy access by the driver. Putting it under the dash is like "hiding" your spare house key on top the door trim, under the welcome mat, or in one of the fake rocks alongside the door. Might as well leave it sticking out of the lock! I would look for an unusual or disguised location, i.e. behind the ashtray, or disguised as a dashboard switch, a volume **** on a dummy radio face, or heater fan switch with a matching **** complete with label or symbol. You can use a light duty switch to trip a remote heavy duty latching relay or to ground the hot lead to the coil or points to prevent starting.

Quick Reply: Security Systems