Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 wont start/ any input please

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:45 AM
MedicineMan84
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3 wont start/ any input please

Ok so I went to start my truck this morning 2002 f250 7.3 4x4 and it wouldn't start, just cranked and kinda wanted to start for a sec then just cranked but wasnt even close to starting. It had sat for about a week. Let it be known that I have done so much crap to this truck and I'm really getting tired of working on this thing. I have done ball joints, steering linkage, starter, Turbo rebuild, glow plugs, glow plug relay, injector o rings and bellowed up pipies. I have a hunch its a fuel issue, I was thinking about doing the hutch mod and maybe the screens are plugged up in the tank.. I don't know. Thinking about getting it going again and selling, I have had around twenty rigs and never had as many problems as this powerstroke has given me. So tired of cranking wrenches on this rig its all I have done since I got it. Has 179k on it. Probably the cleanest crew cab long bed black 02 lariat ive seen, six speed too. Just getting really tired seams like one thing after another. Oh yeah no check engine light either and fuel filter on the top of the motor is new. This thing started and ran great the other day. Anyway there it is.. any input would be helpful. ( update ) it wouldn't start this morning around 38 degrees Fahrenheit, I plugged it in to the block heater for a half day and It fired right up tonight. WTF would cause that. It should easily start without a block heater at 38 degrees thats not that cold. When i tried to start it this morning I cranked it for five to seven seconds three times with no start. When it started tonight after it had the block heater plugged in for several hours it took maybe two seconds of cranking before it started. I'm at a loss here.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:09 AM
bielaf
Senior User
Im sure there are going to be alot of questions coming your way and some of them are going to the basic ones of when was your last oil change, have you tested your glow plug relay (i just replaced mine along with all 8 glow plugs my truck was just as bay if not a little worse and my starting is little bit better each day the best 150 spent) and where abouts do you live cause there may be another member that lives close by that can lend a helping hand i know the frustrations of having a truck that wont start. If you can think of any other information that may be helpful in further diagnosing your problem dont be afraid to post it

Old 12-29-2013, 04:12 AM
bielaf
Senior User
Tried to edit and i forgot to reread your post please ignore the glow plug portion

Old 12-29-2013, 07:59 AM
78fordman
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do you have a way to see the RPM while cranking? I think 150 is the answer but need to see what the ECM sees. Make sure 150 while cranking, check EOT and ECT to see they match as that will effect glow plug cycle time if the EOT is off. Check ICP while cranking, again a weak HPOP and slow cranking could play into this.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The last link in my signature has a lot of help for no/hard starts. Clicking there will give you plenty to check.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:17 AM
stinson 108-1
stinson 108-1
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Try jumping the two large terminals on the glow plug relay with a large screw driver or plyers. The one towards the fire wall is the one you want. Give it at least a 30 second count and try to start. Relay is a common maintenance item and no big deal.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:38 AM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds pretty typical of a glow plug system not working. If you find the relay is not working you should also check to make sure the pcm is sending the ground signal to activate the relay.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:35 AM
t.scottNDU
Senior User
Have you checked voltage output on the batteries/alternator? I know it sounds weird, but last winter I had the same thing happening with our Ex- no start unless plugged in under 50 degrees, batteries acted weak/dead. Plugged in it would usually fire right up. One day I lost all electronics while driving. Put a new alternator on and all was solved.
These trucks have very good track records. I'm confident that you're close to having a very well running and sought after Powerstroke... Anyway, let me know if you want to get rid of it, that thing is right up my alley...

Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM
MedicineMan84
New User
Originally Posted by bielaf
Im sure there are going to be alot of questions coming your way and some of them are going to the basic ones of when was your last oil change, have you tested your glow plug relay (i just replaced mine along with all 8 glow plugs my truck was just as bay if not a little worse and my starting is little bit better each day the best 150 spent) and where abouts do you live cause there may be another member that lives close by that can lend a helping hand i know the frustrations of having a truck that wont start. If you can think of any other information that may be helpful in further diagnosing your problem dont be afraid to post it
Last oil change was around one thousand miles ago, rotella synthetic. The glow plug relay is about three months old but I will test it anyway to rule it out. Thanks for all the input guys! I live in Eugene Oregon.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 PM
MedicineMan84
New User
Originally Posted by 78fordman
Do you have a way to see the RPM while cranking? I think 150 is the answer but need to see what the ECM sees. Make sure 150 while cranking, check EOT and ECT to see they match as that will effect glow plug cycle time if the EOT is off. Check ICP while cranking, again a weak HPOP and slow cranking could play into this.
I have an edge cts monitor that should give me accurate rpms while cranking, Ill check that and post ASAP. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, what is ECT and EOT ? I will check ICP while cranking soon, last time I looked at ICP it was around 500psi give or take 50psi when the engine was nice and warm and got it up to I think 2400 psi at around 3/4 throttle. Thanks for the input!

Old 12-29-2013, 12:38 PM
MedicineMan84
New User
Originally Posted by tdpower
Sounds pretty typical of a glow plug system not working. If you find the relay is not working you should also check to make sure the pcm is sending the ground signal to activate the relay.
Please forgive my lack of experience/knowledge, how do I check the pcm to see if it is sending the ground a signal? Thanks for the help

Old 12-29-2013, 12:43 PM
MedicineMan84
New User
Originally Posted by t.scottNDU
Have you checked voltage output on the batteries/alternator? I know it sounds weird, but last winter I had the same thing happening with our Ex- no start unless plugged in under 50 degrees, batteries acted weak/dead. Plugged in it would usually fire right up. One day I lost all electronics while driving. Put a new alternator on and all was solved.
These trucks have very good track records. I'm confident that you're close to having a very well running and sought after Powerstroke... Anyway, let me know if you want to get rid of it, that thing is right up my alley...
Voltage from the monitor reads 14.2 fluctuating slight. But 14.2 most of the time. Thanks for the input. I will let you know if it gets a for sale sign

Old 12-29-2013, 02:55 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MedicineMan84
Please forgive my lack of experience/knowledge, how do I check the pcm to see if it is sending the ground a signal? Thanks for the help

Check out post #3 in this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...t-the-gpr.html

Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM
MedicineMan84
New User
Originally Posted by tdpower
I just checked the glow plug relay. Its getting 12.5 volts on the power side. When I checked the glow plug side of the relay with the key turned to activate the relay it started at 10.9 and went to 11.3 over about ten seconds. Soo I'm guessing its good..