6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

No Power P0206

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:12 PM
Chester_field
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Power P0206

I just spent just under $1000 on brakes cause the caliper slides seized up and they still wouldn't cover it under my bumper to bumper. The rad started leaking and the upper rad hose started leaking Rad $550, all 3 rad hoses $250. New ball joints and a stabilizer bar link. The ball joints and Link are still in the box and haven't had time to install them yet.

Get the rad and fluid back in it today take it for a run to get my new equipment trailer and on the way home and I lose power. It finally throws up a code P0206 open circuit on #6 injector. Miss firing like crazy, so I assume it is not firing on number 6 cylinder at all.

Sorry for venting but am getting tired of spending more time under it than in it. I spend more time in my 1995 7.3L with 1/2 million on it. Its got its issues too but it never lets me down.

Anybody know what I should be looking for or test procedures?

Old 09-29-2012, 06:23 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Wiring is what I would look at first.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Chester_field
Junior User
Thanks I was going to pull the fuel cooler off it tomorrow to get a view of the harness going under the valve cover. There is a real lack of information out there, I have been looking everywhere since yesterday. I have found min max thresholds for the circuit.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Chester_field
Junior User
I found this it is for gas engine, I am not so sure how valid the tests are
1) because (not sure if this true for 6.4) my 7.3 is labeled injectors use 115 volts DC. I don't think i would want to put 115 volts thru a 12v tester.
2) running the engine with injectors unplugged am I causing more damage?

The possible cause seems valid.....Just some more information, for the lack of info out there.

OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description

Injector Circuit Malfunction
What does that mean?

In sequential fuel injection the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) controls each injector individually. Battery voltage is supplied to each injector from, usually, the power distribution center (PDC) or other fused source. The PCM supplies the ground circuit to each injector by means of an internal switch called a "driver". The PCM monitors each driver circuit for faults. For example, when a fuel injector is commanded "off" by the PCM, it expects to see a high voltage on the driver ground circuit. Conversely, when a fuel injector is commanded "on" by the PCM, it expects to see the voltage pulled low on the driver circuit
If it doesn't see this expected condition on the driver circuit, P0200 or P1222 may set. Other injector circuit fault codes may set as well.

Symptoms

Symptoms of a P0200 DTC may include:
  • MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) illumination
  • Engine misfire at idle or at highway speed
  • Engine may start and stall or not start at all
  • Cylinder misfire codes may be present
Causes

Potential causes of an P0200 code include:
  • Open or shorted injector
  • Injector low internal resistance (basically an injector that works, but is out of specs)
  • Grounded driver circuit
  • Open driver circuit
  • Driver circuit shorted to voltage
  • Wiring harness intermittently shorting against underhood components
Possible Solutions

1. If you have multiple misfire/injector codes, a good first step is to unplug all the fuel injectors and then turn the ignition on, engine off (KOEO). Check for presence of battery voltage (12 Volts) at one wire of each injector connector. If all are missing, check for continuity to ground on the voltage circuit by using a test light connected to positive battery and probe each voltage feed. If it lights up, then there is a short to ground on the voltage feed causing a short. Get a wiring diagram and repair the short on the voltage feed and reestablish proper battery voltage. (Don't forget to check for a blown fuse and replace as necessary). NOTE: It's possible for one injector to short out the whole battery voltage feed to all the injectors. So if you have lost voltage to all the injectors, replace the blown fuse and plug each injector in, one by one. If the fuse blows, the last injector you plugged in is shorted. Replace it and retest. If only one or two battery feeds are missing, then it's more likely to be a shorted battery voltage feed in the individual injector wiring harness. Inspect and repair as necessary.
2. If you have battery voltage fed to each injector harness, then the next step is to get a noid light to check for injector driver operation. A noid light will insert into the injector harness in place of the fuel injector and flash rapidly when the injector driver operates. Check each fuel injector connector. If the noid light flashes rapidly then suspect the injector. Ohm each fuel injector if you have a resistance specification. If the injector is open or the resistance is higher or lower than the spec, replace the fuel injector. If the injector tests out, the problem is likely an intermittent wiring problem. (Remember that a fuel injector can work properly when cold but go open when hot, or vice versa. So it's best to do these checks when the problem is occurring). Check the wiring harness for any chafing, or the injector connector for loose pins or a broken lock. Repair as necessary and retest. Now, if the noid light doesn't flash, then there's a problem with the driver or the driver circuit. Unplug the PCM connector and ohm the fuel injector driver circuits. Any resistance means there's a problem. Infinite resistance points to an open in the circuit. Find it and repair it, then retest. If you can find no problem with the harness and there is no fuel injector driver operation, then check the PCM powers and grounds. If they are okay, the PCM may be at fault.
Article written by Dale Toalston

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Chester_field
Junior User
I called my Ford parts guy to check Oasis to see what injector they change in it in April 0f 2008 and price on a new injector. My luck say it isn't something simple.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
your best bet is going to be to ohm out the ckt for #6 injector at the pcm. iirc less then 5 ohms. from there i would suspect wet loom or failed injector

Old 10-02-2012, 09:36 PM
Chester_field
Junior User
[quote from there i would suspect wet loom[/quote]

What is wet loom?

Old 10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

also knowen as a under valve cover harness, or uvc harness.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Chester_field
Junior User
That's a new term I have never heard before, makes sense though. I did take it in and the put the snap-on scanner on it found the p0206 code then it went away. We went for a drive with the scanner it popped again showed the #6 error and it was #8 cutting out under load. soon as I took my foot out and both codes went away..........The first thought is my exhaust is plugged. I'll know more tomorrow

Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Chester_field
Junior User
Well the verdict is in.........I need 2 injectors. They are working intemittently, but resistance is high. It will be another grand if they don't cover it under warranty.

I probable won't know if it is covered until next week. I'm not hold my breath, but I am truck shopping!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:13 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,437 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Run your vin on fords website. Early job one had some bad injectors to start with. Be sure to check that avenue.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Originally Posted by senix
Run your vin on fords website. Early job one had some bad injectors to start with. Be sure to check that avenue.
if there is an open recall it will pull on oasis

Old 10-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Chester_field
Junior User
My brother-in-law is the parts manager were I grew up.....he suppose to be checking oasis for that and what injector the replace in 08......I'm going to have to kick him to do it. He said Oasis was down on tuesday and he couldn't log. I think it is just code for I am to busy!!!

Old 10-05-2012, 03:44 PM
Chester_field
Junior User
Check Oasis there is no recall on injectors in Canada.......Ford is refusing to cover it because it was diagnosised by and X-certified Ford tech.

I told them why I haven't taken the truck to the local dealer. the kids they have working their have a hard time get the bicycles fixed 4 attempts at an aligment and it still wore the tires out (wrong camber angle), they put in a stabalizer bar, gave me the truck back with the steering wheel almost upside down to go straight down the road, fixed the EGR problem, I had to take to a friend 300 miles away to get it fixed right at another Ford dealer. They wouldn't fix the brakes when they failed because of seized caliper slides. I had to pay for the rad and rad hose because of pre-mature coolant leaks and did the work myself.

I've paid more in deductables in 4 years than I paid in repairs to my 1995 7.3

I just don't have the $1000 to get my truck back.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST FORD. My father was a Ford mechanic in the toronto area too. That is all I have pretty much ever own..........I may turn J.A. Pan company next.