1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do you drive a super duty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:40 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
mine was a pure want, i wanted a excursion(still a SD) i'm not on my 3rd and love it. its my daily driver and i rack on 10-12k a year mostly sub 10mpg haha

size, power, road view..ect are all wonderful things about the SD

Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edawgm
Why? That is a easy one....BAD ****!!!! I had a 2005 F-150 CC SB 4X4. I loved that truck and got a lot of compliments with it. I then ran across my current truck and had to say good bye to the F-150. 2004 F-350 6.0 CC SB DRW 4x4. I have always wanted a big truck. I guess you could say it was the Texas side of me that bigger is better...lol. I really do not haul anything on a regular basis, but knowing I can and never having to really think about it makes it fun. Do friends give me crap about it, yes, and then I threaten to hook chains to their bumper and drag their car around. It is all in good fun
It's been good to see that there are more people like who want one just because they like it and got one because they like it. Seems like anytime I'm taking with someone about trucks, I get the third degree. "what do you need one of those for? Why do you need such a big truck if you're not towing all the time?" I was starting to think I was crazy for seriously considering a super duty with out already having a purpose set out for it.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 AM
edawgm
Junior User
Originally Posted by bigblueknight
It's been good to see that there are more people like who want one just because they like it and got one because they like it. Seems like anytime I'm taking with someone about trucks, I get the third degree. "what do you need one of those for? Why do you need such a big truck if you're not towing all the time?" I was starting to think I was crazy for seriously considering a super duty with out already having a purpose set out for it.
It is one of those things that I like to say, better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it. I love my truck and it is my daily driver. I drive it with pride. I know it is a dually but it just makes it that much more intimidating on the road....

Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by edawgm
It is one of those things that I like to say, better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it. I love my truck and it is my daily driver. I drive it with pride. I know it is a dually but it just makes it that much more intimidating on the road....
When I was working on the farm that I mentioned earlier like I said, I had a 7.3 ext. cab short box lariat for a work. The best days on that job were prepping combines for harvest inside a barn out of the sun on another farm down the road The guys I worked for were brothers who were in the same fraternity as my dad along with the guy who owned the other farm plus about 3 other farmers and a couple of the seed guys. The guy who owned the farm where we prepped combines had a 03 or 04 crew cab long box superduty dually with the 6.0. That was whole different animal to drive. It made the f-250 feel as nimble as sports car. It would definitely take some getting used to driving around with that extra width on each side but man could it put some power to the ground. I remember be pretty impressed by how quick it was for being that big

Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 AM
Denola
Senior User
I needed something to pull my trailers with that was a little newer than truck I had at the time. I found this 08' SD 4x4 (automatic trans) with a 24V 5.4 in it. I've had it about a year now and love the truck. Last night I loaded my 454 International tractor w/loader and backhoe attachment on my 24' flatbed gooseneck and made the 60 mile trip to my brother's house to take the backhoe attachment off and leave it. I hauled the tractor back, and these roads were a mixture of all types. My truck got 11.2 MPG on the 120 trip, and that ain't bad!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 AM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Because it pulls anything ive ever hooked to it w/ease (including my 5th Wheel), they rule the road with there size & IMO Ford has the best looking trucks inside/out
* I hate the plain dodge interior (plus no drive-train reliability) & the chevy truck looks the same as a damn impala

Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Slpybeartx
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got tired of hauling ATVs and UTVs with my half ton silverado. Loved it, but no power. Was also limited to a smaller travel trailer, so ready to get a bigger one too!

Went from a 2008 Chevy 1500 crew to a 2012 F250 crew with 6.7psd

Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 AM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
I could not find an F150 with under 100k for under $15000. I started looking at F250 and found mine for $15k with only 71k miles on it. It was a no brainer from there. I compared both the 5.4 and the 6.8 in mpg and both are comparitively equal until you step on the skinny pedal. I have put 10k on it since I bought it with no issues. I hope to keep it for a loong time. It likes gas so I just bought a lil honda to get back and forth to work to save miles on the truck and green in the wallet. I do miss driving the truck daily though.

It is more truck than I need, but it is better to have it when you need it than to have to call a buddy or my father-in-law and borrow his Chevy or Dodge.

Last edited by Diamnd1; 03-15-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: add
Old 03-15-2013, 09:13 AM
cpickner
Senior User
Got mine because my sons outgrew my Chevy 1500 ex cab. And I wanted 4 wheel drive for the Colorado winters. The Chevy was 2 wheel. And I've really always been a Ford guy. My 1st car was a 1956 Ford F-100. My parents gave it to me when I got my drivers license in 1984. Man, I wish I still had that. Since then, I have had 2 Rangers and an Explorer.

Also, my 03 F350 ccsb, it has a shell on. I need that because my boys both play on different worship teams at our church. I have filled that thing top to bottom, front to back with their gear. Don't tow much yet. But hoping to get a travel trailer in the future. Nothing big. 24 to 28 foot bumper pull. Really don't need that much room in ht etrailer. My boys are 20 and 14. There is light at the end of our tunnel. I just hope it's not a train. :-))

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
I hate the plain dodge interior (plus no drive-train reliability) & the chevy truck looks the same as a damn impala
^^^^ agreed... dodge trucks are just plain cheap, and chevy trucks are just big cars. Ford Super Duty trucks are TRUCKS. That's why I bought my F250

Old 03-15-2013, 10:15 AM
bigblueknight
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by King-bRanch
* I hate the plain dodge interior (plus no drive-train reliability) & the chevy truck looks the same as a damn impala
Buddy has a 2011 ram 2500 cummins with all the bells and whistles but the interior looks really cheap, the leather almsot feels like vinyl. The GM's aren't much better. My whole dad's side of the family was die hard chevy. Everyone had either a suburban, tahoe, or silverado. My dad swore off chevy in 2001 after having tranny problems with a silverado. Went and bought a tundra and then another one 5 years later that I have now and mom has her lexus. After the bailout everyone in my family has been switching to fords.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:04 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
growing up my grandfather always had Ford Work vans, but the real reason was our old 1985 Ford L8000 oil deliver truck! Caterpillar V8 turbo diesel, 6speed manual, two speed rear i use to love to drive around in that thing. Then i got a 95 F150 in high school, keep it for about six months until i said enough of this baby suspension then i got a 1997 F350 reg cab 4x4 with the 5.8 (my first true love) after that the 04 F350 was a simple choice

Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bigblueknight
Buddy has a 2011 ram 2500 cummins with all the bells and whistles but the interior looks really cheap, the leather almsot feels like vinyl.
I'm really not to hip on Ford's newer leather, especially the new King Ranches. I almost bought an '03 used before I got my new '07, and that leather was awesome. I've driven an 05-06 F150 KR and it was still ok, but the new stuff seems really thin. Maybe it's the heated/cooled seats, or maybe it's just so high quality that I don't know what I'm looking at.

I've always wanted to get a saddle shop or someone like that to cut me some real leather seat covers, like a roughed out saddle seat with contrast white stitching in big thread. A REAL ranching truck

Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by texastech_diesel
I'm really not to hip on Ford's newer leather, especially the new King Ranches. I almost bought an '03 used before I got my new '07, and that leather was awesome. I've driven an 05-06 F150 KR and it was still ok, but the new stuff seems really thin. Maybe it's the heated/cooled seats, or maybe it's just so high quality that I don't know what I'm looking at.

I've always wanted to get a saddle shop or someone like that to cut me some real leather seat covers, like a roughed out saddle seat with contrast white stitching in big thread. A REAL ranching truck

Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Redneckfordf2502002
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We bought our first 02 F250 super cab 4x4 V10 because the 86 F150 4x4 302 we have wasn't holding up its weight with the things we towed. Also we needed something bigger to haul my brothers and me and my dad around in when we went to jobs. The super cab also did great for long distance. But as we got bigger we needed a bigger truck so we got the 02 F250 4x4 crew cab V10 we have now. With all the mods the power is awesome the fuel mileage is better. Also the room is sweet and this is from a family who use to always own full size chevy vans.

The other reason we bought the V10 is we don't have many diesel stations around here. Me and my dad had never heard of the V10 and when my buddy came with his 99 F250 4x4 V10 standard to haul something heavy for us it just amazed us the power so we started looking for one but auto.

Also really wanted the cloth interior that was dark and the chevy dark cloth looked cheap to us and Dodges didn't look at all appealing to us.
Trav

Quick Reply: Why do you drive a super duty?