6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Tuner for my diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 08:45 PM
kurtdnelson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuner for my diesel

Does anyone know about the BD Ultra X tuner for the 6.4? Or can someone recommend one for my truck. I have installed an air induction system only.
Not going to mess with the exhaust due to expense and issues with state laws. Just want to improve driving performance and towing performance.
thank you

Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM
jlrFordFan
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kurt, search this 6.4 forum using some key words...start with "tuner".
You'll find a lot of info and many opinions which have aleeady been shared. Here is one to get you going:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...for-6-4-a.html

Old 09-25-2013, 09:44 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Hi, and welcome to the forum. This is a great plac to learn about the 6.4L I think the consesus on this forum or any other 6.4L forum would be that if you are not going to "mess" with the exhaust you should save your money. You are not likely to improve performance or towing with the DPF on the truck. In fact, I'm wondering what kind of air intake you are using and not getting a code. I didn't think that could happen. And, there are a couple folks who have some Banks electronics (dpf on) that they like. Now, if you just want something to monitor the trucks functions there are a lot of options. just read through the forum, you will find them.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:22 PM
kurtdnelson
New User
tuner for my diesel

Thanks for the welcome, but now I'm confused. I just talked to a rep. at XDP Diesel Power about the SCT SF3 Power Flash programer and they told me I can tune my horsepower and towing capabilities with this unit without removing the DPF, in fact they state the tuner won't allow that.
They claim up to 160hp and 300ft pds torque in the extreme mode, also towing (tranny only) hp increase of 65hp.
Here's the website if you want to check it out

xtremediesel.com

Do you have any experience with this type of programer?
Appreciate the help

Old 09-26-2013, 06:28 PM
kurtdnelson
New User
tuner for my diesel

The reason I chose this programer is because I used one on my 06-6.0L and had excellent results. Now I realize that the 6.0 and 6.4 are radically different engines, but I thought I would give it a try.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,427 Likes on 1,020 Posts
You need to be careful with the dpf and tuning. To the best of my knowledge Banks is about the only one carb certified.

So what does that mean? It means it does tune but it does not do so but dumping fuel.

It is a clean tune meant to preserve your dpf. Preserving your dpf also means you won't have increased regens...in fact sometimes they are farther apart then they would be otherwise.

I ran one for about 80K before I sold my 6.4.

My Ram air from banks only through a code once that I recall. Lots will throw the p2002 code but mine only did once.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:49 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kurtdnelson
Thanks for the welcome, but now I'm confused. I just talked to a rep. at XDP Diesel Power about the SCT SF3 Power Flash programer and they told me I can tune my horsepower and towing capabilities with this unit without removing the DPF, in fact they state the tuner won't allow that.
They claim up to 160hp and 300ft pds torque in the extreme mode, also towing (tranny only) hp increase of 65hp.
Here's the website if you want to check it out

xtremediesel.com

Do you have any experience with this type of programer?
Appreciate the help
I have no experience with that equipment, neither am I trying to sell you anything. It may do what they say. I guess they could change the tuning with the DPF on. But the DPF works sort of like a funnel spout. You can pour as much as you like in the bowl but you cannot increase the flow beyond what the spout can handle. I've been on this forum for almost 5 years and I don't recall anyone talking about SCT SF3 either good or bad.

The tuner industry is in a bit of a mess right now. 5 years ago Spartan was the tuner of choice for most everyines 6.4L. Then the H&S got a lot of positive comments. Both those are DPf delete. They can also be used with DPF on but few did. About a year ago the EPA cracked down on Edge who also made DPF delete tuners. not as popular here as the other two but my first tuner was an edge and I liked it fine. Anyway, they reached an agreement with Edge that fined the heck out of them and made them cease building DPF delete tuners, than a few months later the EPa jumped H&S with a similar agreement. Spartan was still in business but I don't know if they still are or not. Anyway, delete tuners have become a lot more pricey and the companys are making "street" (meaning no delete) tuners which it sounds like you're looking at. I'm no expert but diesel engines require air, a lot of air. But, you can't put more air in then you can get out through the exhaust. At least that's how I had it explained to me. Good luck and I hope whatever you get works out well for you.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:49 PM
gambling209
Junior User
i run an s&b intake on my truck. no codes ever. seemed the smart thing to do when a ford filter is over $50 and the s&b is cleanable. i plan on keeping my truck till it falls apart. i also have a spartan tuner. i have ran the dpf on and off tunes. don't expect night and day diff with the dpf on. i think spartan told me they didn't reccomend anything over the 75hp tune for daily driving. but said most people don't run them. the tune with the dpf off is night and day. 50k with tunes in my truck and no problems. most with dpf off. spartan also has the best gauge unit(the tuner).