1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Tail/Turn Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 02:30 PM
pntrbl
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Tail/Turn Wiring

I'm doing some rewiring on the back of my 65 F250. Had a buncha RV related wiring I don't need and then there was that little fire we had when I cut the old hitch off!

Everything's good past the back axle tho. 2 connectors there, both the non-reversible 2 prong type. Both connectors have a brown wire which turns out to be the taillights. Makes sense.

One connector has a yellow on the 2nd non-brown prong and my testlight says that's the left turn. OK. And would ya believe it, the pigtail has on the left tailight has a yellow wire too.

Seems simple enough so I get to work with the solder and shrink tubing.

The problem is when I get done the filaments seem to be reversed. The bright one lights up for the tails and ya can't hardly see the dim one when the turn signal comes thru. It's so unnoticable I thought at first it wasn't working but it's there.

I've double checked everything 4 times, it's just 2 wires. Can't plug the connectors in backwards. Tried another 1157 bulb just in case. At this point in time it makes no sense at all.

Did Ford possibly intend it this way?

Old 09-25-2005, 08:21 PM
ZombieSlayer
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the front turn signals work? I've posted a link to a scanned copy of the turn signal/ext lighting diagram for you to refer to. Just copy~n~paste the url

http://www.thunder65.com/thunder65/images/turnsig.jpg

Old 09-25-2005, 09:45 PM
pntrbl
Senior User
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Well thanx for the info but I got it figgered out. Some bad on me but I'm not gonna take all the blame on this one!

When I plugged the connectors together back there I assumed, call that the bad on me, that yellow in would be yellow out. Not so you half baked Mongolian idiot of a mother's son. It gets reversed at the connector for some reason.

Yellow in becomes brown out and it even repeats on the right side with green in brown out. There's a possibility the connectors could be offa different year truck but even that doesn't make sense. Why would you want both the left and right turns to be the same brown color on any truck?

I dunno. Whenever I engineer some wiring I make the entire circuit the same color so I'm gonna hand a little blame for this one to Ford. LOL!

All's good tho. It's back on the road. Thanx again.