6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

CCV to the down pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 04:06 PM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CCV to the down pipe.

I was going through the tech folder adding to my list of things to do, when I read the ccv mod. While I think that it is a great write up. I'm thinking of using a method from my old drag racing days. When I get my new exhaust, I want to weld a bung in it a little down stream from the turbo and run my ccv hose to that. I will have a high spot in the hose too. But my thinking is that the hot exhaust will burn up any oil mist. Do you guys see any reason this wouldn't work? I will have it far enough down the down pipe to where the temps are a little cooler. The venturi effect of the exhaust will help pull on the crank case vent to evac the fumes also.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:18 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This was discussed somewhere back in the dark ages around here...

The general consensus is that the pressure in the exhaust pipe is greater than the pressure in the crankcase, so even with any venturi effect, you're still pushing exhaust back into the engine.

If you're going to dump, dump to atmosphere.

-blaine

Old 12-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
The one problem I see is you will have to make it draw the air from the CCV
and not pressurise it. That could be a problem do to the CAT and the muffler
causing back pressure. Also not sure how the oil will affect the CAT.
Now if you have a straight pipe and no CAT it may work. Just check the back
pressure at the new fitting. It will need to be negative to pull the vapor
out of the crankcase.

Sean

Note : I spent too much time typing and retyping do to the Cat stepping on keyboard

Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 PM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
The fittings we used to use inserted into the header collector and turned towards the exhaust exit (if that makes any sense). And they had a check valve inside the body of the fitting for flow to only go one way. There was always a pull on the hoses at both valve covers on the race motors. I'll have to see if I can find them fittings again.

Old 12-22-2012, 04:53 PM
uncle_jessie
Senior User
Here is what we used to use. You can see how the tube that goes into the exhaust will be open to the back, then that little check valve goes on it, which is what you will hook the hose too. But yeah, no muffler or cat.

Moroso 25900 Moroso Crankcase Evacuation System

Old 12-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Obviously there are some here that do not understand the scavenging effects running a draft tube into the exhaust headers in a race car.

In any event it would work perfectly fine if the truck does not need emissions testing. If it does I could see the crankcase gases throwing off the readings.

Josh

Old 12-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Frankenbiker
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In the aforementioned discussions, they beat that issue to death.

Part of the reason for doing it in RACE CARS was that they couldn't have the oil drop/droplets from the crankcase vent system dripping onto the track. Burning them in the exhaust was the easiest and most expedient method of getting rid of them. Noise isn't an issue in a race/track car, and the scavenging effect of the open exhaust was sufficient (at the time) to draw crankcase gasses from the block.

In passenger car (i.e. on public highways) applications, the backpressure present from even a rudimentary muffling system was sufficient to overcome the scavenging effect of the headers. Since there was no need to prevent drops hitting the pavement, the idea was largely abandoned.

In addition, the EPA required that ALL engine emissions be routed through the catalyst.

It's not that it DOESN'T work, it's that there are better solutions.

Nowadays, catch cans are used to catch the oil, and it's either routed back to the crankcase in a continuous fashion, or dumped at every oil change. Intake vacuum is a far stronger scavenging source than exhaust-based venturi vacuum could ever be. (On diesels, since no throttle plate is present, the vacuum source is the low-pressure section of the intake tract, between the air filter element and the turbo.)

The 6.0 is the only engine that doesn't do this, a brain-dead error on Ford's part. The 6.4 has a fairly large can integrated into the valve cover vent.

-blaine