1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Wiring for driver's side front turn signal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wiring for driver's side front turn signal?

Hi all,

I have a '00 Excursion & was cleaning up some hack job wiring from the previous owner (removing Truspeed & reconnecting VSS wire under battery tray, removing aftermarket fog lights, etc.) & after pulling out a bunch of old wiring, it seems I may have been over enthusiastic & pulled one wire too many. :gulp:

Coming out of the driver's side front turn signal connector (amber area in corner of L piece, with what looks like a silver backing plate in the pic below) are 3 wires; 2 brown & 1 white. The brown wires disappear into the wiring harness, but the white wire is just loose/disconnected & doesn't go anywhere. I don't see any other loose wire or white wire to connect it to. Where is it supposed to be connected to? Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the driver's side front turn signal that shows wire colors & where they're supposed to be connected?

I also have a general question about the whole L piece lens & connectors.

It looks like there are only 2 connectors, so is the top 'ear' just a dummy piece, just for cosmetics, with no actual function. I assume the one in the corner of the 'L' is for the turn signal? What's the other one in the middle on the black part of the housing for? Running lights? Parking lights?

Also, any tips for pulling the whole L-piece assembly? From the front, I can see 2 Philips screws under the L-piece, but the bumper is in the way, so I can't get a straight shot at those Philips screws to allow me to get a Philips screwdriver onto those screws.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:22 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The pointy part of the ell is just a reflector. The bulb that goes in the silver part in the picture is the corner marker lamp, and the one in the black part is the park/turn lamp. I don't think I have a wiring diagram for that, but I'll take a look and post it if I do.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:47 PM
mueckster
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Here is a wiring diagram. It doesn't show any white wires at the park/turn signal lamps.
Name:  Exterior Lamps, Fornt.jpg
Views: 9778
Size:  54.7 KB

Old 05-02-2014, 12:26 AM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
It's from the corner of the L (the part that looks like it has a silver backing plate in the pic) that the 3 wires (2 brown & 1 white) are protruding from. So, from the description above, it sounds like that's the corner marker lamp, rather than the turn signal lamp?

Does it make sense / why would the corner lamp have/need 3 wires?

P.S. Thanks for all the replies & info so far.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:33 PM
xbox73
Mountain Pass
Problem solved.

I finally got the L-shaped light loose enough to unplug the corner lamp & I found the extraneous white wire was just tapped into one of the two brown wires. Maybe intended for use by previous owner as trigger wire to aftermarket fog light harness, so fog lights go off too when no other lights are on? Anyway, not needed anymore for what I have / am planning, so now removed.

P.S. For future reference, how is one supposed to fully remove the L-shaped housing? I could remove the 2 Philips screws below the housing after buying a 12" long bit driver extension (and loosening the aftermarket filler panel between the body & the stock front bumper that's pushed forward to accommodate a Warn hidden winch setup). But I couldn't see how to remove the 3rd bolt (shown in the pic above on the back of reflector ear). I had the whole battery tray etc. out & still couldn't get to it, as it appears it's inside the space between the fender & the engine bay panel. Is one supposed to remove the whole fender liner just to get to this bolt?

Thanks to all who replied earlier.