N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Spooky October all topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 10:08 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the little one Maltman, I think the Hospitals find the most uncomfortible chairs in the world 1 guy drives around the world and find these what a job when he could shop in my Garage and find , well enough to supply the 2nd ward

Old 10-09-2013, 12:42 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Congratulations! Glad to hear they are both doing well.

Jim

Old 10-09-2013, 07:05 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Congrats Maltman. Great news mama and lil Malt are doing well.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:11 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Well my fte`ers as you know its getting cooler so I shelved the shorts and brought out the overalls. At the Stoneridge mall for the next few days doing a store. Reminds me of years past when we used to sneak up on the roof during construction, I lived close by.
For all who are interested I know a place in Manteca that sells 75lb pumpkins (pretty big)for $30 and larger ones for a bit more.
Have a great day

Old 10-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Oops, I did it again...LOL

Bought a 2001 VW Jetta VR6 yesterday for $1,200 so I can flip it and make some money. Needs a radiator, and an exhaust leak fixed, and then some minor trim pieces and one factory aluminum rim.

The hood latch cable is broken which is why the hood is being held open with a block of wood laying on the engine.

Interior is in good shape except for the missing stereo.

They normally sell for $3,500 so this would have been a good car to flip. However, my friend called two days ago asking if my offer to buy him a car was still good (He was my roommate at the Vets Plaza) and I told him it was, so now this car will be going to him as part of the 10% of my income the Lord requests.

If I could drive a manual trans, I might keep this one for myself, and sell both Jags and get him a little bit bigger car since he is the same size as me. LOL. He is just looking for a daily driver, nothing fancy. I think this one would be over kill for a daily driver, but I could not pass up the price. I emailed pics to him, just waiting for a reply. However, he already told me over the phone he is fine with it. I will, of course, fix the exhaust leak, and replace the radiator before I give it to him, and might even get a stereo for it and fill up the tank with gas.

Jim

Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Hey FTE do you know what day it is, hanklin do you know what day it is, Jim hey jim do you know what day it is.

Old 10-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

It be the humpeth day. Of course, that only applies to those working stiffs. LOL

Jim

Old 10-09-2013, 07:33 PM
CLINT-THE-GREAT
Posting Legend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evening Jim and Hank

-The Great

Old 10-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Evening Clint

Jim

Old 10-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, I just got some bad news about the Jaguar XJ-S. After fixing the electrical issue so it fires on all 12 cylinders, my mechanic has found out that it has a blown head gasket.

So now I need to decide if I should fix it, or just try and sell it as a $2,500 parts car. Or have him put in a Chevy 350. However, if I did that, I would just end up with a fancy looking Corvette.

I can get a complete head gasket set on eBay for under $200, but with 159k on the engine you know the timing chain will need to be replaced as well, and that surprisingly is only $40. Don't know how much the gaskets will be yet. I would like to keep it and fix it, but I am afraid it is going to turn into a money pit...

Jim

Old 10-09-2013, 10:49 PM
04badford
Lead Driver
Fix the Heads and timing chain, to the right Buyer will be a plus Hows the Compression ?

Old 10-09-2013, 11:15 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
Hey FTE do you know what day it is, hanklin do you know what day it is, Jim hey jim do you know what day it is.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&type=1&ref=nf

Old 10-10-2013, 03:39 AM
joe f350
Post Fiend
Jim I like that vw it be as nice dd for me if u keep the jag put it on the back burner and I can do the head gaskets for u cause after crush I have a lot of spare time to help u out

Old 10-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

The compression is good, 150 in all cylinders. Just smokes from the right bank. And since it has to be torn down for the head gaskets, might as well replace the timing chain. I have been told it will be expensive to do a valve job on it though. I will try and get a estimate on that. The problem is, I was hoping to have a car flipped by now. I am already dipping into my emergency fund money, and want to start building it back up. With the XJ-S needing more work, I can't sell it for a decent profit. I am now giving the Jetta away, so the only car left is the XJ6 and that is the best car out of all of them. There is one bit of good news. The wheels on the Jetta are worth $340 each re-manufactured. So I could buy a set of four cheap aluminum wheels at Les Schwab to put on there, and then sell those wheels to offset the cost. That would almost cover what I spent on the Jetta. I like the idea of having the work done on the Jag for two reasons, one I can sell it for more money if it is running right, and two, I want to drive it at least once with it running right. And if it turns out to be a better running car than the white one, then I will not feel bad about selling the white one instead. Still, I think the XJ-S will cost me more to own down the road than the XJ6, so the logical choice would be to keep the XJ6 and sell the XJ-S. However, I see a ton of Mercedes-Benz and BMW's around here. Hardly every see a Jaguar, and when I do, it is usually the XJ series, or the X-Type. I have only seen one other XJ-S here in Fresno, and that was a newer one than mine, and a convertible. It was a beautiful burgundy red with a black top and I saw it at the VA hospital. I may keep mine just for its uniqueness.

Jim

Old 10-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by joe f350
Jim I like that vw it be as nice dd for me if u keep the jag put it on the back burner and I can do the head gaskets for u cause after crush I have a lot of spare time to help u out
Thanks for the offer, but the Jag is already at my mechanic's house, and he told me he would do the work if I decide to have it done. I think I will buy the parts, on eBay today and let him know I have decided to have it repaired. I still feel I can make a 100% profit (or more) on the car if it is running properly. Everything works on it except the AC which I will have him fix as well. The body and paint are in excellent condition except for that one spot on the right rear fender which I may also have fixed. With the engine repaired, and the AC and dent repaired, this car can easily sell for $5,000 or more. I already have $2,200 into it if I can keep the bill under $4,000 then I can see at least a $1,000 profit, maybe more, I have seen these priced as high as 13k, but those are low mileage pampered cars in heat controlled garages. Even with this one repaired, it will not sell for that much, but I would settle for half of that. List it for $7,000 obo and take nothing less than $5,500.

And again, if after it is repaired and running right, I may find I like it better than the white one, and sell the white one instead. It too can be sold for $4,500-$5000.

Jim

Quick Reply: Spooky October all topic thread