Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

weiand stealth - hood clearance & linkages

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
weiand stealth - hood clearance & linkages

I sold my work beater and i got 500 bucks to play with.

figuring on an edelbrock carb (cauz im familar with them) and an weiand stealth intake. this is for my bone stock 79 F-350 w/460-C6-2wd w/4.10's.

my only real concerns are hood clearance and the AT kick-down. As i look at it, The stealth intake is a hi-rise of sorts so i'm wondering if i should expect any problems with the AT linkage or hood clearance.

on a side note .... edelbrock has their standard performer and their AVS.

is the tunable secondary damper a big deal? i've only had experience with the regular performer.

I've thought very long and hard about trying the summit carb, but i don't like the nature of the secondaries on a tow rig. i would like to stay out of the secondaries and know that i'm staying out of them, unless i need or intend to do otherwise.... my stock carb has the vacuum actuated secondaries and i really don't care for it much. mileage is good when not towing but atrocious when loaded ... so that's why i'm leaning toward the edelbrock.....

thoughts?

Old 02-28-2013, 02:48 AM
rockdawg84
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got my stealth installed and had to go to a smaller air cleaner. The kick down bar needs to be cut and extended and the throttle linkage also needs the same. it is close but it works and looks killer under the hood and man does it run great.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:06 AM
meborder
hummm .... that makes me a little less excited about the weiand.

have to do some further checking. might be worth the extra money for the performer manifold just so i dont have to futz with the linkages.

thanks for the input!

Old 02-28-2013, 06:00 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rockdawg84
just got my stealth installed and had to go to a smaller air cleaner. The kick down bar needs to be cut and extended and the throttle linkage also needs the same. it is close but it works and looks killer under the hood and man does it run great.
Thinking of the Weiand also. You have any pics rockdawg?

Old 02-28-2013, 07:58 PM
Thunderjet4x4
Elder User
The stealth is awsome for driveability and power, its worth farting around with the linkage. Besides, you can then fine tune the linkage.
Should still be plenty of room for a nice air cleaner of choice.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:18 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts
stealth

Meborder, I have a Weiand Stealth that is in very good condition, pm me if you are interested. Kenny

Old 03-01-2013, 08:25 AM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same setup that you do. Here is my Weiand Stealth intake and I even have a spacer under my Edelbrock 800 Thunder Series. I bought a universal throttle linkage kit and a Lokar kickdown cable and everything works great. Good luck.

Old 03-01-2013, 03:59 PM
meborder
your truck is a true work of art!

thanks for the pics, that helps and gives me a few ideas. It looks as though hood clearance shouldn't be a problem. If i use the stealth i woudn't use a spacer, and it looks like you have room even with a spacer?

i found a throttle cable and kickdown cable on summit:
AutoLoc Kickdown Cable Kits KCBL12 - SummitRacing.com
AutoLoc TCBL2 - SummitRacing.com
the prices arent bad....

here's the homepages:
AutoLoc Black Universal Throttle Cable « autoloc.com
AutoLoc Ford C-6 Kick Down Cable Kit « autoloc.com

the kickdown cable is an unknown for me. i can't envision how a cable will work on a C6, i'm sure it is straight forward, but it is different than the rod type.

i think i need to get under the hood of the old dog and see how mine is put together... i can't seem to figure out what you have going on there. I'm assuming the upper most rod is the kickdown cable?

poor picture, but here's how mine is stock:

orange rod is the kickdown, with the throttle cable and cruise control cable below that.

thanks in advance....

Last edited by meborder; 03-01-2013 at 04:09 PM. Reason: confused.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it very much. The red bar is the throttle linkage. Don't pay over $25 for one. Below is a link to Summit. I used a standard Northern Tools tube bender that cost about $10 to bend it the shape that I wanted. It is threaded so you can cut it the proper length as well. The Lokar kickdown cable is a little over priced, but it is a good quality and looks nice. I found it a little troublesome to mount the bracket on the transmission, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Allstar Performance Carburetor Linkages ALL54162 - SummitRacing.com

Old 03-02-2013, 12:59 AM
rockdawg84
Senior User
My pics will look like crap compared to MaulMaul's. LOL but I will get some tomorrow. Don't be afraid of the linkage, not a big deal.

Sam

Old 03-03-2013, 02:52 AM
meborder
Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it very much. The red bar is the throttle linkage. Don't pay over $25 for one. Below is a link to Summit. I used a standard Northern Tools tube bender that cost about $10 to bend it the shape that I wanted. It is threaded so you can cut it the proper length as well. The Lokar kickdown cable is a little over priced, but it is a good quality and looks nice. I found it a little troublesome to mount the bracket on the transmission, but I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. Good luck and let me know if I can help further.

Allstar Performance Carburetor Linkages ALL54162 - SummitRacing.com
that linkage setup is a stroke of genius! what a straight forward way to extend everything. i would never have come up with that on my own, so thanks for the idea and the link.

i'm wondering if i couldn't get two of them and extend the factory kickdown rod in the same way. that would be cheaper than a cable kit.

i love the way yours is set up, looks killer.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:08 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Maulmaul, Why the spacer? Is it a 4 hole or?? THx

Old 03-03-2013, 03:20 PM
MAULMAUL
Elder User
Here is what I think you need if you want to just use your factory kickdown linkage:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../1000/1483.pdf

Do a search on the part to be sure, but I think it will work just fine. Good luck.

As for the spacer, it just gave me a little more room up front for the HEI distributor and the fuel lines. I hope it wasn't a bad decision. Could there be any problems by using the spacer?

Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM
meborder
Originally Posted by MAULMAUL
Here is what I think you need if you want to just use your factory kickdown linkage:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../1000/1483.pdf

Do a search on the part to be sure, but I think it will work just fine. Good luck.

As for the spacer, it just gave me a little more room up front for the HEI distributor and the fuel lines. I hope it wasn't a bad decision. Could there be any problems by using the spacer?
the kick down lever adapter from edelbrock is what i had in mind. i'm just wondering if i can extend the factory linkage in a similar manner to your throttle linkage.

i'm thinking it might be a wash money wise either way i get there. whether it be a cable set-up, or the adapter and extending the factory cable.... have to think on it a while.

im rather excited to use the weiand over the edelbrock. nothing wrong with the edelbrock, but i just think the added plenum volume of the weiand will be a benefit.

thanks for all the pointers and pics!
love this forum!