1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

ccv mod?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
I WILL be honest.I have 320000 miles. When mine idles it smokes out of the dipstick with it pushed in...I want to do the tube routed into the exhaust to scavenge much like a race car does.Afterall the factory setup placed an air pull situation on the crank case.obviously no where near a vaccum but less crankcase pressure helps minimize oil leaks,maximize ring seal and help hp.My only concern is if it will be throwing alot of crap out the tail pipe....Maybe I should find out..that will teach them tail gaters!

Old 06-25-2012, 08:22 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by powerstoked!
Here is my issue, sometimes that thing gets to poopin out a noticeable amount of smoke, haven't quite figured out the situation that makes it smoke more but it doesn't do it all the time. Living in Commiefornia, I get kind of nervous sitting at a light and having smoke poofing out from under the truck because that's a super good way to get a ticket in this daggon state. So I was thinking about putting a "T" fitting in the hose somewhere and routing another length of heater hose back to the intake. Any thoughts on where I should put the fitting? Mostly I just want the smoke to be piped back into the intake so it isn't coming out from under the truck anymore, but I don't want the oil problem to come back. Any help yall have would be much appreciated. --Powerstoked!
My plan at some point was to weld a bung into the exhaust somewhere under the back of cab area and put it back into the exhaust, weld it in at a 45º to the exhaust for a slight scavenging effect. With stacks I didn't want the oil mist all over the bed so I havent done it to the reg cab, I will evetually do that on the crew cab.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Wow, Rod, I just realized you have three PSD's, cool.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:10 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Wow, Rod, I just realized you have three PSD's, cool.

Yea, its kind of a problem, they take up valuable shop space...check your PM's.

Diesel Rod

Old 06-26-2012, 08:41 PM
Ken_C
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Been giving this some thought and dont think piping it into the exhaust with out some kind of checkvalve is going to work. you will pressurize the crankcase with exhaust gasses. the pressures in the exhaust system are always going to be higher than in the crankcase. the way gassers do it is with a PCV valve. so why not a diesel?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:00 AM
1973dieselhighboy
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ken_C
Been giving this some thought and dont think piping it into the exhaust with out some kind of checkvalve is going to work. you will pressurize the crankcase with exhaust gasses. the pressures in the exhaust system are always going to be higher than in the crankcase. the way gassers do it is with a PCV valve. so why not a diesel?
well you are correct you would need a check valve if it was fitted into the up pipes but if you are running a straight pipe no cat or muffler then you would put it after the turbo some were and put the fitting at an angle so the exhaust would flow around the pipe and then pull the vapors ot of the tube, if you have ever used a air lift for coolant or something similar that uses pressure air that flows past a port to atmosphere it will pull vacuum on that port, which if you built the fitting into the exhaust correctly then it would work just like a gas pcv system, and the factory breather in the spacer by the turbo works the same as the exhaust setup would it pulls a vacuum on the crankcase and as more air flows by it pulls harder

Old 06-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
There is no need for a check valve if you do it correctly.

When you install it into the exhaust, your supposed to check it with a water vacuum gauge.

When you've aquired all your going to get vacuum wise by beating it into place and setting the angle, you weld it in.

How are you going to create back-pressure using a system that the truck comes stock with?

So many people have provided false information that doing this will give you back pressure.

Venturi effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is what your creating.
A pressurized difference pulls flow.

They have been doing this on gassers for years.
Putting a vacuum pull on a gas motor has been seen to increase 10-15 hp.

I have a pipe setting on my tool box waiting to do it still.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
If your going to do this, you need to rout it into the exhaust where there is a "strait" section.
You cannot do it to the up-pipes. There is not enough space, you cannot simply do this with a 1/4 inch pipe.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:30 PM
powerstoked!
Senior User
Alright, I abandoned my last uninformed and retarded idea and came up with this... Large diesels use CCV filtering setups which route back into the intake, much like our stock non-filter setup does. So I looked around and found BD Diesel makes a coalescing filter setup for our trucks. Problem is, it's a plastic piece of crap and it costs $350 and it would still have to be adapted...

So I've been looking at alternatives and have found coalescing filters of about the same capacity with adequate flow rates like this one: Amazon.com: Ingersoll Rand F35341-400-VS 1/2-Inch Air Line Filter, Black: Home Improvement

So I have the doghouse flipped, I plumb heater hose to this filter, use a 1/2 male NPT to 3/4 hose barb fitting on both sides of the filter, then plumb the hose back into the intake. I would think that the suction from the turbo might help, but my only question is if I use this filter, which should take all of the oil vapor out of the crankcase gasses, and then pipe it back into the intake where it went stock, is this filter apparatus going to be too restrictive to provide adequate crankcase ventilation? I'm a student right now, so I don't have a gajillion dollars to throw at testing the idea and investing in gauges and all that trash to run said tests. So what do yall think? It's $42 and has a 1.9oz polycarbonate bowl with a metal guard/shroud to protect it built on it to catch the coalesced oil. In my little mind, this is the perfect setup at such a low price--and it's made by Ingersoll Rand!!! The NPT-barb fittings can be had for a couple bucks each, and I already have 10' of the hose... Thoughts? Comments? Questions? Concerns? Should I go ahead and test it out? Of course, these filters come stock with a 5 micron element and I would have to find an element replacement to a 0.5 or 0.3 micron to utilize this as a coalescing filter...

Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
I think anything less then the size out the dog house will be to small. and I still don't see the point in routing it back into the intake.

What "Large" diesels are you looking at? what do they do with the oil that gets filtered out? I have never seen a diesel other then my PSD that reburned the CCV gasses, but I have never looked over anything newer then my 97 either....

Diesel Rod