Laggy Turbo - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laggy Turbo

  #1  
Old 10-14-2018, 07:29 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Laggy Turbo

Well I fixed my issues with lack of boost, and I finally have been able to drive my truck around with full power again.
Iíll just put it this way.
My turbo sucks.
After I pulled the wool from my eyes and actually tested my turbo after the hype of swapping turbos Iíve realized itís too laggy for me.
It a D66 with a .84 A/R exhaust housing and a billet wheel.
Trucks got 180/30 injectors, 6637 intake, 5Ē exhaust,
HPOP, etc. ZF6 Truck with 33x12.5Ē tires.
I am looking at either T4 or KC38R.
I do not mind the price tag of the T4
I donít mind putting it in either.
However, I donít wanna waste my money on a set up I couldíve gotten out of the drop in turbo.
Currently the turbo lights at 1900rpm in 6th on the highway.
If I am running at 65mph I am lugging it and the turbo is so laggy I bellow out soot. Not my cup of tea.
Id like the new turbo to light up quicker. Thatís it. Iíd like to be able to hit the gas and not wait for it to light.
So with that said, whatís the better option for my truck?
 
  #2  
Old 10-14-2018, 08:16 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
SXE Junkie
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 7,221
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Do you tow anything?
 
  #3  
Old 10-14-2018, 08:19 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Do you tow anything?
At most a 5000lb boat and trailer.
 
  #4  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:00 PM
beef tits
beef tits is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 259
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Don't be fooled by the quantity of cylinders on the Powerstroke, it may be a v8 but it's no big block gasser. Your ZF6 (and mine) likely only make it slower to spool.

I have the GTP38R and it doesn't really boost until 1900/2000 RPMs, which frankly is better than I recall it being stock. I think you just need to get used to downshifting when you want to accelerate hard, as an automatic would. Your go fast powerband is well over 2,000 RPMs. Drop to 4th to GO. (Or 5th if you're one of those people who call this thing a 6 speed - Granny called, she wants her gear back)

My seat of the pants dyno felt better after I ditched the open 5" exhaust for a muffled 4" too. Maybe I was just elated by the fact that it sounded less like **** but it seemed to hit boost a tad bit sooner.
 
  #5  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:13 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by beef **** View Post
Don't be fooled by the quantity of cylinders on the Powerstroke, it may be a v8 but it's no big block gasser. Your ZF6 (and mine) likely only make it slower to spool.

I have the GTP38R and it doesn't really boost until 1900/2000 RPMs, which frankly is better than I recall it being stock. I think you just need to get used to downshifting when you want to accelerate hard, as an automatic would. Your go fast powerband is well over 2,000 RPMs. Drop to 4th to GO. (Or 5th if you're one of those people who call this thing a 6 speed - Granny called, she wants her gear back)

My seat of the pants dyno felt better after I ditched the open 5" exhaust for a muffled 4" too. Maybe I was just elated by the fact that it sounded less like **** but it seemed to hit boost a tad bit sooner.
What injectors do you have? I bet theyíre stock, if so youíre comparing oranges to lamps.
Trust me I know how to drive my truck.
Im on the highway doing 65mph in 6th 1800rpm, i donít think running it in 5th at 2300 constantly is a good idea.
An exhaust isnít going to do anything with how fast your boost ďbuildsĒ this isnít a gas engine. Diesels want as little backpressure at possible. Going from 5Ē to 4Ē isnít going to do anything unless you make 800hp
 
  #6  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:18 PM
z31freakify's Avatar
z31freakify
z31freakify is online now
Post Fiend
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Las Cruces New Mexico
Posts: 6,175
z31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to beholdz31freakify is a splendid one to behold
Install the stock compressor housing and wheel and I bet your spooling will come in sooner, the 66mm compressor wheel aint helping at all ask how I know look at my sig.
best option is to go all out and go the T/4 route.
 
  #7  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
SXE Junkie
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 7,221
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
Because of the ZF6 (despite the injectors you are running) you would want to select a KC38R with a .84 housing. As BT mentioned above, the ZF6 truck is a different beast than the 4R100 and will never shift the same or build/hold boost the same. Even if you are the best in the world at driving a ZF6, it will be different than the 4R100. That said, you might not be happy with the results from the KC, but you might.

If you are willing to jump into a T4, you have a lot more options available to you and the ability to switch the turbines or compressors out at a much better cost until you find your happy place. The T4 allows for you to get one of the best turbos currently on the market.

You need to ask yourself if you are looking for the a good solution or if you are looking for a convenient solution. In addition, because you don't tow heavy, the convenient solution may work well for you, but the good solution will definitely work for you.

 
  #8  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:27 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by z31freakify View Post
Install the stock compressor housing and wheel and I bet your spooling will come in sooner, the 66mm compressor wheel aint helping at all ask how I know look at my sig.
best option is to go all out and go the T/4 route.
I wish I could but I lended it to my friend who blew his compressor side up.
And yeah it was much more responsive but it was pushing its limit a lot. I thought this compressor side would help that, which it did, but it made it too laggy. When I drive to work I have to downshift to get the boost going from 65 to climb a hill. If I had an auto I donít think Iíd mind this turbo but with a stick itís not a good combo.
Today merging onto the highway, I shifted at 2300rpm from 5th to 6th and once I hit 6th the truck ďboggedĒ a bit and sooted everywhere. I donít really like to do that as the police like to give people a hard time about it.
I was looking at either a 366sxe or the 364.5sxe. But I know the 366 is the same Induced size as the D66 I just donít know how much the different exhaust wheel will help. I do like a decently responsive turbo but I do like good top end power as well.
 
  #9  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:31 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
Because of the ZF6 (despite the injectors you are running) you would want to select a KC38R with a .84 housing. As BT mentioned above, the ZF6 truck is a different beast than the 4R100 and will never shift the same or build/hold boost the same. Even if you are the best in the world at driving a ZF6, it will be different than the 4R100. That said, you might not be happy with the results from the KC, but you might.

If you are willing to jump into a T4, you have a lot more options available to you and the ability to switch the turbines or compressors out at a much better cost until you find your happy place. The T4 allows for you to get one of the best turbos currently on the market.

You need to ask yourself if you are looking for the a good solution or if you are looking for a convenient solution. In addition, because you don't tow heavy, the convenient solution may work well for you, but the good solution will definitely work for you.

What website is that?
I have been searching everywhere for a similar truck as mine with a KC38r but its few and far between.
 
  #10  
Old 10-14-2018, 09:53 PM
Sous's Avatar
Sous
Sous is online now
SXE Junkie
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Lake Hartwell, GA
Posts: 7,221
Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.Sous has a spectacular reputation.
The image I posted is a parts listing and how they fit together for the Borg Warner SXE turbos.

You won't find much about the KC38R, especially when it comes to being on a ZF6 truck. My choice was easy and almost made up for me once I dug into the internet and read more than I like to admit. I looked at turbos for almost a year trying to decide what I needed and what would suit my uses. Also, being able to change out for a smaller/larger turbine and compressor for minimal cost is a bonus in my opinion.

Who knows, maybe I will win the lottery and get 250/80 injectors and a 472SXE...
 
  #11  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:07 PM
JT250's Avatar
JT250
JT250 is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: OKC, OK
Posts: 2,284
JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.JT250 has a very good reputation on FTE.
What tuning are you running and do you know what your pulse width is on those 180/30s? Do you like that size? I want to change the nozzles on mine to go from 160/30 to 160/80. Would like to get the fuel out faster. I have heard 160/30s are hard to tune, I can only imagine yours are worse.
 
  #12  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:19 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JT250 View Post
What tuning are you running and do you know what your pulse width is on those 180/30s? Do you like that size? I want to change the nozzles on mine to go from 160/30 to 160/80. Would like to get the fuel out faster. I have heard 160/30s are hard to tune, I can only imagine yours are worse.
From what I know Iíd get 238/80s or /100s.
I regret not going larger.
Dan K and Brian Jelich have wrote tunes for my truck both are great.
 
  #13  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:21 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by JT250 View Post
What tuning are you running and do you know what your pulse width is on those 180/30s? Do you like that size? I want to change the nozzles on mine to go from 160/30 to 160/80. Would like to get the fuel out faster. I have heard 160/30s are hard to tune, I can only imagine yours are worse.
Pulse width varies on tunes, in my race tune it goes up to 4.something when I floor it at 70mph.
 
  #14  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:24 PM
Markus Luukko's Avatar
Markus Luukko
Markus Luukko is online now
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: CT
Posts: 195
Markus Luukko is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Sous View Post
The image I posted is a parts listing and how they fit together for the Borg Warner SXE turbos.

You won't find much about the KC38R, especially when it comes to being on a ZF6 truck. My choice was easy and almost made up for me once I dug into the internet and read more than I like to admit. I looked at turbos for almost a year trying to decide what I needed and what would suit my uses. Also, being able to change out for a smaller/larger turbine and compressor for minimal cost is a bonus in my opinion.

Who knows, maybe I will win the lottery and get 250/80 injectors and a 472SXE...
Lol when I graduate and finally get to work full time I may use my sign on bonus for some real race parts on this truck or another truck.
I read online that people have liked 469s on truck with stock injectors, but I bet thatís an auto truck.
I also donít know if Iíd need new plenums and intercooler boots or if their recommendations are BS.
 
  #15  
Old 10-14-2018, 10:25 PM
beef tits
beef tits is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 259
beef tits is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Markus Luukko View Post

What injectors do you have? I bet they’re stock, if so you’re comparing oranges to lamps.
Trust me I know how to drive my truck.
Im on the highway doing 65mph in 6th 1800rpm, i don’t think running it in 5th at 2300 constantly is a good idea.
An exhaust isn’t going to do anything with how fast your boost “builds” this isn’t a gas engine. Diesels want as little backpressure at possible. Going from 5” to 4” isn’t going to do anything unless you make 800hp

My injectors are in my sig and, relatively speaking, are sized very similar to yours; 160/30

I'm not saying drive around in 4th (5th - whatever) gear, but you have to downshift it if you want to accelerate hard. My 160/30s accelerate just fine from 65 MPH in top gear unless I hammer the throttle. Then I get lots of smoke, feel like I am waiting on boost, etc... Gotta get the RPMs up if you want fast boost with no smoke.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.