Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Monterey, CA Support Crew?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 PM
milman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey, CA Support Crew?

Well, my procrastination got me in a tight spot. I've been saving for a set of injectors (already had to replace two, wanted to replace the whole set with stage I's) and lost an injector on the freeway yesterday. Got towed to the stealership, and they want $840 just for the labor.

I would much rather do the work myself, but I don't have access to a military on-base auto shop (there isn't one here) and I'm missing one or two necessary tools. Not just that, but for someone as meticulous (that means slow) as myself, replacing injectors is a real process. The training course I'm in at the moment has me attending class 8 hours, then 5+ hours of homework every evening... kind of strained when it comes to sanity and free time to take care of vehicle issues.

So, I can get all the parts myself for half what they would charge and pay the dealership to just get it done, or I can turn to the fine folks here with the tools and real-life expertise and get my hands dirty again. And make sure it's done right.

Anyone know someone in the Monterey, CA area who has been through all this before? A kind soul with a Saturday to spare sometime? Or, if nothing else, maybe some recommendations for a non-dealership shop in the area? Thanks, all. There are some great looking trucks driving around town, wouldn't be surprised if there are quite a few local owners on this forum.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:29 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are a couple of guys down that way. Stewart H, Duck Fan (Peter) and a few others. Obviously couldn't speak for them on availability, but they are all a great bunch of guys and I'm sure would be willing to help in any way they possibly could, even if just advice and pointing you in the right direction. Hang on, I'm sure someone will be along shortly.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:55 PM
tinker934
Senior User
Injectors

As for tools it's not that bad it's just the time thing. I did mine stage 1 on a sat afternoon.... I live n pismo beach 2hr away if that

Old 10-29-2012, 10:57 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Looks like an impromptu get-together happening soon.

How do you know you lost an injector?

Stewart

Old 10-29-2012, 11:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Pete will be chiming in soon. I just texted him.

Stewart

Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
I am free most of the day Saturday and all day Sunday. I'll PM you my contact info. I am totally game for a wrenching session. We can even tackle some diagnosis. The stealership isn't always right.

Stewart, your place is probably better than mine.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:25 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Don't forget we have plans Sunday afternoon.

Stewart

Old 10-29-2012, 11:32 PM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Don't forget we have plans Sunday afternoon.

Stewart
True, Saturday is better anyway since with the time change on Sat night, it will be dark early on Sunday.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:04 AM
milman
Senior User
Injector fail

Thanks for the responses! I've always known this site has the best people around. A full set of injectors wouldn't be happening this weekend, I still need to order parts. The first time I lost an injector on the highway the engine went from smooth as diesel to loud clacking and plumes of white smoke. The engine would barely idle after that, and the smokescreen was truly impressive. One #4 injector later, we were back on the road to CA. The symptoms yesterday were identical, only this time it happened when I tried to pass someone going 45 on the freeway - press pedal, downshift, then clacking, clouds of smoke and no power. Coasted off the highway and had it towed that afternoon.

Does that not sound like an injector? The dealer hasn't diagnosed it, they want the full $840 for even pulling the VC's - a 6-hour project on the books. No way does it take even close to that, I pulled them with minimal experience in MUCH less than 6 hours, but dealer hours are what they are. According to their service manager, the hours are the same regardless of what work needs to be done under the VC, even pulling injectors and replacing all o-rings (what their technician recommended doing) along with VC gaskets and the harnesses.

The tools I'm short are a breaker bar, an inch-pound torque wrench, and a good set of pry bars (though I hardly need an excuse to buy the breaker bar and pry bars now).

Old 10-30-2012, 12:33 AM
4inchlovin
Post Fiend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quiet frankly there are few places in cali that you are better off needing help these guys round here are pretty great... haha

Old 10-30-2012, 12:34 AM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
I'd get it out of there, order the injectors, and then plan a day with Peter and Stewart. These are great guys, can tell you whats going on with your truck and face it, not everybody can give you that kind of help. Hope it all works out, God bless,

Chet

Old 10-30-2012, 12:39 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Is it still at Cypress Coast?

Stewart

Old 10-30-2012, 12:40 AM
milman
Senior User
Yep, but they know I don't want them to work on it yet. I could have it towed out of there anytime.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:47 AM
timf150
Laughing Gas
Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts
MilMan....you are in good hands with those guys.

If you get those guys to help you out I would love to meet up with you all just for the education.

Tim M

Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 AM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Have it towed back to your place and we'll get some diagnostics run on that puppy. We can hook up my AE and see what we see.

Are you studying at NPS or DLI?

Stewart

Quick Reply: Monterey, CA Support Crew?