Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

100+ cc DB2...???

Old 05-04-2012, 11:28 PM
racer30
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK Guy's I like the way you think... Good debate about the problems that need to be solved makes good sense. My thoughts on a Cat P pump is to drive it with a belt like a blower. Mount it like a AC pump with a bracket to keep the belt tight and running half crank speed a rotating mount for timing it. Just simple timing marks on the balancer to get it close and start it and adjust as needed. Custom fuel lines to the injectors, What am I forgeting? OH does the P pump need engine oil to lube the drive end of the shaft? That might be a problem.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:47 AM
turtlemann14
Elder User
i don't think a belt would hold up... could be wrong though

Old 05-05-2012, 11:59 PM
racer30
Senior User
The blower belts on Drag cars hold up to hundreds of horsepower needed to turn the blower. I am sure it would handle a 50 to 100 or so hp needed to run this pump. The only thing I can see is long term use could build some heat in the belt. Cam shaft belts run 60,000 miles on twin cam 4 bangers before recomended replacement. So I still think it would work.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:33 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by racer30
The blower belts on Drag cars hold up to hundreds of horsepower needed to turn the blower. I am sure it would handle a 50 to 100 or so hp needed to run this pump. The only thing I can see is long term use could build some heat in the belt. Cam shaft belts run 60,000 miles on twin cam 4 bangers before recomended replacement. So I still think it would work.
Im not saying it wouldnt, but why when its already gear driven? Only thing i can come up with against it would be the timing would jump around slightly with a belt, and belts are more likely to break than gears.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:47 AM
racer30
Senior User
I see your point....But I disagree,,, the P pump wont fit without modifing the intake and pump gear drive assembly. Alot of machine work would need to be done to make it fit on top of the engine. So why not remove the Gear slap a cover over the inside hole on the IP mount and remote mount the pump. Cam shafts need to be timed for the engine to run too, Running a 1.25 inch toothed blower belt at 50% crank speed would do the job. The IP is lubed by the fuel so that won't be a problem. If I had the extra time and money for a P pump upgrade I think I would look into it myself. Its just a Idea.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
turtlemann14
Elder User
the pump timing needs to be a little more accurate than a cams timing.
why not though a timing chain on there in that case?

Old 05-06-2012, 10:38 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not to change the subject of the thread , It is a DB2 thread, but if I was to run an Inline or Cat pump, I wouldnt do it with a belt. Yes it can be done, yes its been done, Yes it works, but it isnt as easy as throwing a belt up on there and tossing a pump behind it on a bracket. The fact is, our IDI's already have a mechanical pump driven at a half ratio to the crank on the stock setup, why re-invent the wheel? It would be easier to build a new timing cover and modify the stock timing gear than it would be to mount a belt driven pump. Between the superchargers and belt driven pumps, you guys got me thinking you just have a fascination with just watching a belt go around in circles ...(Why doesnt this forum have a :Stickpoke: emoticon?)...

Anyway, If I was throwing the fuel a P or even Cat pump could put out, at the engine, I wouldnt be using the stock intake anyway... The natural direction of such a project would be more along the lines of the Hypermax engine...

Old 05-07-2012, 03:56 PM
turtlemann14
Elder User
so any new updates drummer?

Old 05-08-2012, 12:12 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by RacinNdrummin
Not to change the subject of the thread , It is a DB2 thread, but if I was to run an Inline or Cat pump, I wouldnt do it with a belt. Yes it can be done, yes its been done, Yes it works, but it isnt as easy as throwing a belt up on there and tossing a pump behind it on a bracket. The fact is, our IDI's already have a mechanical pump driven at a half ratio to the crank on the stock setup, why re-invent the wheel? It would be easier to build a new timing cover and modify the stock timing gear than it would be to mount a belt driven pump. Between the superchargers and belt driven pumps, you guys got me thinking you just have a fascination with just watching a belt go around in circles ...(Why doesnt this forum have a :Stickpoke: emoticon?)...

Anyway, If I was throwing the fuel a P or even Cat pump could put out, at the engine, I wouldnt be using the stock intake anyway... The natural direction of such a project would be more along the lines of the Hypermax engine...

lol.. i agree with ya on the intake bit. However, im pretty sure the CAT V-pump could work with a stock intake, or one slightly modified... just sayin.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:18 AM
racer30
Senior User
YA YA (Dream killer) I see where you are going.... I think your on the right track.. all info is good info. Nobody gets anywhere without a little bump in the road or a broken pumpshaft or two.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:33 AM
typefour
Laughing Gas
cat v pump hasno timing advance in it, it is done in the gear.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:22 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Russ, your correct, the Cat pumps dont have internal timing advance, but most diesel pumps dont, including P-pumped cummins. Its definately a step backward as far as drivability is concerned, but for the type that need that sort of fuel delivery for their engine, I dont think drivabilty is the top priority. I think with the right cam specs and timing, a big pimp like those could be made to work decently on one of our engines.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Originally Posted by turtlemann14
so any new updates drummer?
Not yet, working on figuring out a way to effectively get some new fill ports drilled in the hardened rotor... Its harder than it sounds...But ill figure something out...

Old 05-08-2012, 11:55 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Not really, i bet its just as hard as it sounds.. i tried to drill through a leaf spring once.. lemme just say dont waste your time. I cant imagine the stuff the build pump guts out of.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:49 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
I willing to bet the pump parts are made from 8620, and if not, something very similar. If the stuff is case hardened, than its just a matter of getting through around .020" of material before its smooth sailing.

Either way, I have some tricks up my sleeve, and with the help of a few carbide drill bits, I think it can be done. High RPM and easy on the feed rate... We shall see.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 100+ cc DB2...???