Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Project: he351ve turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:23 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a possibility. You could be right...

Old 12-31-2012, 06:51 PM
seawalkersee
New User
Wow...I just skimmed through 18 pages to see if there was going to be a dyno or a bad ending or something. Maybe even a fuel milage update and NOTHING. Whats up with the stickers and the performance intakes? I saw them listed several times in this thread and have not been on this site for like 6 mos. In fact, came across this thread because I have been a youtube junky for a while and found the vid there.

SWS

Old 12-31-2012, 07:03 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by seawalkersee
Whats up with the stickers
extra powa is all

Old 12-31-2012, 07:19 PM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Wow...I just skimmed through 18 pages to see if there was going to be a dyno or a bad ending or something. Maybe even a fuel milage update and NOTHING. Whats up with the stickers and the performance intakes? I saw them listed several times in this thread and have not been on this site for like 6 mos. In fact, came across this thread because I have been a youtube junky for a while and found the vid there.

SWS
Waitin on Racin for our dyno day. After this 1/4tank of fuel gone ill have the average...been recording past fill ups.

R&d Intake:

Old 12-31-2012, 07:47 PM
Rxracer27
Senior User
Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel
Waitin on Racin for our dyno day. After this 1/4tank of fuel gone ill have the average...been recording past fill ups.

R&d Intake:

I got one of those sitting on my dining room table, Racins work on the intake is awesome! Just gather a few more parts before i install mine.
Rob

Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 PM
seawalkersee
New User
Ooh. I am building one of those too. Any numbers on the increaase? I am doing it mostly for the ease and to get rid of the leaks.

SWS

Old 12-31-2012, 11:45 PM
racer30
Senior User
I want one to...

Old 01-01-2013, 08:00 AM
BlueLightning7.3
New User
Ok, now I admit even though I have owned my '94 7.3 IDI-Turbo for a while, im still a novice as far as the technical aspect of it, and I know that this particular topic is fairly old, my question is how exactly did you get the pneumatic set up to work? I mean with all the spring connections and the linkage to make this turbo to work off of boost/vacuum pressures instead of the electronics.

I have been thinking about doing something like this with my truck at some point in the future, been trying to figure out and plan how to do it before I get to the point, and also what kind of turbo to use. Granted, I have changed my mind several times, first I was gonna do the Empire Diesel Performance Procharger supercharger compound kit on top of my factory turbo, then to a VNT/VGT/VVT setup, and now im trying to figure out how to modify the new 6.7L PSD DualBoost single sequential turbo to fit and run on a mechanical setup and to fit on the factory T3 adapter.

And the biggest reason I want the DualBoost turbo, is the dual compressor wheels. I mean even set at a low psi, my 7.3 would get double the air charge on the intake, it would spool up quicker due to the VNT and wastegate setup on the turbo. It would be like having a twin-turbo setup, without the expense, extra underhood heat and tubing, plus with the extra room on the passenger side I have in the '94 F-250, I can mount the DualBoost in the same spot you have the HE351VE mounted. Any thoughts or comments on the idea? Does anyone think it can be done?

Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
seawalkersee
New User
I have a few questions. Is there enough room on the pass side runner to make it larger like the one on the drivers side? I am going to put this style on mine when I do the turbo this summer. I have an early powerstroke turbo and was going to run it under the cab since I have long tubes, but seeing your downpipe and such, I think I will just run it the same way as you AND relocat my battery since the under fender tray has rusted into nothing. This thread is giving me some good ideas. Also, I would not run my CDR quite like you have yours. If it runs away, you are screwed. I would mount a catch can and put it in line. Run the drain into a "T" with your return from the turbo as well as a vent on the top of the can and volia.

SWS

Old 01-01-2013, 10:49 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Not worried about a run away. I can make the back pressure so high with this turbo it limits RPMs, if it did I just take my 1/2" wrench and close the vanes. Then it runs extremely rough and I just dump the clutch in a higher gear. During the testing of different springs, when it got stuck it was awful. Just bout killed it when shifting

Old 01-01-2013, 06:31 PM
seawalkersee
New User
Okay, help me out with this one...the "Drive Pressure". What is it and where do you get your signal for that? I have to think that it is what the turbo sees(?) as back pressure or something. If that is the case, you could bolt that into the cyl (from the other guys video) and have your boost pressure on the other side. To tune that it, your spring could stay the same and just adjust it up or down on the rod to make it faster/slower or whatever. You would have to have it dialed in pretty close to what you are going to run prior to bolting it up.

Essentually, if you were to use the automatic cyl, you would need to get it close to how you are driving it now and then bolt it up. But with no load gauge, it would be one way or the other. I can not see it changing unless you used a hobbs switch in paralell to that for the vacuum/boost with an electrical cut off/turn on. But, with out the entire knowledge of the drive pressure, I may just be pissing in the wind.

SWS

Old 01-01-2013, 07:06 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ive thought about the twin comp 6.7 turbo too, interesting idea.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:30 AM
seawalkersee
New User
Twin what? I was trying to make it a stand alone deal, basically what I think he is trying to do/make although I do not see a problem with what he is doing now, it seems to work fine if he is able to pass a cummins as he drives it. From what I understand, there is a problem starting it because the spring is hoding the turbo too far closed and it is not allowing the exhaust to flow causing the heat (outside of the cyl.). A hobbs switch on a relay that gets power when it starts to activate the actuator would fix that and then allow the turbo to function as he has it setup. I would still build a catch can that drains into a "T" at the oil return from the turbo.

Basically, I am the retard that would re-invent the wheel to fit my needs. I would never attempt this setup unless I came upon one of those turbos for reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy cheap like they did. I have a powerstroke turbo off of a 7.3 that I am going to run this summer, but would make it a blow through on my gasser if I could get one of these. I like the way this one is setup though. I have been thinking about relocating my battery from the pass side to the driver's side for a while. I would build a fiberglass box around it to keep the heat away from my AC and let the cold air into the inlet...Hmmmmm...

SWS

Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM
BlueLightning7.3
New User
Twin what? I was trying to make it a stand alone deal, basically what I think he is trying to do/make although I do not see a problem with what he is doing now, it seems to work fine if he is able to pass a cummins as he drives it. From what I understand, there is a problem starting it because the spring is hoding the turbo too far closed and it is not allowing the exhaust to flow causing the heat (outside of the cyl.). A hobbs switch on a relay that gets power when it starts to activate the actuator would fix that and then allow the turbo to function as he has it setup. I would still build a catch can that drains into a "T" at the oil return from the turbo.

Basically, I am the retard that would re-invent the wheel to fit my needs. I would never attempt this setup unless I came upon one of those turbos for reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy cheap like they did. I have a powerstroke turbo off of a 7.3 that I am going to run this summer, but would make it a blow through on my gasser if I could get one of these. I like the way this one is setup though. I have been thinking about relocating my battery from the pass side to the driver's side for a while. I would build a fiberglass box around it to keep the heat away from my AC and let the cold air into the inlet...Hmmmmm...

SWS
Lol I think he was referring the post I made about the twin-sided compressor turbo from the current 6.7L PSD

Old 01-02-2013, 06:31 AM
BlueLightning7.3
New User
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
Ive thought about the twin comp 6.7 turbo too, interesting idea.
I know right?? I mean it would solve alot of the drivability, heating, and excessive tubing problems that go along with any compound or sequential twin-turbos. It would be vastly easier to cool with an intercooler and water/meth, and with both the VNT and wastegate technologies being implemented, anybody would have almost instant throttle responce, the power of twins in a single, great fuel econ, and so many other benefits.

The most appealing thing to me about it, is the VNT and wastegate setup, combining the 2 very different technologies into 1 turbo, it can be install on any engine, including the 6.9/7.3 IDIs, and the very early gen-1 Powerstroke Diesels ('94-1/2 to '97), because your able to set the wastegate for low boost, that way you get the full benefit of the turbo, without blowing out your head gaskets or studs due to overheating or over-boosting

Quick Reply: Project: he351ve turbo