6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

After replacing turbo - lower boost and higher EGTs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frankenbiker
As I recall, you're running Matt's SRL tune when not towing. He uses boost table programming tricks to get high boost levels. The side effect of this is making the stock gauge top out at 21-23 psi.

In this case, it may be performing exactly as specified.

(correct me if I'm wrong on the tune...)

-blaine
You are correct in that I am running the SRL tune when not towing. I don't really recall what my max boost was with his tune and the stock turbo because I really don't drive the truck that hard. When I am towing my travel trailer, however, I am running a trans only tune; this is when I notice the decrease in boost. My truck used to boost up to 28psi before downshifting, and now it only goes up to 23psi.

As cheezit said, this may be completely normal based on the increased flow of the turbo, even though it is not what I expected based on other folks reviews.

I've considered that it could be the programming as well, but I have a new tune from Tony Wildman that was written after I got the new turbo, so it is taken into account. I am still seeing elevated EGTs and lower boost.

I may just have to accept that this is how it is now and not worry about it so much. All I really want is to confirm that my truck is running properly and that nothing is mechanically wrong with it and being hidden by a tune.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Papa Tiger
Fleet Owner
Received 3,451 Likes on 2,363 Posts
Ah Geese, call Tony Wildman and bitch at him and quit waisting out time.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
tony was a great 7.3 tuner one of the best. i have a tune i got from him for 6.0 worst tune ever nothing but black smoke and trans that went into fail mode, no shifting, massive delays when it did. called tony back guy failed to rewrite a useable tune or any tune for that matter, failed to refund my payment.
thems the facts. high egt my bet goes to incorrect tuning.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasA&M
You are correct in that I am running the SRL tune when not towing. I don't really recall what my max boost was with his tune and the stock turbo because I really don't drive the truck that hard. When I am towing my travel trailer, however, I am running a trans only tune; this is when I notice the decrease in boost. My truck used to boost up to 28psi before downshifting, and now it only goes up to 23psi.

As cheezit said, this may be completely normal based on the increased flow of the turbo, even though it is not what I expected based on other folks reviews.

I've considered that it could be the programming as well, but I have a new tune from Tony Wildman that was written after I got the new turbo, so it is taken into account. I am still seeing elevated EGTs and lower boost.

I may just have to accept that this is how it is now and not worry about it so much. All I really want is to confirm that my truck is running properly and that nothing is mechanically wrong with it and being hidden by a tune.
To be getting 28 psi boost out of an 05+ truck you must have been running an as delivered PCM/FICM strategy either VXCF0 or VXCF1. Once VXCF4 and VXCF5 came out the boost was 25 psi max. The 2 latest flashes VXCF7 (Ficm killer) and VXCF9 I believe, could be wrong, but have the max boost lowered further to 23 psi.

Quite possibly you aren't comparing apples to apples when it comes to your as delivered truck strategy and those that may have later flashes that may or may not account for the increased flow of the turbo.

Either way, give the turbo manufacturer a call to find out what's up.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Originally Posted by cheezit
tony was a great 7.3 tuner one of the best. i have a tune i got from him for 6.0 worst tune ever nothing but black smoke and trans that went into fail mode, no shifting, massive delays when it did. called tony back guy failed to rewrite a useable tune or any tune for that matter, failed to refund my payment.
thems the facts. high egt my bet goes to incorrect tuning.
Very interesting. Maybe he's gotten better at 6.0 tuning? The tune he wrote me has a ton of power and doesn't smoke at all. Tranny shifts good, and EGTs are no higher than when running Gearhead's tunes. I haven't even paid him for the tune yet because he sent it to me to test it out and see if it solved my problems.

I talked to Matt and he said that the tunes would not need to be re-written for the new turbo, and that I should look for a leak somewhere. I've been thinking of trying a tune from Vivian (Quicktricks) because I have heard lots of good things about her tunes, but I hate to spend more money just to mask the problem (assuming that there is a true mechanical problem).

Old 12-19-2012, 10:29 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
Originally Posted by Bullitt390
To be getting 28 psi boost out of an 05+ truck you must have been running an as delivered PCM/FICM strategy either VXCF0 or VXCF1. Once VXCF4 and VXCF5 came out the boost was 25 psi max. The 2 latest flashes VXCF7 (Ficm killer) and VXCF9 I believe, could be wrong, but have the max boost lowered further to 23 psi.

Quite possibly you aren't comparing apples to apples when it comes to your as delivered truck strategy and those that may have later flashes that may or may not account for the increased flow of the turbo.

Either way, give the turbo manufacturer a call to find out what's up.
I'm running the VXCF5 strategy and have gotten up to 28psi on numerous occasions while towing. This is all on the stock gauge and Edge Insight, so I've considered that I may not be comparing apples to apples, but the point is that the only thing I did was change turbos, and then things changed. It is possible that something else coincidentally went out (a sensor or something), but most likely it has to do with either the new turbo itself, or the install (a leak).

I've been working with MTW and they have given me a list of things to go over... just figured I'd try to get some other minds thinking in order to help the search.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by TexasA&M
I've been thinking of trying a tune from Vivian (Quicktricks) because I have heard lots of good things about her tunes, but I hate to spend more money just to mask the problem (assuming that there is a true mechanical problem).
I have 2 tunes from Vivian, the Looney Tune and Looney Mild. Work really well (Looney Tune is wicked fast) and she spent a great deal of time to communicate back and forth over the quality of the tunes.

For some reason the Looney Tune shifts like crap when it is colder than 30 degrees outside. Hence, the Looney Mild she wrote.

However, with that said I usually run the canned SCT Street or Performance tunes.

She really does know her stuff and has several guys who drag race and professionaly truck pull using her tunes.

Josh

Old 12-19-2012, 11:14 PM
TexasA&M
Elder User
I'm going to try out the Looney Tune and see how the truck reacts. I've heard lots of good things about her tunes, and several folks running the MTW turbo are using her for tuning, so it can't hurt. I'm already way over budget on my projects right now, so what's a few more bucks?!?!? I've been wanting to try some different tunes anyway in order to find the one I like best, so this is as good a time as any, I figure.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:16 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
i thought jody was writing the loony tunes?

Old 12-20-2012, 04:23 PM
Bullitt390

Originally Posted by cheezit
i thought jody was writing the loony tunes?
Vivian writes the Looney Tune at Quick Tricks auto aka the old DJ tunes until they got divorced.

Jody works for DP Tuner

Josh