6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 F250 towing problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Abroadwa
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 F250 towing problem

I made the selection of going back to Ford and purchased a 2011 F250 for the purpose of pulling a fifth wheel. Added a leaf, truck is level. Maiden voyage was a failure so looking for help. My truck is a crewcab 4x4 6.7L assumed powerhouse. Bought the fifth wheel that weighs just under 14k. We had issue with unloaded as well. Tow/haul mode on or off, same problem. Small hills truck slows to less than 20 mph, no matter what I do. It's been checked out ok at dealership and they are coming to hook up some equipment (super thankful to dealership) and take it up same gradual climb hill we had issue on each of 3 times. Scared we'd never make it up a real mountain. RPM's drop, no boost, slight surging. Everything I see and read, this truck should have no problem pulling this trailer. So looking for advice.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:12 PM
ken kenmnedy
Posting Guru
take this down to the 6.7 fourm there might be a clue down there just go down fourms page you will find it

Old 05-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Hi Abroadwa,

I'm going to move this down to the 6.7L forum.

Old 05-27-2012, 03:12 PM
hschiro
Senior User
Just a guess but I would think you have a loose turbo pipe somewhere and are loosing boosts and power. This truck can pull that load in its sleep. I am sure they will get it figured out. Keep us posted.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 PM
Abroadwa
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hschiro
Just a guess but I would think you have a loose turbo pipe somewhere and are loosing boosts and power. This truck can pull that load in its sleep. I am sure they will get it figured out. Keep us posted.
Even though they put it on the computer and everything checked ok? Everything checked they said on test drive. I did two test drives with trailer, 10-15 mins I hit a 5% or so grade and down to less than 20 mph if even that fast.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:47 PM
majkthreads
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd take it to a different dealership to have it looked at.

Or hook up your five and have a dealer rep in with you and show them first hand what it's doing.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Fair weight, moderate grade. What rpm are you turning in what gear?

Steve

Old 05-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Abroadwa
Freshman User
Originally Posted by majkthreads
I'd take it to a different dealership to have it looked at.

Or hook up your five and have a dealer rep in with you and show them first hand what it's doing.
Mech from dealership is coming out Tuesday afternoon, hooking up some equipment and taking that same route with 5th wheel hooked up. RPM dies off as well, expected downshift and high RPM, but didn't unless I stopped and put in 1st, but when I shifted to 2nd not much go, had to downshift. This couldn't even be considered a hill, just an incline. Would never get up a real mountain guaranteed.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
RogerM
Junior User
Something is wrong in there. My 5'er loaded weights about 15,000 and it takes a really big hill slow it down.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:58 PM
Abroadwa
Freshman User
I suggested maybe a hole or loose hose, they said it would throw a code

Old 05-27-2012, 07:02 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I'm pulling 10,000 - 13,000 lb trailers up 7% and 8% grades here in Utah at 10,000 foot elevation with no problem. Usually having to take my foot off the pedal or I'd be breaking the speed limits on those roads.

Something is not right.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:30 AM
fixdent
Senior User
yep, something wrong for sure. How does it run while not pulling. Does your turbo boost go up to around 20 when you nail it.

Mine pulls 10000 like nothing....actually scary.

--
Gordon

Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
And your shifter is in D, right? , not M (for manual mode),
and don't have any gears locked out..

you said ' RPM dies off as well, expected downshift and high RPM, but didn't unless I stopped and put in 1st, but when I shifted to 2nd not much go, had to downshift'

sounds like manual mode and you have the upper gears locked out so it WON'T upshift. Put it in D.

Sam

Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Abroadwa
Freshman User
Started out in "D" with TOW/HAUL mode until it got under 20 mph with pedal floored. Then took out of tow/haul mode. No better. Then tried "M" mode shifting down/up, nothing. I was under 20 mph at that point. Downshifted to second, punched it, still dying, slight surging/jerking. I finally stopped, put in first gear and crawled up the hill still surging very slightly, but had RPM's climb, so then shifted to second and started slowing again. Tried this route three times as we unloaded my Polaris and most of water. Third time was an almost empty trailer and just us in the truck, but same thing.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Abroadwa
Started out in "D" with TOW/HAUL mode until it got under 20 mph with pedal floored. Then took out of tow/haul mode. No better. Then tried "M" mode shifting down/up, nothing. I was under 20 mph at that point. Downshifted to second, punched it, still dying, slight surging/jerking. I finally stopped, put in first gear and crawled up the hill still surging very slightly, but had RPM's climb, so then shifted to second and started slowing again. Tried this route three times as we unloaded my Polaris and most of water. Third time was an almost empty trailer and just us in the truck, but same thing.
thanks for the clarification.. and without the trailer, flooring it, it upshifts as expected?

Sam

Quick Reply: 2011 F250 towing problem