Need help in Detroit

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 07:21 PM
jflaig
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help in Detroit

Hey,

My 2000 Ford F350 will not start. I have replaced the batteries, alternator and starter. Now the truck will crank, but will not fire and there is no smoke. The truck has the WTS light and there is rpm when cranking. I believe that since there is no smoke that fuel is not being injected into the cylinders. I was told that I need a good scanner in order to figure out what is wrong from here. Does anyone have the ability to scan my truck and help me out? I am located in Westland, MI. I can assist with fuel and what not, I really just need my truck fixed. Or can anyone recommend a shop around me where I can have my truck towed to? I need help quick! Thanks.

Joe

Old 12-03-2012, 08:50 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE. First off, we need more info on what your truck is. Gas or diesel. A lot of the guys put this info in their signature.
Some auto parts stores have a tool loan program that can get those codes pulled for you. Have you tried looking in the Super Duty section for advice? Some of the other guys will pipe in tomorrow morning I'm sure, as most of us work early.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:52 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Based on your post, I'm assuming its a 7.3 diesel. Lots of great people in the 7.3 diesel section. Try starting a thread there too. Good luck Joe. I'm sorry I'm not much help as I'm headed to bed.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:03 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Morning Joe, 2000 is different the 99, I dont know all of the differences, but lets start with the easy, pull out the manual,
check the PCM fuse
Crawl under the truck, driverside, have some one turn on the key, the fuel pump is right under your driver seat along the frame, listen there.
Do you have mods, such as a tuner, have you checked connections?

I willl be looking for any feed back from you today. Hopefully we can get this resolved.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:02 PM
jflaig
New User
Sorry for not providing more information. Here is some general information on my truck and the problems.

2000 F350 7.3psd with 6sp manual
Intake and exhaust
Resistor Mod
Everything else stock

Current Issue:
Cranking no start
Have WTS light
RPM during cranking is 100+
No smoke
Replaced starter, alternator, batteries, fuel filter and cleaned the air filter.
Tried removing the ICP and no change.
Checked all fuses and they are good
Checked the wiring of the ICR and there were no issue and the nut was tight.

Any suggestions or comments? Does anyone have access to AutoEnginuity in the Detroit area?
THANKS!!!

Old 12-04-2012, 08:21 PM
FordBlueHeart
Logistics Pro
Joe, I definitely won't be able to help that much, but a question I have is" how did you check the fuses? " Did you look at them or meter them for continuity? Did you replace all of those things because it wouldn't start?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:45 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 507 Likes on 171 Posts
Only thing that ever stopped my 7.3 from starting was the glow plug relay but I would expect some smoke. A quick and easy check you can do on the injection system is check the HPOP reservoir oil level. Its right by your fuel filter, square shaped with an allen plug right on top. Remove it-oil should be right near the top. Other than that and what has been mentioned you need to run codes-even a cheapie generic OBD2 reader from (or at) Auto Zone could be helpful.

Old 12-05-2012, 04:05 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
There is a sensor located on the back of the HPOP, it is held there by a tin nut, can you check to see if that nut is still there?

Fuel, is your pump running?

Have you had the valve covers off? There is a plug onthe Drivers Side valve cover, if the bolt is not tightened, you have no control to any of your injectors, or glow plugs.

Fianlly, the easy, have you replaced your CPS?

Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 AM
maevans
Posting Guru

Like Pat said, check the easy stuff like your CPS, then I would rule out the fuel bowl heater fuse, and double check your oil level.

Take your fuel bowl lid off and check to see if you are getting fuel to the bowl.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:29 AM
jflaig
New User
Thanks everyone for the information. I have checked all of the fuses for continuity and the fuel bowl is filling. I have not replaced the CPS because I was told that if I had RPM during cranking than it was OK, please correct me if that is wrong. The HPOP has oil in it and I checked the sensor on the back of the HPOP for the nut. Also I replaced the UVCH last year when they became loose and my truck would not run correctly.

This all started a couple weeks ago when my truck would not start. There was a slow crank and then finally no crank. I was able to jump the truck and it fired right away. I then replaced the batteries and had the same issue again about a week later, but was still able to jump the truck to start it. I then had the truck tested and found out that my alternator was bad, so I replaced that and had no issues. The next week the truck would not start again, this time because of a slow crank. I tried to jump the truck, but my start (which was original) had enough and quit. I replaced the starter and now my truck will crank the best it ever has, but no start or no smoke.

Please let me know you thoughts! Thanks!

Old 12-05-2012, 06:24 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
What is the voltage while trying to start??