6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Help, no start after oil cooler change

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 PM
quackrz
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help, no start after oil cooler change

So I just finished putting the truck back together after replacing the oil cooler, egr cooler, #1 injector, stc fitting, standpipes etc. I have no power. No lights nadda. My battery voltage is 13 volts. Where is the main fuse at. What else would you look for.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2012, 04:22 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts
The usual fuses under steering wheel

And also by Coolant bottle in the engine Bay the little black boxes take cover off there will be fuses and a relays

IDK what specific one to tell ya to look at

And would be good to use a DVM to check the fuses for continuity

Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM
critterf1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did you hook all the grounds back up?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 AM
quackrz
Junior User
Yep all the grounds are hooked up I think Ha. The only ground off the wiring harness is the one under the ficm right?, fuses look good.

Does anyone know if power goes to the ficm first or to the plugs by the drivers side battery first?

Old 05-13-2012, 12:22 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
check icp if you just did an oil cooler you may have damaged your ipr from not being clean enugh

Old 05-13-2012, 01:31 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
does the starter even engauge

Old 05-13-2012, 02:39 PM
quackrz
Junior User
Originally Posted by BLADE35
does the starter even engauge
No, I have no voltage anywhere except at the batteries and alternator. I'm scratching my head here.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
And I take it all the Fuses came back OK

There are some fusable links in some of that wireing IDK

Any power at the Ignition switch

This is going to be an Odd Problem unless it just is a simple wire unhooked somewhere

Have you checked all plugs at PCM

Old 05-13-2012, 04:21 PM
quackrz
Junior User
So I unbolted the fuse panel and checked for voltage at the power wire on the side. No voltage. This is definitely odd. When power comes off the battery and goes down where does it go first? I also checked the ficm relay and no voltage. I also checked the obdII connector, I think the bottom right terminal is supposed to be battery power and no voltage there either.

Oh and where is the pcm located

Old 05-13-2012, 05:34 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For the sake of discussion...are all four battery posts clean & tight? Just throwing that one out there...maybe it's something as simple as that?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:07 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by zhilton
For the sake of discussion...are all four battery posts clean & tight? Just throwing that one out there...maybe it's something as simple as that?

X2 here^^^^^^^^^
Only other thing I would add is clean the Main grounds coming off the Battery negative posts where they attatch at Engine by A/C Compressor and to the Frame at Power steering pump

In addition there are Fusable Links in quite a few of them wires coming off the Batterys

The PCM sits by the Driverside Battery check all its plugs

Old 05-13-2012, 06:51 PM
quackrz
Junior User
Originally Posted by zhilton
Yep took emory cloth to them, thats what I thought at first since the one was a little corroded.

So does main power go to the fuse box first then distribute from there?

The only ground I remember removing is the one on the heat shield under the ficm

Old 05-13-2012, 07:03 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by quackrz
Yep took emory cloth to them, thats what I thought at first since the one was a little corroded.

So does main power go to the fuse box first then distribute from there?

The only ground I remember removing is the one on the heat shield under the ficm
Okay, please post EVERY electrical connector you disconnected. If this truck was running perfectly without any issues prior to the work, you've left something disconnected. It's that simple. Did you disconnect both batteries when you did the work? Let's start there. The passenger side battery is where the alternator and GPCM get their B+. The driver side battery positive terminal is where the main B+ supply goes to the interior. I suspect you have an issue with that terminal.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:14 PM
quackrz
Junior User
Originally Posted by m-chan68
Okay, please post EVERY electrical connector you disconnected. If this truck was running perfectly without any issues prior to the work, you've left something disconnected. It's that simple. Did you disconnect both batteries when you did the work? Let's start there. The passenger side battery is where the alternator and GPCM get their B+. The driver side battery positive terminal is where the main B+ supply goes to the interior. I suspect you have an issue with that terminal.

Ok so I disconnected negative terminal on passenger side battery and disconnected alternator.

disconnected drivers side battery and removed completely.

Disconnected main engine wiring harness and all associated sensors and removed from engine

Disconnected and removed fuel injector harness

removed ficm

You said interior gets power from drivers side battery. You might be onto something here. did I forget to attach a terminal to the + side? Right now I just have the battery cable attached going to the passenger side batt.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:30 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Originally Posted by m-chan68

Great Info right there^^Learned somthing today

Quick Reply: Help, no start after oil cooler change