1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Need some ideas guys

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Need some ideas guys

This concerns the support spring that is in the lower radiator hose. This is on one of my 65' F-100s. It is an FE motor. The lower hose is a formed hose. It has the flexible spring that came with the hose.
Here is the problem.
I rebuilt the motor 20 years ago. It only has about 6000 miles on the motor. I haven't had this motor running for quite a while, so I decided to flush the coolant system. When I looked down into the top of the radiator, I saw chunks of rust setting on top of the holes. I remove the radiator and took it down to my local radiator shop. Since there was no large amount of running time on this radiator, there was no actual crud buildup in it, only these small metal particles setting in the top of the holes. My radiator guy was able to use a high-pressure hose, and back flush the system while dangling a magnet inside the exit hole. He stuck a little camera in there showing me they were all clear.
Now here is my dilemma. He said the metal particles were from the lower hose spring decomposing. He then asked me why I run the spring in the hose. That kind of threw me. I have always run a support spring in a lower radiator hose so what will not collapse when the motor is running high RPMs. Now this is a young guy so I must take his statement into consideration, BUT, I still find it funny he would say to not use the spring. He said "they don't use the spring these days"... Has anybody heard of this. I know this hose is 20 years old because I put it there when I rebuilt the motor. The hose is in perfect shape with no wear on it. It still has resilient rubber.
Now I know the hose collapses on high RPM, because you can stand there and watch it as you the motor reaves up. Granted, this is a 428 motor out of a super marauder and it has the heavy-duty water pump. Still, I have seen the lower radiator hoses collapse on other motors when he RPM was raised. I did not stand here and argue with the young lad, instead I paid for having him blow out the radiator for me and went home.

Here is my idea, I AM going to use a spring in my lower hose because that's the way I've always done it. Unless somebody can convince me otherwise that maybe the rubber on the new formed hoses these days are thicker and will not collapse, I need to use a spring. What has anybody heard about this.
Another question. I'm thinking about finding someone who will make me a stainless steel spring or is there a place I can buy them. Stainless steel must stand up pretty well in this application but I don't know if anyone makes it. The spring diameter on the lower hose is one and three-quarter diameter by 12 inches long, with a 1/8 inch steel used to make the spring.

Does anyone know where I can get a stainless steel spring if they are indeed made, or have any idea what can be used. Note: I will not use one of those universal hoses that have the metal spring embedded between two layers of rubber. Cheap looking and looks nothing like what came from the factory.

Thanks for any ideas you guys come up with.

Old 04-05-2014, 05:35 PM
norfolknova
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The hose is 20 years old, time to replace it anyway even though it "seems" good still. Radiator hoses are cheap, that is what I would do. Technology has changed in the last 20 years, hoses are made from different rubber copmpunds. Most new cars do not use a spring in the lower hose. Go to the Auto store and order a lower hose and see if it comes with the spring still.

Matt

Old 04-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
You could make one easier/quicker than find one? Maybe use brass stock of the right diameter and bend it around a form. The new Gates hose didn't have a spring installed for my 292. So swapped back in the old one. The heater hoses may have been original, but the radiator hoses were 15 years old and swapped everything out. They "seemed" OK too, but it ain't worth the risk. Use new clamps too!!

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 PM
airharley
Postmaster
The spring prevents the hose from collapsing as the pump can suck the hose shut. I know it is a major pain at times but if you take out the spring chances are you'll overheat and not see a reason for it.

After I replaced my water pump, with better technology, it sucked my old spring out of the hose and collapsed it.

Old 04-06-2014, 02:04 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Yes the hose is old but that's not my need. The hose is fine. I have checked 5 places and they 'do not' supply the springs with the lower hose anymore. I have contacted a few friends that are heavy into racing and they all say the same thing - no more springs with the new hoses. AND, they also said, if anything, the rubber (material) has gotten worse, not better.

Yes I know the lower hose collapses with these motors, thus the reason I'm looking to replace the spring. With the HD pump, its even worse.

SO, this is what I have found so far. I did contact a friend of mine here is town. He owns a metal fabrication business. He believes he can get these springs I need from a supplier (stainless steal). He knows exactly what I'm talking about because he had the same problem on his circle track car a couple years back. He said bending one from normal steal is not a problem but stainless is a different animal.

I should know by Tues. if his supplier can help with the SS spring and will post. I have also found a couple sites that sell the SS spring for this purpose. They only offer 1 5/8ths. I need 1 3/4". I will do a little more checking and post.

If anyone knows a supplier for a SS spring of 1 3/4", please post.

Old 04-06-2014, 03:03 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
LOWER RADIATOR HOSE SPRING-STAINLESS STEEL SMALL BLOCK

A friend of mine that retired from racing sent me this. I will call Monday to see what other sizes the have. Even if I have to make due with the 1 5/8th, its better than nothing. Should know by Tues anyway.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:00 AM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm not sure anyone can acurately answer your question, new rubber may or may not be better, there is also the possibility that new technoligy doesn't require the water pump to suck as well as the old technoligy. If it were mine I would stick with the spring.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:31 AM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Well, if you are running an FE motor, I would advise using one but that's just me and years of building and running big motors. If the hose gets up to operating temps and you put some power (RPMs) to that motor, I'll bet that hose will collapse with out the spring. BUT, JMO.

And for your entertainment,,, a short film showing the hose collapsing. Its not a ford but it is what it is. Watch the hose... ;o)

440dyno.wmv - YouTube

Old 04-07-2014, 10:36 AM
66f-100
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Summit racing sells the springs too

Old 04-07-2014, 05:03 PM
The Masked Rider
Posting Guru
Thanks Mark. I checked and found none. It kept coming up '0 found'.
Do you have the direct link to it...? I'd sure thank ya.....

Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 PM
66f-100
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It appears that they no longer carry them. I did see them in their catalog at one time.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:15 PM
airharley
Postmaster
I found some on ebay that may be something you are looking for. Or you can go over to mustangs unlimited Mustangs Unlimited - The Premier Source for Mustang, Shelby and Cougar Parts and Accessories

Old 04-13-2014, 02:45 PM
700buck65F100
Freshman User
I got a new lower radiator hose about 2 or 3 months ago for my 352 and I'm 80% sure it came with the support spring in it. Barely fits too lengthwise. I'll check the part number on it later for you.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:34 PM
700buck65F100
Freshman User