6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Custom front receiver hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 83 Likes on 16 Posts
Smoky, that is a nice setup you've done. I have been looking at hitches for my '13 F350 so I can use a Thule Goal Post front kayak carrier for my two kayaks, but really didn't like the lower mounting hitches either. I like what you have done. Maybe you should market that. This fits my need very well along with the fold down tag bracket. I like the fact that the fog lights don't come into play on ours like the earlier models. Thanks for sharing this..may have to make one or have one made.

Monty

Old 03-21-2014, 11:04 AM
ggadwa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom Front Receiver Hitch

Justin,
You should go into production on your top of frame mounted Hitch. I would buy one for my 2012 F350. Nice job. I have the Curt Front Receiver in the High mount under the Valance It is too low for my liking. I did get the 2WD F350 Valance so it doesn't look as low as it is.

GARY

Old 06-09-2014, 05:38 PM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would be interested in one too!

Old 06-09-2014, 08:48 PM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Originally Posted by smoky_diesel
I welded the gap shut on the receiver tube, just to look nice. sanded and painted

To fit 'correctly' I notched and boxed the tube for the coolant line. I thought the hard line on the left side would be OK, but I ended up notching it too.

Attached using the 6, 12mm factory bolts and 2, 1/2" bolts. I had to bend a jog in my trans cooler shield to get it to fit properly.

All finished, bumper back on. Not too shabby. total cost, about $50
Great design and Great workmanship........

Very Very Nice........

Old 06-09-2014, 10:45 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailor_Roy
Great design and Great workmanship........

Very Very Nice........
Thanks, sometimes I spend an extra effort to get things just how I like. My wife, well, she has several terms for it....

Here it is in action

Old 06-10-2014, 12:57 AM
Sailor Roy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 3,991 Likes on 1,598 Posts
Thanks, sometimes I spend an extra effort to get things just how I like. My wife, well, she has several terms for it....

Here it is in action
That's Ok.......You are happy because "shorta kinda close" doesn't work for a true craftsman.

Have fun with what you do.........

Old 06-17-2014, 12:33 PM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
That came out great. Document it is your idea before one of the big companies see it and copy it.
Maybe present it to them for production.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:16 AM
JKru
Cargo Master
Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
Me three

Originally Posted by gsxr1300
I would be interested in one too!
I know I'm a little bit late to the party, but I'd like to buy one of these from you too for my 2016. I can't believe that the market can't see the need for this!
​​​​​​​

Old 05-06-2017, 09:00 AM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JKru
I know I'm a little bit late to the party, but I'd like to buy one of these from you too for my 2016. I can't believe that the market can't see the need for this!
​​​​​​​
Get the drawtite front hitch. Works great and does not limit approach angle despite what is noted early in this thread. Do not get the Curt front hitch as it does limit approach angle as it hangs really low. I have the drawtite on my 2016 F350 4x4 and couldn't be happier. I got mine from Etrailer, and I also uploaded a few pics of the install on their website.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:56 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Just throwing out another option you might want to look at, there is an after market front bumper its there that you can add a receiver hitch into the front of it where a winch goes. I've been looking at this setup for awhile because I want the ability to move my winch from front to back or back to front depending on the need.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:30 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by skanj0
Get the drawtite front hitch. Works great and does not limit approach angle despite what is noted early in this thread. Do not get the Curt front hitch as it does limit approach angle as it hangs really low. I have the drawtite on my 2016 F350 4x4 and couldn't be happier. I got mine from Etrailer, and I also uploaded a few pics of the install on their website.
The draw tite mounts under the bumper, not though it. I'd guess it sits a good 9" lower.
By itself, it doesn't hinder approach angle. If a winch or generator cradle is used with it, it would definitely degrade approach angle. Whether it is an acceptable amount depends on the use, lift/tires and specific situation.

That said many of the full replacement winch bumpers also stick way out and degrade approach. I think the Road Armor bumper retains the best clearance. My future plan is to get a road armor front bumper and add a receiver tube above the winch, so I can have both the winch and generator. I could make an adapter to do this with the existing setup but it would stick out further.

I may be open to making some more, but mine required some 'fine tuning' as it is a tight fit plus the lines are in the way. This is likely unacceptable to most people who are looking for a direct bolt on, and hence why not available through the standard manufacturers. To make a one-size-fits-all-trucks the hitch to frame clearances would have to be opened up (and possibly shims used) and the bolt holes oversized/oblonged. Doable but a little different than the original that I made to perfectly fit my exact truck.

Old 05-15-2017, 03:54 PM
JKru
Cargo Master
Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts
In the bumper, not under it

My preference is a hitch mount in the bumper, not under it. I am looking to use a winch mounted in a tray, so I can move it as needed and maintain the overall stock appearance.

Looking at your pictures, smoky_diesel, I am confident that your hitch will work on my truck. Let me know when you decide you're ready to build a couple!

Old 05-15-2017, 06:54 PM
skanj0
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
The draw tite mounts under the bumper, not though it. I'd guess it sits a good 9" lower.
By itself, it doesn't hinder approach angle. If a winch or generator cradle is used with it, it would definitely degrade approach angle. Whether it is an acceptable amount depends on the use, lift/tires and specific situation.

That said many of the full replacement winch bumpers also stick way out and degrade approach. I think the Road Armor bumper retains the best clearance. My future plan is to get a road armor front bumper and add a receiver tube above the winch, so I can have both the winch and generator. I could make an adapter to do this with the existing setup but it would stick out further.

I may be open to making some more, but mine required some 'fine tuning' as it is a tight fit plus the lines are in the way. This is likely unacceptable to most people who are looking for a direct bolt on, and hence why not available through the standard manufacturers. To make a one-size-fits-all-trucks the hitch to frame clearances would have to be opened up (and possibly shims used) and the bolt holes oversized/oblonged. Doable but a little different than the original that I made to perfectly fit my exact truck.
Smokey - good estimate. I measured where the Drawtite emerges under the bumper and it is about 8-8.5" lower than where yours does in the bumper (center of opening to center of opening) based on your pics.

Old 06-18-2018, 03:31 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
I bough a new front bumper so this front receiver hitch is available.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/market/1544497