Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Project: he351ve turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 03:44 AM
rotaryboots
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91dirtydiesel, I've been thinking a lot about your Arduino board to control the vanes. I'm pretty well versed in writing code for Arduino and picaxe chips so I was thinking a little mix of using the tps (or adding a tps if you have a manual) for throttle input, and rpm sensor for engine speed engagment. Together I could probably setup a code that would make it so the vanes are tight for low rpm and high fuel, and open vanes for higher rpms like 2k+ rpm and light-medium fuel...or however the vanes would work best. From what I read there are guys that have done a similar setup when adding a ve turbo to their trucks. Maybe I'll run down and buy another Arduino to code using my truck as the guinnepig since I have an auto (have tps). Could easily add LEDs to indicate where the VE is currently set at while you're driving. I'll post more when I get somewhere on this in my free time.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:41 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Hey thanks, yea I was thinking I'd need rpm too because when I'd let out the throttle going down hill or something the rpms stay up, with my manual tranny. Going down hit at 50 it still reads 4-6psi so if it shut it would basically be like an engine brake. Do you think using a stepper motor would be best? I was planning on rigging up an electronic actuator

Old 10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Nice to see you over here Rotaryboots. Anyway isn't a stepper motor what comes with it? Maybe you could still use that to keep the price down a bit. And plus since they are used already, it would be easier to rig it up to work in my opinion.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:34 AM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
hey 91 im not sure how much you have drivin lately but im sure alot of us are wanting to know the same thing and im going to ask it................. FUEL MILEAGE. is it better now that your pushing 1psi at idle or has it gotten worse. im mainly asking because im also thinking of putting one of these bad boys on my truck. not only would it make it sound meaner but make this sucker look meaner. ive done a bit lately to my truck and i really need to post up some pictures in my garage but im liking the way my truck is turning out. and honestly want to know how well yours is doing. im thinking about sticking one of racin's cams i beleive who it was who made them in there so that would do alot of good with this turbo idea .

Old 11-05-2012, 02:11 AM
91dirtydiesel
Postmaster
Well I've been driving it a ton, but honestly haven't been driving very Eco friendly lol been getting around 13.5mpg (rural, suburban driving) I'll try to tone it down on the next few tanks and see what I can do

Old 11-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Mikey Oldaker
Senior User
Sweet cause that thing sounds really good and with the way my truck is looking and honestly I want her to sound mean too while getting some good fuel eco

Old 11-05-2012, 07:25 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I cant imagine a tuned VGT causing poor fuel economy. I was looking at a vid of the Fleece MAP only standalone version, its pretty cool, has a couple different setting. In a nutshell you have : tight - high fast boost, DD typical good all around, open- for cruising down the hwy it opens up and boost is at 0-1 for max mpg's

Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 PM
kobaltblue
Elder User
Originally Posted by 91dirtydiesel
Well I've been driving it a ton, but honestly haven't been driving very Eco friendly lol been getting around 13.5mpg (rural, suburban driving) I'll try to tone it down on the next few tanks and see what I can do

easier said then done! I love driving against the boost...Cant wait too see this finished up and working got my eye on Craigslist.

more fuel, studs, and R&D IDI Perfromance stickers. can't go wrong with that combo.
SHHHH dont give out the secret 10 stickers = 100hp

Old 11-05-2012, 11:04 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
I cant imagine a tuned VGT causing poor fuel economy. I was looking at a vid of the Fleece MAP only standalone version, its pretty cool, has a couple different setting. In a nutshell you have : tight - high fast boost, DD typical good all around, open- for cruising down the hwy it opens up and boost is at 0-1 for max mpg's
That's the cool thing about the Fleece unit. They have so much tuneability and you can tune it in any matter you want depending on the boost and the parameters you set... Win-win in my opinion.

Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI
That's the cool thing about the Fleece unit. They have so much tuneability and you can tune it in any matter you want depending on the boost and the parameters you set... Win-win in my opinion.
The NOT win of course would be the $900 price tag. I dont know how much the MAP only unit is though, 88Ford did you ever call them and find out? But, once you get it on and dialed.. never have to look back. Working exhaust brake, adjustability on the fly

Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
I never did call them but I do know of one guy who called them a while back and he said they do have the boost only units. Also iirc it only cost about $780 for it or something like that...

Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hairyboxnoogle
It all depends on how far that go pedal is to the floor, regardless of boost...

Right Brandon???

Old 11-08-2012, 02:35 AM
Jo00di
New User
I think its time for both of your trucks to get some studs as well.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM
88 Ford IDI
Posting Guru
Hey Brandon, a while back you mentioned that a Ford 6.0 vgt would be harder to control pneumatically than a he351ve. What is the specific reasoning for this out of curiousity?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:16 PM
FordGuy100
Senior User
Originally Posted by 88 Ford IDI
Hey Brandon, a while back you mentioned that a Ford 6.0 vgt would be harder to control pneumatically than a he351ve. What is the specific reasoning for this out of curiousity?
Maybe the location of the VGT controller is in a hard area? I'm trying to find pictures to confirm.

Quick Reply: Project: he351ve turbo