Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Loose Parking Brake Cable along frame rail

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 PM
santacruzf250
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Parking Brake Cable along frame rail

Hi Fellas, my parking brakes haven't been working well for a while. I was looking everything over today and I see that the portion of the brake cable along the frame rail has some droop in it. It needs to loose about 3/4" to gain tension again.

I went down to the parking brake lever on the rear end and both sides still feel pretty springy, giving me the impression that nothing is broken internally on the show assembly. Sound right?

I'd like to avoid pulling the whole rear end apart to inspect the internals and I thought I'd start here.

I know I can adjust the parking shoes by using the adjuster but 3/4" seems like a lot to be compensated for through the adjusters, no? I'm trying to figure out how I gained this much slack in the parking brake assembly. Any ideas?

Just to give a little history, I broke the upper cable about a year ago. The cable stopper broke right off the end of the cable at the pedal. I replaced that cable and all was well for about six months. Now the pedal goes to the floor (2/3 before) and it doesn't hold. The cable does get tighter but it's obviously not grabbing at the moment.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:21 AM
mahause
Senior User
I have the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Old 04-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
You know there is a recall on that cable for the 6 speed. I have the auto and they made me pay. If it was the 6 speed it is covered. Figure that.

Chet

Old 04-07-2012, 01:47 AM
mahause
Senior User
I called the dealership today and they said it didn't apply to my truck. I have removed the pedal assembly and it looks good. The only thing I see wrong is the loose cable on the fram rail.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:50 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
WET BLANKET ALERT!

Sorry, but I bear bad news. The cable is fine - it's suppose to be that way. The problem is very likely the rusted lever on the end of the cable (photo - top right). I could not exercise the lever even after I had it on the bench - it took a mallet and a vice to get it to move. It's a bugger how much carp you have to remove to get to it, but it's a train wreck to re-install. It's a good idea to inspect your brakes and grease your slide pins. When you inspect, the most common failure is siezed slide pins on the calipers and the symptom is obviously-excessive wear on the inside of the rotor.

I have auto, so I didn't realize my park break was bad until after a separate brake issue flared up (literally).

Old 04-07-2012, 09:04 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
The cables do stretch a little bit over time. Not right but I have tied a knot in the cables before to take out some slack, I've done it to a few of our trucks and haven't broken a cable yet because of the knot.

But I agree with the others, check over everything else before trying to take cable slack out.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
mahause
Senior User
When I put the parking brake pedal to the floor about 1" of cable gets pulled from each side the Y connection on the frame rail. So it appears everything the parking brake assembly is working correctly. I guess the next step is to pull the rear wheels and inspect the brakes. Removing the parking brake assemly is a PIA with the clutch pedal in the way. I thought that was going to be where the problem was.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
It will likely look similar to this. The offending part is right on top, between the shoes.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:59 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Have same issue. I replaced the front part/peadl cable, last year, but still takes the pedal to the floor to "set" any brake. With boat trailer at ramp, with the angle, theres enough weight pulling truck to allow it to slip backwards. No "slop" at cables though...and cant see anywhere to adjust...calipers at rear.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:20 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Before you do anything first try to adjust the e-brakes.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:21 PM
mahause
Senior User
I think I need to replace the long cable that runs from the Y to the front. I adjusted the brakes as instructed. I can apply both rear brakes with the adjusters.When I put the parking brake pedal to the floor it doesn't quie pull far enough. If I pull on the cable from below another inch the brakes get applied.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:05 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by mahause
I think I need to replace the long cable that runs from the Y to the front. I adjusted the brakes as instructed. I can apply both rear brakes with the adjusters.When I put the parking brake pedal to the floor it doesn't quie pull far enough. If I pull on the cable from below another inch the brakes get applied.
Try Snowseeker's knot in the cable trick. Pretty clever I thought.

Originally Posted by Snowseeker
The cables do stretch a little bit over time. Not right but I have tied a knot in the cables before to take out some slack, I've done it to a few of our trucks and haven't broken a cable yet because of the knot.

But I agree with the others, check over everything else before trying to take cable slack out.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:47 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
Have same issue. I replaced the front part/peadl cable, last year, but still takes the pedal to the floor to "set" any brake. With boat trailer at ramp, with the angle, theres enough weight pulling truck to allow it to slip backwards. No "slop" at cables though...and cant see anywhere to adjust...calipers at rear.
There are two sets of brakes in the rear: Drums/shoes for the parking brake, and rotors/calipers/pads for the working brakes. The star wheel behind that rubber grommet in the picture above will spin and spread the shoes to allow them to grab earlier.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 PM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Here's a good pic of e-brake assembly by camodown.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Our e-brakes suck on these trucks period. I have the oppsite problem. My cable is up top on the pedal. I adjusted them as posted, use to do brakes, but they still don't hold great. I put all new factory parts in as well. I need slack in mine.

Chet

Quick Reply: Loose Parking Brake Cable along frame rail